Sign in to follow this  
BamaHater

Montreal Expos Hat Question

I just bought this Expos New Era hat from Distant Replays. They say it is from 1993-1995. Here is my question. Is there a difference from the one they say is from 93-95 and the one they used in their last season in 04. I will attach pics.

One I bought from DR. 93-95

9395EXPOS.jpg

From MLB.com Used in last season

pMLB2-1669527dt.jpg

Can't really tell any difference. I bought an authentic 04 Expos home jersey and wanted to know if the hat I bought is similar to the ones they wore in 04. If it is not, no big deal but just curious.

expos have had only two different on field hats in their history. the beautiful tricolor and their later solid blue model. and they had those red ones for bp towards the end.

I don't think there was an MLB logo on the back in 1992. Other than that, it has been the same cap from 1992 through 2004.

DR's hat names can be misleading. That Expos hat should be called "1993-2004". Many of DR's "Throwback" hats differ only slightly from hats the team still wears - KC Royals 69-92, White Sox 91-92, LA Dodgers 58-92, Boston 56-73, Cubs 58-92 - these are the same style the teams wear today, but the "throwbacks" have flat logo embroidery, no MLB logo on back, and GREEN undersides of bills whether it is correct or not.

Why did you buy an Expos hat? They are gone baby, you gotta get over it. Don't live in the past.

An ironic statement from someone named after a car company that has been defunct for 40 years.

Why did you buy an Expos hat? They are gone baby, you gotta get over it. Don't live in the past.

Because the Expos hats are collectors' items. I have both hats myself.

Not to mention, a good looking hat also.

Its just the same when ppl buy old blue jays logo. I sure would buy an expos hat.

DR's hat names can be misleading. That Expos hat should be called "1993-2004". Many of DR's "Throwback" hats differ only slightly from hats the team still wears - KC Royals 69-92, White Sox 91-92, LA Dodgers 58-92, Boston 56-73, Cubs 58-92 - these are the same style the teams wear today, but the "throwbacks" have flat logo embroidery, no MLB logo on back, and GREEN undersides of bills whether it is correct or not.

Which is why they are different. I know I wouldn't want DR to sell me something that was called a current authentic and end up having flat embroidery, no MLB logo and a green underbill and have their customer service tell me "it's the same thing." No, it's not -- it's like a bad bootleg of their current cap. If someone sold it as authentic on eBay today they'd end up in this forum's "expose the b*" thread.

I appreciate the fact that I can get a pre-1993 Cubs cap like the ones I owned as a kid. That hasn't made me shell out the cash for one though. (Can't trust the NE sizes, gotta try 'em on first.) But there is a difference between what the 2006 Cubs wear and the 1958-1992 Cubs wore, however small.

Here's another ?? Last month when I played MLB06, I used the Nationals with the Expos throwbacks I'd noticed that the Expos helmets was not tri-color but it was black. Did the Expos wore black hat in the 60's or it's was only in the helmets?

Here's another ?? Last month when I played MLB06, I used the Nationals with the Expos throwbacks I'd noticed that the Expos helmets was not tri-color but it was black. Did the Expos wore black hat in the 60's or it's was only in the helmets?

The Expos first helmets were the same as their last ones - solid royal blue. I think they wore the tri-color helmet from 1976 (or 77) through 1991. The hats were the tri-color "pinwheel" from their inception in 1969 through 1991.

I have the tri-color hat and I LOVE it, I get tons of compliments about it.

Now if only I could ever find an adjustable one instead of the common fitted ones.

I want an Expos hat so bad. They're so cool looking. I almost had one when my dad and brother were in Montreal for his hockey tournament a few months ago. They couldn't find me an Expos hat. Too bad.

I want an Expos hat so bad. They're so cool looking. I almost had one when my dad and brother were in Montreal for his hockey tournament a few months ago. They couldn't find me an Expos hat. Too bad.

Last spring (2005), I wanted the pinwheel Twins Enterprise Franchise Expos cap, and Lids only had size M and L (I wear a XL). I kept hoping they wouldbe getting more in stock, but eventually, the L's dissapeared, then the M's. Now, Lids have the Expos still listed, but no products. It's a shame... Anyway, I ran into a shop in Fargo, ND, and there on their clearance rack, the Expos Franchise pinwheel cap, in XL on sale for $10. Boy did I luck out...

pMLB2-1982954dt.jpg

Moose

You can get the pinwheel style 5950 from Mickey's Place or Hatland.com. I got the Hatland Gary Carter special. Compared to a typical 5950 (or DR throwback), the bill is thicker and stiffer, the crown material is finer and more synthetic feeling, and the crown stitching is clear.

NEFcoopmonexp-whtredroy.jpg