Detroit Stars vs. KC Monarchs

NDwas

IMO those both look really good in action. im not a fan of everyone going retro all the time, but in baseball its nice to see. i think one team needs to go back to old jerseys just so MLB teams are a little different looking. my vote is detroit, those unis look really nice.

I like the look of both of those jerseys. I think the Detroit jerseys are probably my favourite though. I think the MLB should have a retro day, when all the teams play in their retro jerseys

These aren't retro MLB jerseys. The Detroit Stars and Kansas City Monarchs were Negro League teams, from the days when blacks weren't allowed in Major League Baseball.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

These aren't retro MLB jerseys.  The Detroit Stars and Kansas City Monarchs were Negro League teams, from the days when blacks weren't allowed in Major League Baseball.

I'll call you on this one. The Negro Leagues are considered Major League in the same way the Federal League was in the 19-teens, so those unis are Major League uniforms.

fade.gif

These aren't retro MLB jerseys.  The Detroit Stars and Kansas City Monarchs were Negro League teams, from the days when blacks weren't allowed in Major League Baseball.

I'll call you on this one. The Negro Leagues are considered Major League in the same way the Federal League was in the 19-teens, so those unis are Major League uniforms.

i'm going with Greg here, if you ever listen to an interview of a former Negro League player or legend they will tell you that Negro Leagues and Major Leagues were two different leagues, the only reason why these are considered Negro League Retros are because once a year these 2 teams honor the Negro Leagues in some kind of way. These are Major League inspired Negro League uniforms, the Negro League uniforms are exactly that Negro League uniforms. 2 different leagues 2 different styles.

I know it is all semantics, but "major leagues" as a term was not trademarked as Major League Baseball until sometimes in the 1970s. Thus my point that the Federal League, for a time the American Association and the Negro Leagues are all historically considered "major leagues" along with the American League and the National League. "MLB" and Major Leagues are not terms that can be substituted for each other in this manor.

fade.gif

I know it is all semantics, but "major leagues" as a term was not trademarked as Major League Baseball until sometimes in the 1970s. Thus my point that the Federal League, for a time the American Association and the Negro Leagues are all historically considered "major leagues" along with the American League and the National League. "MLB" and Major Leagues are not terms that can be substituted for each other in this manor.

I get you now, sorry for the confusion :P

The Tigers' batting helmets work with the Stars unis IMO.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived