ASG Jerseys

Bouj

No one has mentioned this yet, but I noticed during intros that the AL wore their greys, and the NL wore their whites. Absolutely no alt jerseys! Aside from Arroyo wearing the wrong sleeves (black instead of red), everyone had it together.

Well, unless you are a Mets pinstripes enthusiast.

No one has mentioned this yet, but I noticed during intros that the AL wore their greys, and the NL wore their whites. Absolutely no alt jerseys! Aside from Arroyo wearing the wrong sleeves (black instead of red), everyone had it together.

This is the case every year. The never have been alts unless you count the Mets non-pinstripe white jersey.

No one has mentioned this yet, but I noticed during intros that the AL wore their greys, and the NL wore their whites.  Absolutely no alt jerseys!  Aside from Arroyo wearing the wrong sleeves (black instead of red), everyone had it together.

This is the case every year. The never have been alts unless you count the Mets non-pinstripe white jersey.

Yeah they do that so the teams somewhat match eachother.. it'd be a mess if there were all different jersey colors running around

I noticed that too (especially Arroyo). Usually you'd have an Indian in their blue jersey. I'm glad it goes like that (gray vs. white). I could see the two white Met unis being used, but it would look bush league if there were a ton of different colors being put out...on a side note...don't the Padres look silly when they are the away team in the ASG?

Be still my foolish heart. It actally looked like a real baseball game instead of a Sunday morning beer league game where everyone wears whatever they find in the top of the clothes hamper. Except for the rediculously-fitting pants that are the trend today. :blink:

Question:

I seem to remember I think it was the '76 or '77 game (Yankee Stadium) as being the most "colorful". If memory serves me, members of the Pirates wore two different combost that night - Yellow jerseys/black pants and black jerseys/yellow pants. Is this correct?

don't the Padres look silly when they are the away team in the ASG?

No different than how the Giants look when the ASG is at a NL park.

don't the Padres look silly when they are the away team in the ASG?

No different than how the Giants look when the ASG is at a NL park.

They should have broke out the camo jerseys. That would be something.

The All-Star game uniforms seemed to have been standardized around 1997. The last time I remember a colored alt in the ASG was in 1996 when all of the Indians wore their blue tops.

Personally, I miss the days of one Oakland Athletic wearing green and another one wearing yellow. Now one baseline is full of guys wearing gray and the other is full of guys wearing white.

How tragic. A team wearing matching uniforms.

Lighten up, we're talking about an exhibition game. If one team is going to wear gray and another team is going to wear white, then why have the players wear the different team uniforms? Why not just make specialized All-Star uniforms or trot the players out in the American and National BP tops?

Part of the beauty of the All-Star Game used to be the different-colored uniforms in an exhibition game. Now it's been dumbed-down, just like a lot of other things in baseball.

Part of the beauty of the All-Star Game used to be the different-colored uniforms in an exhibition game. Now it's been dumbed-down, just like a lot of other things in baseball.

You mean, like back in the '40s, '50s and '60s... when one team wore all white, the other wore all gray, and no team worried about concocting 3 or 4 alternate looks to wear every now and again to play a game?

The idea of a uniform is that everyone on the same side looks the same. You know, for ease of identification and whatnot. Since not all teams have alternates, and not all alternates are the same color, it makes perfect sense that everyone on the visiting team wear the same uniform. You want color? Look at their caps. There's your color.

the biggest problem is that players might look too much like players on the opposing team. for example what if the mets and white sox both wore black alts? or if the red sox and braves both wore red?

This happens in real games. Forget about the games where the Brewers were their Navy alts and the Mets wore their Black jerseys? There needs to be a genreal rule about wearing alts and home team should have choice.

Also, they should do something about managers who refuse to wear their jerseys. What is the problem these guys have? Especially Showalter who is such a stickler for players wearing their uniforms appropriately! He should practice what he preaches.

In the Frontier League all-star game the other night, one team wore the home whites, and every member of the road team wore gray pants and their colored BP jerseys. It works as long as every member of the team does it.

Archived