Austin wranglers logo to be unveiled...

nitroseed

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the above. I started out as a broadcast sports journalist. I grew bored with the profession and, on a whim, began performing stand-up comedy. I later branched into improvisational and sketch comedy, then added stage plays and television commercials to my resume. I've also landed the lead in a couple of (as yet) undistributed independent films and featured extra work in some major studio releases. I moved from Boston, Massachusetts to Santa Monica, California a little over six months ago to continue pursuing "the dream".

Brian in Boston

Hmmm...

So, Nitro... are you beginning to think that maybe our "discovery" hit a little too close to home?

Perhaps, the logo posted on Mr. Hollander's site WAS supposed to be the Austin Wranglers' logo? When word got back to Erik and the Arena Football League that a couple of logo "sleuths" had discovered the Wranglers' as yet unrevealed logo, maybe the powers-that-be insisted on a new version of the logo?

This is all just pure speculation on my part, but doesn't it seem awfully odd that a logo which was supposed to be revealed at a rally yesterday morning hasn't managed to make it to the AFL's official website, the Wranglers' official website or the websites of TV stations and newspapers in Austin, TX?  

Stay tuned.

Brian in Boston

Hi everyone!  My name is Haley Lewis... sorry to "eavesdrop" but I was checking out the net for the new logo myself.  Erik Hollander is my uncle, and I wanted to see his new Wranglers team mark.  You can relax... you guys didn't cause any kind of snag.  I just talked to him this morning and he told me that they simply haven't had the chance to update the site yet with the new logo (being the weekend).  The logo unveiling was strictly for local team sponsors and investors, not for internet.  He said it should be up on the site within the next couple of days.

Hope this helps.  Haley.

:o

Oh GOD! The horse just took my prozac!

I like the logo - clean, simple, conveys the team well.

At least it isn't the logo from the newest Intense Football League in Texas, the "Stampede" has a bull that looks like it is constipated. :P

Get that pony a laxative!

The entire Austin AFL program is a disappointment.  Come on, how many variations on blue and silver does the AFL need?  And why recycle the Wranglers name only two years after the OKC franchise used it and then got contracted out of the league?  I find it hard to believe that in a community like Austin, where there just so happens to be one of the nation's largest universities brimming with creative minds, that this is the best effort they could come up with to market Arena Football and represent the area. This looks like a very hasty, slapdash effort with no time or serious thought given to their identity and marketing plan.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

astw.gif

Greetings, all.

Erik Hollander here. It's been helpful reading your posts regarding the Wranglers logo. Sorry to those of you who are disappointed with it. It's gotten mixed reviews, some have given laurels, some have tossed vegetables, which is really to be expected in such a subjective arena as logo design. Well, I guess you can't please everyone all the time. LOL. btw: Nitroseed, I understand the personal frustration you formerly expressed... I checked out your website - AWESOME work!!!

I was very impressed. Keep it up!

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone!

Erik

Erikart.com

Erik, would you care to share (or are you even allowed to share) your experiences in getting the gig and producing the logo?  I'm curious as to what the team asked for and how much input you had into the creative process other than to produce the logo - who came up with the name, the colors, the idea of using a horse's head, etc.  As you can probably tell from my earlier post, I really feel like the team could have come up with a more creative name, color scheme, and choice of mascot.  If these were all your ideas, I'm curious as to whether you gave consideration to any other colors, formats, mascots, etc.  I think many on the board would find your story very interesting.  And it appears you're a very good sport regarding the feedback you're receiving.  I think the quality of your work is very good, it's just that I was hoping for something different.

Truly, guys... NO offense taken. Really. Obviously, I'd prefer the fans be pleased with my work than disappointed, but I don't take these things personally, since fan critiques are never intended as personal attacks. We all have different tastes and preferences/ preconceptions, and I've come to understand through the years that no matter how good or bad a piece is, there will be those who love it, those who hate it, and every degree in between.

I know that when I state my like or dislike for a logo for instance, it is is no way a remark meant to degrade or cut down its creator - in fact, the artist rarely if ever even enters my mind. I just judge it on the basis of the work as compared to my artistic tastes or preconceptions. And that's okay... That's freedom of speech. and it's awesome.

:;): Truly, Erik

I think I like the non-chosen logo better, the Wrangler figure.  Not that the horse logo isn't good, it's a terrific logo, but not so much for a team called the Wranglers.  Broncos, Mustangs, etc, sure.  Wranglers, not so much.

Archived