Buffalo Sabres to unveil jerseys today

js °

20060727_sabres.jpg

They stole the idea from the Brewers. Old beloved uniform, old beloved color scheme as alternate.

Still a good move. For both clubs.

There's a vote on the site:

POLL RESULTS

Do you like having the original uniform as the third jersey?

Yes  82% (529)

No  14% (88)

I don't know  4% (26)

Votes: 643

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmmm.  Perhaps I'm doing a bit too much thinking here and anyone more familiar with the NHL's rules and reg's about sweaters feel free to swat back at me, but here's what I surmise we might see.

2006-06 - Sabres wear original uniforms as alts for 15 home dates.  Sabres elect a'la Anaheim to use the alts as the lone home playoff sweater.

2007-08 - Buoyed by the overwhelming support of the fans for the original uniform design, the Sabres adopt the original "alt" design as their principal home sweater, discontinue the use of the dark blue buffaslug sweater and introduce a white alt sweater which replicates the design of the team's original white sweaters but utilizes the color palette introduced in 2006.

2008-09 - The Sabres discontinue use of the white buffaslug road jerseys, adopting the 2007-08 white alt's as their principal road sweaters.  The home blues are tweaked so as to represent the darker contemporary color scheme.

If I'm not mistaken, alt's can be (a) switched into a primary role at any time, and (B) can be changed from year to year.  Again, if I'm wrong, this theory doesn't work, but if I'm right, it enables the team to get out from this apparent marketing mistake within a reasonable time.

I believe that this was part of their original plan ... leave themselves with that option .. and my best guess is that this is what will certainly happen.

Also ... just to note, BuffaloSteve posted this image that I think some people have seen .. an interesting thing to note about that logo, is that the slug is not the same as the one we have seen exactly, the left side of the slug is extend and more straight, the standalone logo shown is ended shorter, and curved a bit more.

I agree with the fact that it does look better in this context, but if thats the case, as I said before, its a weak logo that needs to be displayed in only this way to look good.

Anyone know where I can find a larger version of this? This makes the logo look a little bit better.

Wait...is that the wordmark?

That does NOTHING for the slug. It's still terrible.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

POLL RESULTS

Do you like having the original uniform as the third jersey?

Yes  82% (529)

No  14% (88)

I don't know  4% (26)

Votes: 643

88 people said no? I really hope that by "no" they were saying they'd rather have them as the full time instead of the alternate.

I don't know if that is the wordmark or not, but the person on the board where I found it, claims it is. If it is, I do like that font better than what we have now. I also did notice that the slug looks slightly different in this picture. Just wish I could see a larger version. I agree that if a logo needs wordmarks to be complete, then it's not a good logo.

Is it alright that I don't think the old logo and uniform was anything special (in terms of design)?

I love a royal and yellow color scheme. And the concept of the logo is cool. But the logo needs the modernizations that have been proposed around here and the uniform while solid and not gaudy lacks a touch of greatness in my opinion.

Anything looks better next to that slug, but I wish they could have just done things right. Instead, they introduced a bad logo. I'm sure they'll recover to a decent look. I just wish we could have seen great instead of decent.

Interesting wording of the question. They ask if you are happy with the vintage jersey being the third jersey. A "Yes" vote, in management's eyes, could be construed as "82% of people want the vintage as the third jersey. They did not say they want it as their main uniform." A "No" vote? "Fans do not like the vintage look and we should go headling into the new Buffaslug look."

Kinda like a yes/no question - have you stopped killing little kittens?

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

The slug still still belongs on the side of a NCAA DIII football helmet. It's karma for all those 'no goal' whiners. I, for one, am for Sabres looking like a bunch of pukes. At least now they'll match their fans.

At least we have fans, you couldn't even sell out game one...Pathetic.

slugbat.jpg

Interesting wording of the question. They ask if you are happy with the vintage jersey being the third jersey. A "Yes" vote, in management's eyes, could be construed as "82% of people want the vintage as the third jersey. They did not say they want it as their main uniform." A "No" vote? "Fans do not like the vintage look and we should go headling into the new Buffaslug look."

I don't think it really matters.

Since they will be wearing the throwback jerseys, they will be selling them. The marketplace will decide, as fans vote with their dollars.

Just like with the Brewers alts. I'm convinced that's what management has in mind - they can dip their toe in the water but not commit to jumping in until they know for sure that the waters are warm.

Love how the Sabres are backpeddling. They had to make a special announcement to control the damage.

The slug is an abomination. The fans aren't going to like it no matter how "cool" the new jersey is. It's made by Reebok anyways so you know it's gonna suck.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Purely speculation:

Larry Quinn has said several times that the leaked logo is 'incomplete' and said on the Shredd & Ragan show that the front of the Sabres jersey "will feature something that no other NHL jersey features." Does this mean that this

will be the new crest? It would be kind of unique and would be better than just the slug, imo.

Purely speculation:

Larry Quinn has said several times that the leaked logo is 'incomplete' and said on the Shredd & Ragan show that the front of the Sabres jersey "will feature something that no other NHL jersey features."  Does this mean that this

will be the new crest?  It would be kind of unique and would be better than just the slug, imo.

I agree with jsº and others who have stated that from a branding or iconic logo aspect you should not need the logotype or uniform to complete the overall look or as the Sabres stated "put it in context". That is complete bull$hit!!! And should be dealt with as such. Drop the Slug and

head back to the drawing board. There's talent here on the board, or hire Radom or Verlander for crying out loud.

If they need to spell out b-u-f-f-a-l-o s-a-b-r-e-s for me on the front of the jersey then they are

truly bush league and their bottom of the well payroll mentality shows in everything they do.

Archived