Tigers-Mariners throwbacks on 7/9

deliver2david

Well seeing that Tampa Bay wore minor league uniforms and some MLB teams wear Negro League throwbacks, I think this is fine. Remember the Brewers and Braves wear milwaukee Braves uni's one game a year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Pilots are the current day Brewers.  The Mariners have no affiliation with the Pilots...

Other than playing in the same city for chrissakes!

Who do you think has more interest in remembering the Pilots, the fans in Seattle or in Milwaukee? Should Baltimore Ravens fans celebrate their Cleveland Browns heritage? Why don't the Twins wear Washington Senators throwbacks?

Sometimes you gotta just use common sense.

Watching this game right now on local TV.

Pilots uniforms look great; the Tigers' ones do, too, except they're wearing the road caps with the orange logo and button; I don't think they wore these in 1969.

Other nice touches: The large MLB logos on the sleeves, and the lack of an MLB logo on the back of the Pilots' hats. I also like that the M's have Pilots' batting helmets in addition to hats; sometimes teams get lazy and don't do this.

Watching this game right now on local TV.

Pilots uniforms look great; the Tigers' ones do, too, except they're wearing the road caps with the orange logo and button; I don't think they wore these in 1969.

Other nice touches: The large MLB logos on the sleeves, and the lack of an MLB logo on the back of the Pilots' hats. I also like that the M's have Polits' batting helmets in addition to hats; sometimes teams get lazy and don't do this.

5502543a-2364-4b14-88a7-c7412bcedcfd.jpg

I'm a little disappointed to see the wrong orange logo on the caps.

Oh, those old Seattle Pilots uniforms are so sweet.

And by the way, sure, the Pilots became the Brewers. But the Pilots are so Seattle that it's more proper for the Mariners to use their unis as throwbacks, not the Brewers. You look at those uniforms and you think of old Sicks Stadium with Mount Rainier in the background. You think of horrible baseball. You think of the book "Ball Four." There's nothing Milwaukeeish about the Pilots uniforms.

The Pilots are the current day Brewers.  The Mariners have no affiliation with the Pilots...

Other than playing in the same city for chrissakes!

Sometimes you gotta just use common sense.

Amen my borother. Since the M's actually won, I think they need to stick with these outfits for the rest of the season. The babyblue road jerseys can make a great comeback.

2000Patch.jpg

capt.3ae67bfd57474b8e89275225539ac80f.tigers_mariners_baseball_wajf106.jpg

capt.bd51970e175f45a3b8a9ba904bea9e6c.tigers_mariners_baseball_wajf104.jpg

Those are some SWEET f'ing unis! I am SO buying one of those caps.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

The sad thing is that the Tigers actually could have worn the proper hats and helmets to go along with these jerseys. All they had to do was bring along their home sets, which are identical to what they wore on the road in 1969 (other than the mlb logo and grey under-bill). I can understand sometimes when teams say it would be expensive and not worth the trouble to make up special helmets for just one game, but how hard is it to pack one more box worth of hats and helmets on a road trip?!

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

watched part of the game on TV. glad we beat the Tigers, and those uniforms (favorite touch: the bill of the batting helmets for Seattle :D) are pretty sweet too.

I am a big fan of the old-style upside-down trident aesthetic that the Mariners have to purchase as a throwback. So very cool, and still using powder blue to good effect too. I have one of those Franchise hats, it's awesome.

harperdc.gif

watched part of the game on TV. glad we beat the Tigers, and those uniforms (favorite touch: the bill of the batting helmets for Seattle :D) are pretty sweet too.

I am a big fan of the old-style upside-down trident aesthetic that the Mariners have to purchase as a throwback. So very cool, and still using powder blue to good effect too. I have one of those Franchise hats, it's awesome.

My favorite touch - the striped stirrups! Talk about something obscure that teams might overlook. I took my Dad to the game since we never got to go to a Pilots game back in 1969 when I was only 3, and as my parents later told me, "...we never thought that they'd actually LEAVE!"

Another thing that impressed me - the uniforms actually fit the players instead of the oversized, baggy look seen waaaay too ofen with "turn back the clock" games.

The sad thing is that the Tigers actually could have worn the proper hats and helmets to go along with these jerseys.  All they had to do was bring along their home sets, which are identical to what they wore on the road in 1969 (other than the mlb logo and grey under-bill).  I can understand sometimes when teams say it would be expensive and not worth the trouble to make up special helmets for just one game, but how hard is it to pack one more box worth of hats and helmets on a road trip?!

Agreed. I was very disappointed in that. The helmets maybe I could see, but caps should have been a must. Other than larger-than-'69 block letters and shoulder numbers (and there should have been more of an arched curve to DETROIT), the Tiger uniforms brought back lots of pleasant memories for me. Always loved those Pilots unis too -- I actually saw Seattle wear those crazy powder blue roads with the gold numbers that year at Tiger Stadium...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Kuds to the manufacturer of these unis (Majestic, I would guess) for actually using the correct block number font on the Pilots' jerseys. Mitchell & Ness has been incorrectly using the Red Sox font on these forever. Strangely, the slate blue roads use the correct font, or at least a decent approximation thereof.

And to every player who hiked up his pants to show those wicked striped stirrups: thumbs-up.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived