Buffalo Sabres to unveil jerseys today

js °

While I am glad to see the old look for the 15 games, most merchandise will have the main new logo on it, and the new logo will be what's under the center ice at HSBC.

How do you know that the now-official Buffaslug will be under center ice?

I believe that the ice is at the team's discrection, and the way they've done damage control with the 3rd jersey makes it both desirable and plausible that the old logo will be at center ice. It is, after all, a circle.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any NHL teams have anything under the center ice other than their main logo? I'd be happy not to see the slug there, and your point is good regarding the backlash, that perhaps it wouldn't be if the NHL doesn't have rules regarding what must go there. However, to put a secondary or alternate logo there, would suggest to me then that the main one isn't good enough.

Do any NHL teams have anything under the center ice other than their main logo? I'd be happy not to see the slug there, and your point is good regarding the backlash, that perhaps it wouldn't be if the NHL doesn't have rules regarding what must go there. However, to put a secondary or alternate logo there, would suggest to me then that the main one isn't good enough.

Some teams have put their anniversary logos as the center ice one.

1zgyd8w.jpg

The Coyotes used to have a version of their secondary logo at center ice. It was the same moon logo as the one on the shoulders of the old black, red, and green jerseys, except the words were removed from it. I don't think that they use it at center ice any longer now that they changed logos, re-colorized the moon logo and demoted it to their pants.

nationalanthem.jpg

pregame.jpg

Sorry I could not find any pictures better than those, but I think it can be seen well enough in these.

GD Buffaslug, the Buffaslug needs salt poured on it.

Off topic: I really liked the original Coyotes jersey too, looked really damn cool, albiet a little goofy. The new one they have is an improvement though, solid colors that don't induce seizures are always positive.

Now that I have looked at it dozens of times, I really don't care for the so-called "buffaslug". I think they should use their original blue and gold uniforms as a primary home jersey rather than an alternate.

But then again, maybe since this new logo is such a dud, vendors will make merchandise with the old logo since that stuff will sell.

First off all...I will ask how can the new logo be a dud already? Yea..people don't like it, but there hasn't been merchandise yet to sell to make it a dud or not.

But anywayz, my reason of writing this is because I think it would be foolish for the organization to change their logo again after a few years. Yes I understand that many people don't like it (despite the fact the original will be an alternate jersey), but changing the logo again another time would make the organization seem like a :censored:in joke. Look at the Canucks...they don't even have an identity anymore, its bad enough the Sabres have changed logos twice in the the past 10 years. I'd say if you decide to change the logo...stick with it.

Saying all that...I think the jersey will look nice in the end, although I am quite skeptical. Quinn said that something is missing from the logo we have seen on the internet, so basically I am taking that into account. Stick with a logo basically....but I think that going back to the original in a few years has been made more possible because of the fact that alternate now. Personally, I hope they don't change logos again...i'm tired of buying new jerseys lol

But then again, maybe since this new logo is such a dud, vendors will make merchandise with the old logo since that stuff will sell.

First off all...I will ask how can the new logo be a dud already? Yea..people don't like it, but there hasn't been merchandise yet to sell to make it a dud or not.

But anywayz, my reason of writing this is because I think it would be foolish for the organization to change their logo again after a few years. Yes I understand that many people don't like it (despite the fact the original will be an alternate jersey), but changing the logo again another time would make the organization seem like a :censored:in joke. Look at the Canucks...they don't even have an identity anymore, its bad enough the Sabres have changed logos twice in the the past 10 years. I'd say if you decide to change the logo...stick with it.

Saying all that...I think the jersey will look nice in the end, although I am quite skeptical. Quinn said that something is missing from the logo we have seen on the internet, so basically I am taking that into account. Stick with a logo basically....but I think that going back to the original in a few years has been made more possible because of the fact that alternate now. Personally, I hope they don't change logos again...i'm tired of buying new jerseys lol

Islanders in the mid 90s anyone?

They were the Gordons Fishermen for a year or two before fan outcrys made them go back.

They came out of it just fine minus the GM situation.

my only problem with the slugs is that its not a "timeless" logo

you wont see this logo being used in 50 years, like cetian teams do.

perfect example of what we should have done is what blues did a couple years ago, im not saying i like the blues logo, but they had an original idea, then tweaked it a few times. everyone is happy.

sabres1-med.gifbills2-med.gifyankees3-med.gifohiost-med.gifusa-med.gif

perfect example of what we should have done is what blues did a couple years ago, im not saying i like the blues logo, but they had an original idea, then tweaked it a few times. everyone is happy.

I think that's part of the problem, though. I don't think teams WANT a timeless logo. From what I've been hearing, the numbers really do pan out that when you put out a new logo, your merchandise sales go way up. So, by using logos that are sure to become dated within 10 years (some would argue this one is ALREADY past it's "prime"), a team is giving itself the opportunity for a boost in souvenier revenue when they inevitably have to do a new re-design in 10 years.

Anyway, that's how it appears to me. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I don't think they're being bashful about this being part of the equation.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Larry Quinn has said several times that the leaked logo is 'incomplete' and said on the Shredd & Ragan show that the front of the Sabres jersey "will feature something that no other NHL jersey features."

I'm thinking that the front of the jersey will have the player numbers in a size roughly equal to the sleeve numbers.

Larry Quinn has said several times that the leaked logo is 'incomplete' and said on the Shredd & Ragan show that the front of the Sabres jersey "will feature something that no other NHL jersey features."

I'm thinking that the front of the jersey will have the player numbers in a size roughly equal to the sleeve numbers.

Oooh, now that's an interesting theory.

What if the slugalo is jumping over the player number, which is pierced with a sabre?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

What if the slugalo is jumping over the player number, which is pierced with a sabre?

Well, that would suck.

Indeed.

Pretty much anything with slugalo would suck.

My most solid guess, though, is that slugalo will be some sort of wrap-around, or very large over the shoulder graphic.

indians4.png

-Terry Pluto

This is actually an interesting thought, and one that I'd had before ... thinking that the logo would not be centered, but rather displayed large on the shoulders, with numbers on the front and back ... this is completely off track of anything the NHL branding team would allow though, as thats a complete departure from all things hockey. I am still curious what it is that Quinn was alluding to when he noted that the Sabres jerseys would have something no other team has though.

I think that's part of the problem, though. I don't think teams WANT a timeless logo. From what I've been hearing, the numbers really do pan out that when you put out a new logo, your merchandise sales go way up. So, by using logos that are sure to become dated within 10 years (some would argue this one is ALREADY past it's "prime"), a team is giving itself the opportunity for a boost in souvenier revenue when they inevitably have to do a new re-design in 10 years.

Anyway, that's how it appears to me. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I don't think they're being bashful about this being part of the equation.

Unfortunately SabreGuy, I think you may be right. I think there are alot of teams that see the small term financial value in creating a trendy piece of trash, peddling it out there for the masses, and when that river has run dry .. they then shift to something more classic to regain their lost fans.

I think many teams have looked over the long term value in creating a timeless iconic logo that could represent something far more important than the current team and their current performance. As I've stated before, the reason the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Red Wings, the Maple Leafs and the Canadiens are consistently topping the charts in merchandise sales, is not because their stuff looks the coolest, or because their teams are the best, its because of an unconscience decision made to own a piece of that team, that integrity, that history. If you work towards creating that with your brand, you will be able to sustain yourself far better in the long term (in merchandise sales, brand recognition, and fan loyalty).

Well, that would suck.

Indeed.

Pretty much anything with slugalo would suck.

My most solid guess, though, is that slugalo will be some sort of wrap-around, or very large over the shoulder graphic.

I'm also thinking the sabres/swords will be some ghastly sublimated design that the

Slug is then leaping over and through. Ugh, I just threw up in my mouth.

This is actually an interesting thought, and one that I'd had before ... thinking that the logo would not be centered, but rather displayed large on the shoulders, with numbers on the front and back ... this is completely off track of anything the NHL branding team would allow though, as thats a complete departure from all things hockey.  I am still curious what it is that Quinn was alluding to when he noted that the Sabres jerseys would have something no other team has though.

This isn't THAT farfetched. It was done by the Boston Bruins from 1937 until 1948. While we have not seen a jersey like this in over half a century, it could be modernized and brought back. This could be pulled off, considering the Sabres logo doesnt fit the normal look for a crest logo. If anything, I'd believe a cursive text could spell "Buffalo" on the away jersey and "Sabres" on the home. I could see them going the way of Baseball jerseys more than having numbers as the crest.

Bruins7.gif

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Jerseys with numbers on the front would make selling un-lettered replicas nearly impossible. I'd bet that this is not the surprise.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived