Buffalo Sabres . The New Blue and Gold Project

js °

I know theres been alot of interest in the designs I put together back in 2003, and I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm humbled by everyones responses and feedback (even those that are negative, and especially those that are constructive).

Also, I've done a bit more work on some new concepts, I know some of them have flown around here, as I've been tooling with the buffalo illustration. Well, I just relaunched my site with some new stuff. I'm still going to be adding a bunch of new features to it .. such as forum sigs, avatars, and a few other things for showing support and rebelling against the slug.

but for now .. i just had enough time to get this thing built, and get it out there. I'd love to get some feedback from you guys.

The New Blue and Gold Project

I am impressed. The top two uniforms look like a slight modernization of their original set. The mustard-gold doesn't do much for me. But the center-bottom uniform looks an awful lot like the style that the AHL Buffalo Bisons wore in their final season of 1969-70. Those Bison jerseys had only two sets of stripes rather than three. And the "B" in your "B-sword" logo looks an awful lot like the "B" used on the Bisons famous "bottle cap" logo. Coincidence or deliberate?

You're probably too young to remember the Red, White and Royal Blue of the old AHL Bisons but I always thought the UCLA-striped bottle cap jerseys were one of hockey's all-time best.

Great job! And that's coming from a Leaf fan of nearly 50 years!

All of the different concepts you posted on the 30-some page Sabres thread have finally culminated into perfection. I'm glad to see you made the buffalo facing left; it just seems more visually balanced that way. And, with this primary I'm finally sold on the thinner sabres, which I didn't like as much before. I also really like the new secondary, which is a nice change of pace from the typical b-sword logo. Good color choices, too. The shades of blue and gold you have now are much more timeless than navy and vegas.

While I would prefer more unique and modern jerseys similar to the current ones, I'd still buy these in a heartbeat. Excellent work.

I am impressed. The top two uniforms look like a slight modernization of their original set. The mustard-gold doesn't do much for me. But the center-bottom uniform looks an awful lot like the style that the AHL Buffalo Bisons wore in their final season of 1969-70. Those Bison jerseys had only two sets of stripes rather than three. And the "B" in your "B-sword" logo looks an awful lot like the "B" used on the Bisons famous "bottle cap" logo. Coincidence or deliberate?

You're probably too young to remember the Red, White and Royal Blue of the old AHL Bisons but I always thought the UCLA-striped bottle cap jerseys were one of hockey's all-time best.

Great job! And that's coming from a Leaf fan of nearly 50 years!

thanks for the compliments, and yes .. the similarities you're seeing with the Bisons are completely deliberate. I wanted to find a way to pay homage to Buffalo hockey across the board, and alluding to the Bisons through subtle pieces such as the 'instant vintage' third jersey, and the secondary B logo seemed like the perfect way to do it.

The intention is that if you don't know or never did know of the Bisons, then it doesnt matter, because you still get a logo and alt jersey that mesh with the whole concept. but if you're 'in on the joke' then it makes it all the better.

Nice work John!

I'll shars these concepts with a few hundred Sabe fans and try to get some opinions for you.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Awesome. Just plain awesome. Perhaps some of the best Sabres concepts I've ever seen!

It'd be great to see them switch to something like this: the logo is an update of a simple yet effective design, and the jerseys just have 'classic look' written all over them. Keep up the good work.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

John - I will issue a virtual guarantee that these concepts ( which are awesome, by the way ) will be posted in forums for the next three to five years.

I know Quinn won't have any of it, but the Sabres should use your rebranding. Heck - I just came up with this idea:

Actually make these up. Contract a custom sports company to do it. I bet, if enough interest was generated, we could get a section of the Arena's worth of people to buy one and wear it to every Sabres game they attend this year.

I'd definitely rock the blue one. Gotta give the nod to Spacek on the back - someone's gotta show some love for the new guy.

Is that font Prenumbra? I like it. What do the numbers on the uni look like? Can't remember the name of the B font off the top of my head, and as someone who has always had trouble finding good scripts, I'm surprised you used that. It's almost too friendly. However, I cannot come up with a better one, so perhaps it's not so constructive I mention it. Regardless, it's no detriment to the overall good package. Best of luck with your quest.

Also, didn't realize you were in Chicago. There's a few of us on the board. I'm out in the NW burbs. AND I work with two RIT grads. They may be a little younger than you. They said they didn't know you when I asked.

first off .. thanks to all again for the kind words .. as always, I appreciate all the feedback. I just threw up a couple new uniform designs, and will be throwing up a couple more soon ... would love to know what you all think.

Is that font Prenumbra? I like it. What do the numbers on the uni look like? Can't remember the name of the B font off the top of my head, and as someone who has always had trouble finding good scripts, I'm surprised you used that. It's almost too friendly. However, I cannot come up with a better one, so perhaps it's not so constructive I mention it. Regardless, it's no detriment to the overall good package. Best of luck with your quest.

Also, didn't realize you were in Chicago. There's a few of us on the board. I'm out in the NW burbs. AND I work with two RIT grads. They may be a little younger than you. They said they didn't know you when I asked.

Yeah, rtrich, that is Prenumbra, and as for the script, I made a custom piece to match along with the original Buffalo Bisons script logo on the bottlecap.

As for Chicago, I'm in the city, have only been here a year, and loving it ridiculously. RIT was only a one year home for me .. didn't really sink my teeth into the academic life there.

Those are incredible, simply incredible.

Although my hockey team is the Ottawa Senators, my football team is the Buffalo Bills and because of that I feel a connection the people of Buffalo and their hockey team, despite being a fan of a division rival. Their two pro teams are steeped in tradition, yet currently both teams' uniforms are pretty bad.

I love how you took something as simple as the classic Buffalo/dual crossed sabres/circle and modernized it without going too far. You stopped on a dime at that difficult line between tradition and futuristic. Bravo!

I would like to make an observation about the B in the alternate logo. After reading this thread I realized that it's a nod to an older Buffalo hockey team, but when I first saw it I noticed that it's strikingly similar to the B in the Montgomery Biscuits minor league baseball team. Most people wouldn't notice that, but some (mostly CCSLC members :hockeysmiley: ) would. Again, just an observation, and because it's a such a minor thing that not a lot of people would notice, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: Just a warning - be careful with the gold jersey. I'm sure you don't want it to end up looking similar to the Predators' mustard yellow jersey, which I happen to like by the way, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

For reference...

biscuits_logos.jpg

http://www.newblueandgold.com/logos/logos_secondary_w.html

stoneraizersig.jpg

I love it. If Buffalo used THOSE as their uniforms, they would have one of the best uniforms in the league. Because, what the Sabres have now, it's just not gonna fly. It looks awkward. There are so many flaws with the new logo they chose.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I don't say this alot.

These are :censored:ing awesome.

The logo is beautifully updated and modernized, the uniforms show a great deal of class while staying slick and easy on the eye. They're sharp, but not sharp enough to look pretentious. This is honestly some of the best work that I've seen in my 16+ months here at the CCSLC. Fantastic work.

Archived