AAFL

Shizznick

There's a report in the local paper here in Raleigh that the AAFL is talking with N.C. State officials about Carter-Finley Stadium.

Paraphrasing their quote of Lee Fowler (NCSU's athletic director), the university is thinking it'll bring in a ballpark figure of $2-3 million/year for the school.

If these are the kinds of numbers the AAFL is throwing around at them, TPTB at the AAFL are simply delusional - there's no way they can spend that kind of money on stadium rent and survive.

I hope Fowler and his colleagues aren't wasting too much time talking with these people - because that's what it is, a waste of their time.

nav-logo.png

In theory, I dont like, but in theory it could work....I dont know about the figures theyre throwing out...$100,000 and all that, but its worth a shot I guess. But from a schools standpoint they better be ready for major dissapointment.

Why is it a problem to try? Those stadiums literally sit empty for 6 months of the year. Maybe a week camp here or there, but they are just landmarks for half the time. Try it out...big deal if it doesn't work.

I think it'd be fun to a team made up of Big Ten players take on a team of SEC players.

Why is it a problem to try? Those stadiums literally sit empty for 6 months of the year. Maybe a week camp here or there, but they are just landmarks for half the time. Try it out...big deal if it doesn't work.

I think it'd be fun to a team made up of Big Ten players take on a team of SEC players.

It's not a problem to try - its a problem because the dollar figures are unrealistic for a start-up league.

Most outdoor venues can be had much, much cheaper with some negotiation. To pay $2-3 million a year for say, 7 dates is excessive. Particularly for a start-up venture that's trying to sell teams.

I admire the thought of having a stadium deal in place before selling a franchise, but at these figures it'll hamper their ability to do so - an incoming owner realizing he's going to have to shell out $3 million a year right off the bat for his facility, with no practice facilities as part of the deal (as in NCSU's case) would freak at the cost.

nav-logo.png

report in today's greenville news says that Clemson officials are reluctant to lease the stadium to the league. the league sounds like a pretty good idea, i just don't know how apathetic area fans are toward this kind of thing. well, i do know, and it doesn't bode well for the league if they try to put a franchise in upstate SC.

Does anybody know if the team names will be the same as the college they play at (ie. Purdue Boilermakers, Tennessee Volunteers) or will the be location based (ie. Indiana ________, Knoxville ________).

Does this league have an official site yet?

Does anybody know if the team names will be the same as the college they play at (ie. Purdue Boilermakers, Tennessee Volunteers) or will the be location based (ie. Indiana ________, Knoxville ________).

It looks as though university involvement ends with the leasing of stadium facilities to the AAFL teams and the collection of parking and concession revenues.

(As The Mad Mac queried, how the hell does this league expect to make money? It appears to be poised to pay exorbitant fees for stadium leases AND hand parking/concession revenues to the universities. Ludicrous!)

That said, I wouldn't expect the host universities to allow AAFL franchises to use the schools' trademarked team nicknames and logos, or the schools' names. It would have the potential of weakening the uniqueness of the colleges' brands.

At most, I see the various AAFL teams borrowing colors from the universities where they play there games. Additionally, they may try to develop team names that indirectly reference an aspect of the university athletic brand at the school where they play.

As for place-names, I can't imagine the Ross-Ade Stadium-based team going by either "Purdue" or "West Lafayette". I'd bet that they market the team regionally with "Indiana" as the place-name. A Neyland Stadium-based team could theoretically go with either "Knoxville" or "Tennessee" as a place-name, as the university can't trademark a state name.

Purdue has signed on as the first franchise. Seven potential spots remain

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...80367/-1/sports

Yes! I'll become the biggest fan of this team if the league goes through. And to repeat Brian, they'll most likely just use the black and old gold. Or it could be an opprotunity to bring back the RailRaiders name again. :P I'd expect some kind of rail road theme.

I'd expect any other Big Ten markets to be Ann Arbor, Columbus, Madison, or maybe Evanston. For SEC markets, Gainesville, Baton Rouge, and either Tuscaloosa or Auburn. For ACC markets, Atlanta, Raleigh, Tallahasee, or either South Carolina market.

Archived