Mls signs 14-year old kid

Mac the Knife

I watched PTI last night and they talked about how high schoolers and underdeveloped college kids are destroying the game.

But is that their fault or the fault of the NBA for not being like baseball and developing a farm system so these kids can get the skills they need? Using college as a proxy is crap to me.

This is the same country where people can drop out of college, make lots of money in business and no one argues "well, gee, they should be at home with their families."

The same goes for actors and actresses who are young. People never begrudge the parents of these kids who are obviously being thrust into acting at a very young age, many who have issues later on.

Its not like this kid was living a "normal" life and its not about a falsified birth certificate or whatever. What incentive would he have to lie? He's not trying to play youth league soccer, but pro soccer. He was at a soccer academy in Florida, living with other athletes.

I can understand the idea of disagreeing with parents who do this, but I don't think its a sign of the decline of our society. I think Adu is an anomaly.

On the mental maturity issue, to argue that age is all someone needs to be mature...well, it would be great if that were the case. Too bad its just not true for part and parcel of our society.

Sports are about as "sacred" as cows in the Midwest. They're games. Big businesses and to have restrictive rules when these double standards don't affect other kinds of kids in other fields, is unwarranted.

Besdies, MLS is about AA-level anyway. Its not "really" a major league, he's just developing to go overseas when he gets older. Watch the kid on tv, he's got poise and is really mature for his age. He'll grow a lot and it's obvious his mother raised him right and will continue to keep reign on him.

That's why the league engineered the deal to keep him in D.C., rather than putting him on a team outside his region.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Sports does NOT influence immigration agencies. Why whould they care, especially about SOCCER?! A sport Americans usually don't care about? That statement was totally ludicrous.

When lots of money is involved in sports anything can happen, just look at the NCAA.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

If a kid has the physical and mental talents to perform at a major league level (and you truly do need both to be a complete package), then he or she should not be prohibited from making a living while he or she possesses those abilities.  HOWEVER, I do believe that it is the responsibility of the kid's parents to ensure that some of the riches foisted upon the kid are put toward hiring an ethical and responsible management team that can manage finances and also supervise the kid's welfare on the road - not necessarily a babysitter, but certainly someone whose sole obligation is looking out after the kid's best interests.  And more than one party should be involved so as to serve as a check and balance system.  I believe Magic Johnson has a business that does just this.  He started it up shortly after he had to help Kareem out of his financial troubles.

Sports does NOT influence immigration agencies. Why whould they care, especially about SOCCER?! A sport Americans usually don't care about? That statement was totally ludicrous.

When lots of money is involved in sports anything can happen, just look at the NCAA.

Yeah, but the NCAA IS NOT A GOVERNMENT AGENCY.  THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE HAS NO CONNECTION TO SPORTS WHATSOEVER! THEY DIDN'T KNOW OF HIS GREAT SKILLS YET!How obtuse can you be?

Archived