High School baseball redesign

jverbgraphics

hey everyone,

I just got done doing a baseball uniform redesign for Wisconsin Heights High School (where I coach). We arent changing the uni's anytime soon I did this just for fun. I would love to know what you think. Our two main logos are pretty much ripoffs of the Army Black Night and the "flying W" from University of Wisconsin (though many schools in the state use this). I hope you enjoy! Thanks for your comments. And thanks to Moser for the template. heightsbaseballhomecopy.jpg

heightsbaseballawaycopy.jpg

heightsbaseballhomealtcopy.jpg

heightsbaseballhomealt2copy.jpg

Heightsbaseballaltcopy.jpg

5 different jerseys and 3 different pants, that's a lot of alternates! Personally I'd pick just one colored jersey (either green or black) and get rid of the other.

A few other notes:

-I think it would look better if the black trim on the workmark/numbers was thinner

-The first letter of each word looks very strange. Maybe just have in angling up, instead of up at the bottom and down at the top.

-The Black Knight logo is great for a shoulder patch, but I think it's way too busy to be on the cap for the one alternate.

I like the colors and the WH logo though.

Before I get to the uniforms:

1. What is a "vandguard"? Is that a made-up word, or someone cute pun based on some local name? The closest word in English is "vanguard".

2. If "vanguard" means "the foremost line in battle", how can it be pluralized? There can only be one foremost line, as indicated by the superlative suffix. It's like pluralizing Lone Stars - by definition, there can by only one.

With that out of the way:

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

- way too much mixing and matching. It's high school; most school districts can only afford 1 or 2 uniforms per team, and that's in the wealthier districts.

- not crazy with the waviness of the wordmarks. Wordmarks work best when they're arched or vertically arched. You can also run the wordmark diagonally in a straight line, and a few teams do OK with a horizontal straight line. But there's so much irregularity on these, it reminds me of the horrific mistake the Islanders made with their "Gorton's Fisherman" sweaters, where the numbers were different shapes and sizes to fit the wavy stripe pattern. It's more bothersome to the eye and distorting to the mind's idea of perspective than it is a novel idea, IMO.

- I didn't see a cap logo I liked. The "WH" based on the UW "Motion W" is a reach at best. It looks like the "H" is an afterthought. And while I like the Knight, it is, as was said earlier, way too intricate for a cap logo at any level, especially high school. There are better places for inspiration; my first thought was to modify the old Hartford Whalers logo - there's your "W" and "H". Or some other kind of monogram. But the Motion W looks forced.

Now, to the jerseys:

1. PINSTRIPES WITH SLEEVE: If I can look beyond the weird spelling as questioned earlier, I like this. This could work very nicely. Colors are solid (although it was one of our HS rivals... Grrr...), I like the font, and the shoulder patch is great.

2. GRAY: Would be my favorite if the "H" to start "HEIGHTS" wasn't so conspicuously different from the other letters. And if there was some reflection of the pants striping on the sleeves.

3. GREEN: Another one that's not far off. Why the different number font - the other one works so well! The sleeves could use a touch of white piping also, and the "H" needs work.

4. WHITE VEST WITH PINSTRIPES: My least favorite. Just too... much. The pinstripes, the white caps, the vests, the drawn-out embroidery.

5. BLACK: Not too far off, either. Where #3 lacked sleeve piping, this one could use it around the neck and buttons. The hat logo doesn't work for me, either - the perspective if severely skewed for a single monogram. But the Knight works for me on the chest. Black uniforms suck come June (we had black pullovers), but this looks pretty good.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Before I get to the uniforms:

1. What is a "vandguard"? Is that a made-up word, or someone cute pun based on some local name? The closest word in English is "vanguard".

2. If "vanguard" means "the foremost line in battle", how can it be pluralized? There can only be one foremost line, as indicated by the superlative suffix. It's like pluralizing Lone Stars - by definition, there can by only one.

With that out of the way:

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

- way too much mixing and matching. It's high school; most school districts can only afford 1 or 2 uniforms per team, and that's in the wealthier districts.

- not crazy with the waviness of the wordmarks. Wordmarks work best when they're arched or vertically arched. You can also run the wordmark diagonally in a straight line, and a few teams do OK with a horizontal straight line. But there's so much irregularity on these, it reminds me of the horrific mistake the Islanders made with their "Gorton's Fisherman" sweaters, where the numbers were different shapes and sizes to fit the wavy stripe pattern. It's more bothersome to the eye and distorting to the mind's idea of perspective than it is a novel idea, IMO.

- I didn't see a cap logo I liked. The "WH" based on the UW "Motion W" is a reach at best. It looks like the "H" is an afterthought. And while I like the Knight, it is, as was said earlier, way too intricate for a cap logo at any level, especially high school. There are better places for inspiration; my first thought was to modify the old Hartford Whalers logo - there's your "W" and "H". Or some other kind of monogram. But the Motion W looks forced.

Now, to the jerseys:

1. PINSTRIPES WITH SLEEVE: If I can look beyond the weird spelling as questioned earlier, I like this. This could work very nicely. Colors are solid (although it was one of our HS rivals... Grrr...), I like the font, and the shoulder patch is great.

2. GRAY: Would be my favorite if the "H" to start "HEIGHTS" wasn't so conspicuously different from the other letters. And if there was some reflection of the pants striping on the sleeves.

3. GREEN: Another one that's not far off. Why the different number font - the other one works so well! The sleeves could use a touch of white piping also, and the "H" needs work.

4. WHITE VEST WITH PINSTRIPES: My least favorite. Just too... much. The pinstripes, the white caps, the vests, the drawn-out embroidery.

5. BLACK: Not too far off, either. Where #3 lacked sleeve piping, this one could use it around the neck and buttons. The hat logo doesn't work for me, either - the perspective if severely skewed for a single monogram. But the Knight works for me on the chest. Black uniforms suck come June (we had black pullovers), but this looks pretty good.

Thank you so much for the incredibly detailed rundown! just to touch on your points:

1. Vandguard....yea thats a big type-o! Thanks for catchin that one! It has been changed.

2. It is Vanguard and I dont know how it can be pluralized, thats just how they do it.

On to the uni's:

I know there is a lot of mixing and matching but this isnt for anything real. I just did it for fun so I made a lot of variations.

I see what your saying about the waviness of the wordmark, but I kind of like it because its different. I dont think it can be as bad as the Gortons fisherman Isles logo and unis.

As far as the cap and patch logos go I can somewhat see what you say about the knight logo looking too busy, but ironically that is what is actually on our game hats! The flying WH I think is pretty cool, even though it is a ripoff!

I also enjoyed your jersey critiques, but I think they are (like most of this stuff) in the eye of the beholder. I toyed with the idea of piping on the black jersey but wanted to keep the jersey all black because our jersey's now are all dark green (similar to the one here) and I already put piping on the green ones.

So again, thanks for taking the time to look over my stuff and comment! I really apreciate it. The uniform designs are just for fun and I have fun working on them. I am working on one for my old high school now that is giving me a lot of problems because it has such a long name! Thanks again!

I like the 2 dark jersies, the black one and the green one...the other ones didn't really appeal to me because of the stripes and the logo just didn't "pop."

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Archived