Football Uniforms Past And Present, the site

DJSpeedy

Cowboy Kevin, timmyb and I are already doing this. Kevin's got all of Craig's images, and is creating the missing images from the time Craig stopped through the present, and timmyb's doing an amazing job recreating the historical sets...

I've been swamped (again), but I plan to start putting the pages together soon on the SSUR...

That is great news. I can't wait to see it.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone manage to archive this site (http://www.athlegraphic.com/FFP/) before it went kaput?

Web Archive is no help as they are missing a LOT of pics, and I was hoping that someone has "saved" this site somewhere because I am attempting to create some uni combos in Madden for use in my own custom league based on those of the past, and this site would have been a big help in doing that.

So - can anyone be of any assistance, or am I just out of luck?

Football Uniforms Past & Present

Excellent! Thanks Shizz!

Just what I was needing! :)

sig1.gif

I had saved every image from his site for personal use. Nice to see there's a saved record of the site. It's something I've always wanted to throw together using a more modern template for the uniforms with more in-depth research into the helmets and patches, which I've done a lot of. I just haven't had the time to put it together into a site yet. I also have photos that you really couldn't find just browsing the internet as I have a WireImage account and a friend who has an account with Getty, so I can get photos easily for reference.

PANTONE - If you would like any assistance, I would be more than happy to help as I've done pleanty of research on the topic over many, many years.

ahhh ... thanks for that ... the loss of that site had driven me nuts for a bit.

getting back into it, and really digging through there again ... I really believe that 1962 was the most beautiful year for the nfl. Only exception is the 49ers .. they need to be gold.

all,

and pantone, please forgive me for being sooooo lax in this (as an excuse, my research into sportcasting history and the british weekly top ten music charts have put football uni research on the third burner. shame on me!!! :cry:). i have very little skill in doing these, but i did ms paint of the wheeler template for nfl unis from 1950 thru 1958, 1959 being the first year that craig began his history. i also have done 1948 and 1949 all-american conference unis.

i have narrative descriptions of all unis from 1933 thru 1958, and i should have revisions that should have been made to craig's website thru 1962 (nfl & afl) before it went down.

nick1733, i am curious to see what you have come up with. being a member of sabr has allowed me access to proquest. proquest has given me access to the archives of the new york times, washington post, l.a. times and the chicago tribune. from here there are loads of unique newspaper photos from pro football games well into the 1930's. HOWEVER, proquest has forced sabr to drop their service effective 1/1/07 as proquest is focusing their service exclusively to libraries. living here in the harrisburg area, i have been able to glean lots of photos from microfilm at the pa state library of the pittsburgh and philly papers as well. in fact, just last week i did research the 1942 steelers & the 1943 steagles at the library.

i think the goal here - and in tribute & dedication to craig - should be to revive his site and go back at least as far as 1933 and fix those problem unis. if we can all pitch in, maybe we can have a "de facto" nfl historical uniform committee to do just that, dedicated to a website just as good as "dressed to the nines" and "nhluniforms".

feel free to p.m. me and i appreciate the opportunity to help.

timmy b

all,

and pantone, please forgive me for being sooooo lax in this (as an excuse, my research into sportcasting history and the british weekly top ten music charts have put football uni research on the third burner. shame on me!!! :cry:). i have very little skill in doing these, but i did ms paint of the wheeler template for nfl unis from 1950 thru 1958, 1959 being the first year that craig began his history. i also have done 1948 and 1949 all-american conference unis.

i have narrative descriptions of all unis from 1933 thru 1958, and i should have revisions that should have been made to craig's website thru 1962 (nfl & afl) before it went down. 

nick1733, i am curious to see what you have come up with. being a member of sabr has allowed me access to proquest. proquest has given me access to the archives of the new york times, washington post, l.a. times and the chicago tribune. from here there are loads of unique newspaper photos from pro football games well into the 1930's. HOWEVER, proquest has forced sabr to drop their service effective 1/1/07 as proquest is focusing their service exclusively to libraries. living here in the harrisburg area, i have been able to glean lots of photos from microfilm at the pa state library of the pittsburgh and philly papers as well. in fact, just last week i did research the 1942 steelers & the 1943 steagles at the library.

i think the goal here - and in tribute & dedication to craig - should be to revive his site and go back at least as far as 1933 and fix those problem unis. if we can all pitch in, maybe we can have a "de facto" nfl historical uniform committee to do just that, dedicated to a website just as good as "dressed to the nines" and "nhluniforms".

feel free to p.m. me and i appreciate the opportunity to help.

timmy b

I think you sent me an email a little bit ago, I have problems with that email site through this computer so I don't often have a chance to reply quickly.

I have a WireImage account and they have several historical photos, not for every year unfortunately, but a lot back through the 20's even.

What I would like to do, since I'm now Chris' guy for the NFL Uniforms on his site (since Vic is apparently gone) is go through and make seperate templates for each 'era' of uniform, and not use the same one throughout the whole seires. Saying that I'd like the template to resemble the worn uniforms of each 'era' they're in.

EDIT: Some other things I would like to add are as follows; A. Every patch that any team wore for a certain year. B. Weither the team wore black or white shoes for a certain season. C. All the AFC/NFC Pro Bowl uniforms worn. D. As many prototype uniforms we can find (ala. 1993/94 Jaguars & Panthers).

I have quite a large database on NFL uniforms (AFL & AAFC included) and helmets, more so the helmets and colors than anything else.

I would also love to do the graphics for this site, as that's something I quite enjoy doing and someone else can do the web scripting if needed because I'm not proficient in Java or Flash.

I think showing the helmet twice is unnecessary - this isn't the NCAA where you can have two different helmets with the main uniform set.

What are those things sticking out from the jersey on either side of the numbers? It's white on both jerseys, and comes out from the armpit and goes in toward teh body at the elbow.

It's where I sit.

I think showing the helmet twice is unnecessary - this isn't the NCAA where you can have two different helmets with the main uniform set.

What are those things sticking out from the jersey on either side of the numbers? It's white on both jerseys, and comes out from the armpit and goes in toward teh body at the elbow.

Well, I wouldn't show the helmet twice for one graphic, just once per graphic, this is just a sample and I took each uniform and put them together.

The white thing you see is part of the jersey. It's the white inset the Cardinals have going up the sides of the jersey.

actually, i think it would be good to show the left side and the right side of each helmet (at least since the plastic era (c. late 40's)). we too often see the right side of the helmet, but not the left side. so i'm all for nick 1733 showing two helmets, but from both sides.

and as we go back in time, it would be good to see the two helmets (2001 redskins, 1969 eagles, 57 & 58 packers, 40's & 50's night game/day game helmets) displayed left & right.

btw, well done, nick!!

tb

• 11 months later...
Impressive effort, all.

One thing, I really miss the old simplicity of the 80s-era unis. No mix and matching, just a home and a road. Monochrome? BAH!

I just did a search for "athlegraphic" and found this.

Any news folks about an updated site with uniforms up through 2006?

I'll keep searching meantime, but wanted to begin putting my "feelers" out there.

Thanks, and enjoy the start of the 88th NFL Season kicking off in just under 12 hours!!!

Bill McD.

Archived