Bloomington Prairie Thunder

sbirgells

How could I miss this! :D Nice to see another member from Bloomington.

This logo is very disapointing. It's way too crowded with the ice, buffalo, puck, and wordmark. The name was cheesy enough to begin with. I was hoping to see something with thunder/lightning associated with it with possibly an antique locomotive, as they had said earlier that the Prairie Thunder is an old train sitting in the County History Museum. Now the logo incorporates a charging buffalo with a little bit of lightning bolts seen in the "P" and "T" of the wordmark. Now is the team supposed to represent thunderstorms or locomotives or buffalo or maybe all three? I do think however, that the colors were a good choice. I will still refuse to call this team the "Prairie Thunder" and will opt for the less embarasing "Thunder." Look for an affiliation with the Sabres coming soon.

the hooves look completely disconnected from the rest of the buffalo. Also, to me it appears like the buffalo head and shoulders are coming up from behind the ice...while the hooves are in front of it.

I concur that there is just WAY too many elements to this logo.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Absolutely. Wretched.

I gotta tell ya, I've about had all I can take the last three weeks or so with craptacular Buffalo logos.

I'm not the best logo guy in the world, or probably even my town. But good GOD. Is it so difficult to at least draw something that looks like what you are trying to draw?

I've never seen a single buff logo that comes close to my never-used Stampede concept. And I know it isn't finished/perfect and it's not cool to shamelessly praise your own work...but come on.

Attn Teams. This is for sale. Flawed and incomplete but SO much better than all this beauty and the beast/goat/moose looking nonsense.

seventeen.jpg

Sorry. I feel better now.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I never knew that central Illinois is where the buffalo roam. Hmm.

And is "PrairieThunder" now one word? Looks that way from the logo - which by the way, is a convoluted mess. Waaaay too many elements.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Absolutely. Wretched.

I gotta tell ya, I've about had all I can take the last three weeks or so with craptacular Buffalo logos.

I'm not the best logo guy in the world, or probably even my town. But good GOD. Is it so difficult to at least draw something that looks like what you are trying to draw?

I've never seen a single buff logo that comes close to my never-used Stampede concept. And I know it isn't finished/perfect and it's not cool to shamelessly praise your own work...but come on.

Attn Teams. This is for sale. Flawed and incomplete but SO much better than all this beauty and the beast/goat/moose looking nonsense.

seventeen.jpg

Sorry. I feel better now.

Sterling,

you got that right...yours is great.....this is crap.....and I would like to string up the artist that did it.....hope he/she is reading this

.....this is the scoop on the concept......I had done some work with the UHL and I was told they needed a idea for the prairie thunder....sent my Buffalo Stampede idea to the league contacts and then the team...( i too wanted to find a home on the range for my buffalo:)...never heard back in some time.......guess what, poof, a Praire Thunder buffalo logo in the same color scheme as mine....what a coincidence......

I am with you brother in your dismay

Sterling, you are better than most of the people out there--and that Buffalo Stampede idea/logo is an excellent one--I loved seeing it develop in that thread way back when--a team should buy that from you, and let you tweak/cleanup/whatever it if you want to.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I don't know about this Prairie Thunder logo. It does seem pretty big and I don't know how that will translate favorably onto a jersey.

Sterling, your logo is good but I would look at two things before trying to offer it to teams. The buffalo on (my) left looks mentally defecient with his tongue hanging like that. I understand the rampaging, slobbering image I think you were trying to convey but he looks kinda goofy, imo. Also, the center and right buffalo appear to be clones. Maybe have "the goof" in the middle, and the clones on the sides?

I don't know about this Prairie Thunder logo. It does seem pretty big and I don't know how that will translate favorably onto a jersey.

Sterling, your logo is good but I would look at two things before trying to offer it to teams. The buffalo on (my) left looks mentally defecient with his tongue hanging like that. I understand the rampaging, slobbering image I think you were trying to convey but he looks kinda goofy, imo. Also, the center and right buffalo appear to be clones. Maybe have "the goof" in the middle, and the clones on the sides?

Thanks Twi,

Again, it's hard to continually re-explain to the newer members (or rather members who don't know me personally) that I don't reference my own work to hold it up as the end all be all...or even to get feedback on it. Be it this, or my Bucks thing that keeps floating around or whatever. I'm showing my own work cause it's my nearest, most familiar frame of reference....and only to THIS topic. If the topic is effective logos with Spitfires I'm going to reference Flynn. If it's Hound dogs it's Bosack. Wolverines or Cicadas and it's Nitro.

This image was only a conceptual thing. All these Buffs ARE clones of one another and I would never put it out as final like that.

I was merely showing that...hey, these LOOK like Buffalo. Shouldn't that be step 1? Individual style aside I think so. Lineweight=uneven. Slobbering tongue=no good. Detail and colors= too much of each. I know. But that stuff can be fine tuned. Not being able to physically draw a buffalo cannot be fine tuned. It's sort of an end game thing.

Maybe I should learn and never post anything not ready for prime time...even as an example. Anyways, it ended up looking like this and then the project died.

(And even THIS isn't good enough to launch)

twentyone.jpg

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Sterling, in your artistic, highly self-critical eye, that Buffalo Stampede logo may not be good enough to launch. But compare that concept to the reality of the PrairieThunder, and your thought and execution win over that a hundredfold. Keep doing what you do.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Follow-up with further details...

PrairieThunder

This link has details for the Thunder's secondary logos, although if the site was smart they would actually have PICS of the logos as well, rather than a written explanation of them. I got to see them in the Pantagraph's morning paper, but they don't think about what they put on the website. The jersey crest will be a lone buffalo head from the primary logo, ala "Goathead Sabres." Then there's the stand-alone wordmark and a shoulder patch with the lightning bolt "PT" inside a stylized circle that almost looks like a spedometer.

And to Sterling, your logo is a true representation of a buffalo. The only thing the Thunder got right was the nose and the horns. The Thunder's buffalo shouldn't have human eyes, a human grin, overly-exposed ears, or a punk hairdo. Somebody needs to show them a picture of a real buffalo, like the Stampede, not a crossover of a goat and Beast of Beauty and the Beast.

I really like that second one. (Nice colors too, the brown and blue look good together there.) Those shadowed buffalo on the sides lend themselves perfectly to a secondary mark, imo.

I wasn't aware that this was actually made for a team. I'll have to search through the forums and read the story, because I'd say it's good enough for launch, definitely would have looked good on the Prairie Thunder. (And not just because the UHL has some pretty weak logos.)

Archived