D'Backs ditching black caps?

HatManTC

"A" monogram > "D" monogram.

I've never liked the D/snake, because monograms on MLB caps are traditionally derived from the city/state name where the team plays its games, not the team's nickname (with the conspicuous exception being the Philadelphia A's and their "A", since modified to "A's", which technically makes it a logo, not a monogram). Furthermore, I've never liked the teams that wear more than one logo on their caps. The monogram/cap logo is a means of identification. It's much harder for a team to claim they're trying to identify themselves if the means of identification changes every few games. Especially if the team in question is an expansion team looking to leave its imprint on the collective conscience of the sports world, and specifically its home market.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The shame about the Diamondbacks is that they are SO CLOSE to having a really good looking set of uniforms, and yet SO FAR away. They're another team I could fix in about eight minutes, if given the chance--but I'm never going to be given the chance...

They should wear these!

indie%20020.jpg

These were their original road caps, and one of their worst looks, in the opinion of this D-Backs fan (though the white crown-purple bill is up there). I like both their current home and road looks, but I would prefer it if they used the same logo. If I had to choose one, I would probably go for the D, but I could also live with the A.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

The Colors were not taken from the snake the name represents.

The colors are as follows:

Purple: Typical in southwestern looks and also A tribute to Jerry Colangelo's other franchise (Suns)

Turquoise (not teal): A typical "southwestern" color and a tribute to the native american tribes in Arizona

Copper: Arizona is known as the Copper State. Arizona is the #1 copper producing state in the nation

The pattern on both the A logo and the D logo is to represent the pattern on the diamondback rattlesnake, not the colors.

Notice the diamond pattern on the snake

diamondback_rattlesnake_big.jpg

Dropping the purple and just going turquoise/copper would be a fine tweak.

i'll disagree, the purple is what makes them unique. Although there is one person who lives in the same state will disagree with me, i'll just call him stat1 ;)

i'll disagree, the purple is what makes them unique. Although there is one person who lives in the same state will disagree with me, i'll just call him stat1 ;)

If by "unique" you mean "ugly," then we're in perfect agreement. I can live w/ the Suns in purple, as they've had it in full effect since '68. But the Diamondbacks have too many wacky colors. The only dude who can rock that many hues is the Easter Bunny.

BTW, Gary, email me and lemme know the details and source of your info on the black "A" cap. I'm intrigued!

I was thinking that they should use the A in Arizona of the jerseys as a primary. I bought a pinstripe cap with that A. And I think that will be better than the one they have now. New Jerseys would be a plus as well.

From what I have heard, rumor: they will be doing something. They are still wearing their road cap. But from what I know, they are keeping everything  the same for next season.

Here in Az, there has been nothing unless the ownership group pull a big surprise after the all-star break.

I hope they get rid of the road cap. I hat the D-snake logo along with their batting practice hat logo.

they will be changing, but not what you think, they will not be using their black caps, but they are going to try to transition in a black A cap for next year, they won't be getting rid of the D caps, but they won't be using them as much this year or next year. Sorry to burst any bubble that Dback logo haters have, but they are keeping them this next and for 2008 and 09. The owner has already expressed that he loves the logos and the colors and wouldn't change them for the world.

Would one of you photshop virtuosos mind doing a mock-up of the current Diamondbacks home cap in black rather than purple? If you're really ambitions, maybe recolor the current home unis w/ black caps and black pinstripes, a la the change from teal to black that the Marlins worked a few years ago. Cheers.

But there's another team in their division that, not only uses purple, but used it before them. How unique is that? Granted, the Rockies don't use purple as much, they should.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived