Underused Team Names

southpawstu19

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has any team ever used the name "Silverbacks"? I think it's a cool name, and think of the awesome gorilla images you could use in the logo....

Silverbacks.jpg

MVSB%20Logo.JPG

foundation_logo.jpg

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I would imagine there are two Giants for the same reason  there are two Cardinals...they played in the same city for a period of time.

You're half right. The football Giants did "borrow" the nickname from the baseball team, which was not uncommon in the day. At one time in the NFL there were teams call the Brooklyn Dodgers, Detroit Tigers, New York Yankees, Cincinnati Reds, etc. (those teams have obviously since folded).

But actually the Cardinals were in Chicago before St. Louis and had the moniker before the move. They took it due to the color of their uniform ("cardinal red"). It just so happens they wound up moving to a city with a team already named the Cardinals; but one had nothing to do with the other.

As for Dragons, I personally don't like the name, but I guess you could use it. Usually professional sports teams like to have a somewhat relevence to their city (the Giants weren't named that because of Jack and the Beanstalk, but rather the skyscrapers in New York) and there are no dragons in any professional sports city I'm aware of.

Hmm...interesting...learn something new every day. Thanks.

Also, are the Kansas City Royals named for their shade of blue,as an homage to the Kansas City Monarchs, or something else entirely?

2. Large Canines. the Browns to an extent

PBrownCin.jpg

Arf!

He's relating "Browns" to dogs as in the dog pound and the dog alternate. Or he just may be slandering Paul Brown, though I'm sure you already knew that. However, that does not stop that fact that I choked on my lemonade when I say the caption.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Hmm...interesting...learn something new every day. Thanks.

Also, are the Kansas City Royals named for their shade of blue,as an homage to the Kansas City Monarchs, or something else entirely?

Hmm actually after looking around Sports ECyclopedia, I found this about the Royals:

Named the Royals after the American Royal Livestock Show, which has been held in Kansas City every year since 1899.

I learned something new too!

Sidenote: The Sacramento Kings, who used to be the Kansas City Kings and Rochester/Cincinnati Royals, Changed their name from Royals to Kings when they moved to KC as to not be confused with the baseball team.

I'm surprized more pro teams don't use Eagles. You'd think there'd be one in either the NHL, MLB or NBA. This is America after all.

I'm also a fan of Lumberjacks and Tornadoes. Can you believe Tornadoes isn't used more? Maybe if the NHL ends up in Kansas City they will give that some consideration. Big, powerful and unstoppable. It's a perfect name and could be a great logo if not made too cartoony with a face on it.

There is also a team in Canada called the Salmon Arm Silverbacks, who also have a darn fine logo as well.

SalmonArm.JPG

http://www.sasilverbacks.com/

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I think football team names can be summed up in five categories:

1. Large Felines. Lions, Panthers, Bengals, Jaguars, etc

2. Large Canines. the Browns to an extent

3. Horses and bovids. Broncos, Colts, Chargers, Cowboys, Texans, Buffalo Bills, Rams

4. Birds of Prey - Ravens, Falcons, Seahawks, Eagles, etc

5. Raiding humans - Raiders, Bucs, Vikings, (unfortunately) Pats & Chiefs

In NHL there's additional category (e.g. they don't use horses or bovids at all) which can be summed up as "forces of nature": Flames, Hurricanes, Avalanche, Lightning. I think such names really fit to hockey teams.

In NBA on the other hand, the teams prefer names connected to the area they are situated (but some of them don't fit anymore: Jazz, Lakers, Grizzlies), otherwise they they use the scheme you proposed.

To placate the apparent alum of the Railroad Tycoon's university, I think Commodores/Admirals and other nautical-related team names are under utilized.

Unless you're the AHL, then you find yourself in a unique situation where you have two teams with the same name in your league. ;)

i do realize that there are teams that have names that are regionally comprehensive, but in general i feel that there just should be more names then what are used. im from south florida, and i see only one team in the whole state that has reference to the everglades as a team name and that is being the gators all the way north in gainsville

on another note, what about the name cobras, or crocks, or deamons (i know the xfl used that one)

and in regards to these names, if anyone would like to make mock ups of strange team names and logos, please do so...it would be kinda cool

Miami.png

Hmm...interesting...learn something new every day.  Thanks.

Hmm actually after looking around Sports ECyclopedia, I found this about the Royals:

Named the Royals after the American Royal Livestock Show, which has been held in Kansas City every year since 1899.

Me too.

I always thought that the Royals are from the mythic KC Monarchs.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Hmm...interesting...learn something new every day.  Thanks.

Me too.

I always thought that the Royals are from the mythic KC Monarchs.

Umm.. they weren't mythic, they were a Negro League team from the 20's. ;)

Has any team ever used the name "Silverbacks"? I think it's a cool name, and think of the awesome gorilla images you could use in the logo....

iDonovan had a cool Silverback logo as well.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived