Who makes the best baseball cap?

nateoxford

I just got my first Twin Enterprise cap and man is it comforatable. But as mentioned before it was pricey ($30).

First off, I have a hard time paying $30 for any cap, let alone my self-professed best cap, a 59fifty - so I'd have an even harder time paying that for a Twins Enterprises Franchise cap... You're doing something wrong there, as they're only $25 ($20 if you join the club) and are frequently part of the "2 for $30" promotion...

Moose

It was an impulse buy at the Ducks new logo unveiling. I did resist the $60 sweater, $18 coffee mug, and $30 wallclock, but it was just one of those things where I had to have something. I would have rather had this one instead, but they do not stock these at the team store.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i personally prefer the 5950. i like the way it comes even with my ear line. everything thing else just feels too small.

the zeyphr zfits arent bad.

i stay away from Top of the World, because they dont usually offer l/xl and the m/l's are too tight.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

MLB Ace Caps

Has anybody tried on or purchased these caps, they're New Era caps, but they're stretch fit

I own one of the red Twins MLB ace hats as well in M/L, and it looks great and fits great--even better then my 3930 BP hat. Go to Lids at the mall and try a few on. I own two Nike Swoosh flex hats like THIS (one in U of M, one in BYU) and they fit great and look great as well. I also DON'T like Zephyr's ZHS and TOW's One-fit hats because they look wierd and they fit tight.

For reference my hat sizes are as follows: New Era 7 1/2, Zephyr 7 3/8.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I just got my first Twin Enterprise cap and man is it comforatable. But as mentioned before it was pricey ($30).

First off, I have a hard time paying $30 for any cap, let alone my self-professed best cap, a 59fifty - so I'd have an even harder time paying that for a Twins Enterprises Franchise cap... You're doing something wrong there, as they're only $25 ($20 if you join the club) and are frequently part of the "2 for $30" promotion...

Moose

It was an impulse buy at the Ducks new logo unveiling. I did resist the $60 sweater, $18 coffee mug, and $30 wallclock, but it was just one of those things where I had to have something. I would have rather had this one instead, but they do not stock these at the team store.

Ahh, I see... I'd have a hard time passing that up too. If my team unveiled a new logo, or won a championship, etc., and caps were $30, I think I'd pay it just to be the first to have one...

Moose

Sure I'll ramble about hats for a while...

I own a dozen New Era 5950's, one Cooperstown Ballcap, one Ebbets Field Flannels, and one current American Needle. One quality issue I've seen from every maker is that the 6 panels rarely line up and don't come to an exact point at the button.

My EFF is a recent one, and it gets my vote - nice materials, as solidly made as any. It is an early fifties style, low profile - not for everyone. It is what CBC should be. I don't know if you can get any MLB teams though.

I like the 5950's ( I own a dozen), but these are just like buying any other mass produced item - There are some very nice ones, and some duds, and you can't rely on a dealer to sort through the crap. Since the crowns are so gigantic, I wet the crown only, not bill or sweatband, and mold it and wear it wet for several hours to get a lower profile. I've only effed up one this way - the Expos throwback where the logo is a patch - the front two panels got all wrinkly when they shrunk around the patch.

Every 5950 I own has these issues, from hats made 10 years ago to today!

They are always sewn together crooked. The centerseam in front is always skewed to the right side of your head, and the bills are always sewn on a degree or two off-center to the left side. They all seem to look a bit twisted.

The CBC I have I got as a $22 special - it is a 30's style and it seems like the 6 panels are different sizes making the crown sit funny and bunch up in places. The logo is sewn on not off center but kind of rotated a few degrees from zero. For $44 list price, the thing should be a flipping work of art. If I ever order a custom, I would get the cotton sweatband because their leather sticks to my head.

Current American Needles are garbage to me. For 24.99, they are imported, and cheaply made of low quality material. They are not 100% wool with a very canvas-y feel, the bills are narrow like BP caps, and 3D raised embroidered logos on Cooperstown hats just looks stupid.

For those who don't know, CBC will adjust your cap free of charge up to three times.

Once I got my first one just right (I worried the hell out of them), I took exact measurements of it in all areas and now I order with those measurements and they all fit perfectly.

I have 4 and none of them have anything wrong with the logo. I wear them in the Summer and I can't tell that they are hotter than any other hat.

I'll also agree, the Franchise cap from Twins is the greatest fitting mass produced hat.

201222154_0f633bbfdb_o.png

For those who don't know, CBC will adjust your cap free of charge up to three times.

Once I got my first one just right (I worried the hell out of them), I took exact measurements of it in all areas and now I order with those measurements and they all fit perfectly.

I have 4 and none of them have anything wrong with the logo. I wear them in the Summer and I can't tell that they are hotter than any other hat.

I'll also agree, the Franchise cap from Twins is the greatest fitting mass produced hat.

What measurements do you provide them with?

Moose

MLB Ace Caps

Has anybody tried on or purchased these caps, they're New Era caps, but they're stretch fit

As a general rule, I hate stretch-fit caps. I've got, probibly five, and I hate them all. Every time, I love the style, and think, okay, this one will be different, and it isn't. To that end, I hate the prolifiration of stretch-fit in the cap industry...

I mean, I understand why they have become so popular - you can manufacture one cap, and it "fits" everyone. Problem is, it doesn't. I've got a somewhat larger size head - 7 3/4. I also suffer from migranes. Put an elastic band around my head, and after about five minutes, and I've got a migrane. Not a good thing... If, by some chance, I can find a stretch-fit that's bigger (my 39thirty), it's floppy... Or my Tiger Woods cap where the elastic is bunching up... I'd much rather have a cap in 7 3/4 thank you very much...

Moose

I feel ya, brother. I hate the current BP caps (they feel too small, and the fact that ours is navy pisses me off to no end). The only one I've ever bought, I still own because it's the hat my high school was selling for a couple years (I have no idea if they're still selling it). when my hair's short, I can actually wear it for a short time, but as a whole I'd rather go back to wearing adjustables than wear a stretch-fit.

the 3930s profile's too low for me and doesn't feel like a hat, the Franchises crush my skull and don't stretch as far as I know, and I can never seem to find a Zephyr stretch that fits, which is a shame cus most of those hats look cool.

now fitteds, I love. oddly enough, I've come across sizing anomalies a couple times...a New Era Nets cap I got on sale was too small (I ended up cutting it up as an experiment), and a Reebok Bucks hat I got last year is actually too big, though I still wear it anyway. now I know how it feels to be one of those morons with 7 1/4 heads who snap up hats meant for big heads like mine :hockeysmiley:

as you said, these stretch fits fit "everyone" but don't :wacko:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

American Needle is the only company that makes ones that will fit me properly.

Part of the problem is my hat size---which is not even the largest on these boards--too many caps will not fit for that reason.

Another problem is the cap shape--most companies either make them too shallow--which will not stay on my head, or they make them trucker cap style which I find uncomfortable as they fell like they'll collapse (that is if they fit around my head.)

I have had no problems with American Needle's CFL caps--they look good, feel good, and most importantly--they fit.

(Then again I don't wear them a lot--games--sports events--out campig, that sort of thing.--and sometimes I wear a very old cap--that will dirty, and not in the best of shape--is still comfortable and fits well--I forget who made it--the tag has faded over the years.)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

What measurements do you provide them with?

Moose

panel height from bottom of cap to top button, bill length, and circumference of cap at the band.

Ahh, I see... I'd have a hard time passing that up too. If my team unveiled a new logo, or won a championship, etc., and caps were $30, I think I'd pay it just to be the first to have one...

Moose

Yeah. One thing I miss about Disney was that they had enough experience running theme parks and Disney stores that they knew how to do merchandise. The Angels' team store used to have a nice collection of throwbacks and even carried the bigger sizes that my big head needs (Lids often didn't even have sizes this big). Now all they carry are the regular and BP caps, with an occasional pink adjustable or something thrown in. I have no idea how the new Ducks' management came up with the prices for the new merchandise. A couple of items cost half what they used to cost (I'm not going to mention which ones in case they see this and raise the price :P ), but other items are way over priced. The mugs used to cost less than $10 and are now $18.

OK, sorry for the tangent. Back to caps.

(Lids often didn't even have sizes this big)

I was once told in the Lids store that they don't carry caps in their stores above 7 1/2. If you want one above 7 1/2, you have to order it from their website. Yuck! I don't know that this is ALWAYS the case, and maybe from time to time a larger one sneaks in their stock, but as a general rule I was told 7 1/2 is the largest they carry in the stores. Which is complete and total BS. Just look how many people in this thread alone have mentioned having heads larger than that.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Sorry for staying on the subject of CBC caps, but it seems to me that they are good at old-style caps, which is what I want. (Ebbets, unfortunately, do not carry Red Sox caps).

A question for CBC owners:

I found a couple photos of a Yankees CBC cap on eBay. Is it a pretty accurate example of a CBC piece of work?

yf.jpg

yi.jpg

Thanks!

Yep, that's a good example.

Here's some advice:

Ask the seller to measure the cap from bottom to button along a seam. Anything around 6 1/2 inches is short cut. Anything over and you'll have a bucket of cap above your head.

If its around that length and your size, I'd buy it.

Never order/get a cap from them without getting it cut short.

If you get the full cut, it'll have three inches of cap above the top of your head unless your ears are 12 inches from the top of your head.

I was once told in the Lids store that they don't carry caps in their stores above 7 1/2. If you want one above 7 1/2, you have to order it from their website. Yuck! I don't know that this is ALWAYS the case, and maybe from time to time a larger one sneaks in their stock, but as a general rule I was told 7 1/2 is the largest they carry in the stores. Which is complete and total BS. Just look how many people in this thread alone have mentioned having heads larger than that.

i dont know why you would be told that. we go all the way up to an 8 in the fashion hats and usually 7 5/8 in authentics. well in the one i work in anyways.

now if you talking strecth. you have to find the L/XL which usually only comes in the Zfits

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

I know the Hatworld here carries eights (as well as 7 5/8 and 7 3/4, though I've yet to see a 7 7/8, strangely), and that's usually where I get mine (heh, I got one of those membership cards back in 2000 thanks to a friend working there at the time). the Champs, Foot Locker and Finish Line here usually have eights as well, it's just a matter of me snoozin and losin when a real cool one comes along. a key example: a Brewers hat I affectionately call the "hunter's hat." the M and the four back panels are camouflage, while the front panels and the bill are dayglo orange. I kid you not. heh, only in Wisconsin :D

the ironic thing is most Brewers hats with the current M logo spend their time collecting dust compared to MB glove hats, but these sold like hotcakes :blink:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

In my experience, Lids has most local teams, Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers authentics in a wide variety of sizes. The throwbacks and fashion caps are more limited in size although you can find an occasional larger size. Caps for out of market teams, less popular teams (for example the Clippers here in Southern California), and pretty much any hockey team come in very few sizes.

Archived