UCLA new road football uniforms

Survival79

Nice - about time that got rid of that 'stupid' looking numbers (currly font) - not a bad look - a bit too much black or is it navy blue?

Welcome to a couple years ago, scout ;)

I realize UCLA went back to block numbers because they changed coaches and the coach was a former UCLA player and he wanted the team to wear something similar to what he wore as a player. However, the curly numbers seem to be more distinctive and more unique to UCLA, seeing as people still associate the numbers with UCLA football even years after the numbers were ditched.

Come up with a dark blue alternate incorporating the curly numbers, if you cannot stomach the Bruins using the numbers full time. It's just a shame they are currently not actively being used.

ucl234f-c.jpgucl251f-c.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

These new roads are a long time coming. I'm not bothered by the lack of navy in the shoulder stripes, because they have the same lack on the homes. Thumbs up.

VmWIn6B.png

With the amount of grief thats dumped on the cowboys, im astonished that more folks on this board dont go after UCLA. Lets see: Royal blue, powder blue, black(wtf?) and yellow gold with basketball. Football puts out gold, navy, and powder, with yellow gold paired with the gold at some points. talk about streamlining

The change to block numbers isn't bad; it makes them look a little tougher. But the black number outline has to go, and they should switch the colors--gold numbers with the powder blue outline would look great.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

The change to block numbers isn't bad; it makes them look a little tougher. But the black number outline has to go, and they should switch the colors--gold numbers with the powder blue outline would look great.

They've had the block numbers for a few years, and it's a navy outline, not black.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Tennessee Volunteer fan here. Probably the reason for the navy blue outline on the numbers is for TV and announcer purposes. Back in the 90's, UT had white road unis with plain orange block numbers. Looked good, but the legendary UT football announcer John Ward had fits reading the numbers from the pressbox, and thus the black outlines were added to the road unis. Probably is part of the reasoning behind the navy outlines w/the UCLA numbers as well given the light blue is so hard to see from far away on a white uniform.

Nice - about time that got rid of that 'stupid' looking numbers (currly font) - not a bad look - a bit too much black or is it navy blue?

Welcome to a couple years ago, scout ;)

I realize UCLA went back to block numbers because they changed coaches and the coach was a former UCLA player and he wanted the team to wear something similar to what he wore as a player. However, the curly numbers seem to be more distinctive and more unique to UCLA, seeing as people still associate the numbers with UCLA football even years after the numbers were ditched.

Come up with a dark blue alternate incorporating the curly numbers, if you cannot stomach the Bruins using the numbers full time. It's just a shame they are currently not actively being used.

ucl234f-c.jpgucl251f-c.jpg

Those were my favorite of UCLA's uniforms. The curly numbers are actually the traditional numbers dating back to the 1960s and I like the navy on the away jersey. UCLA had a long history of wearing navy numbers and stripes on the away uniforms until they made this update.

Here are two pictures from the 1960s to illustrate:

UCLA_H.jpgUCLA_A.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

With the amount of grief thats dumped on the cowboys, im astonished that more folks on this board dont go after UCLA. Lets see: Royal blue, powder blue, black(wtf?) and yellow gold with basketball. Football puts out gold, navy, and powder, with yellow gold paired with the gold at some points. talk about streamlining

Apples to oranges.

The grief leveled at the Cowboys has nothing to do with them not having a streamlined color scheme. It's about them having forty different versions of the colors within their very streamlined color scheme....

UCLA's rediculous with their coloring. Two years ago they tried to "streamline" the color scheme (at least with regards to merchandizing) and made "Air Force Blue" the official Bruin blue. With all the variants on powder blue, we needed to use Air Force Blue?! *sigh* But then again UCLA is a den of bureaucratic inequity, which could explain why I'm STILL waiting for my diploma from 2005...

ps. It'd be really nice if the basketball uniforms could get an update (well, it'd be REALLY nice if UCLA had a comprehensive/unified logo/uniform package for the entire athletic department). But I probably shouldn't bring that up, since they'd probably end up dressing everyone in red...

Just to show no hard feelings...HOW'S 'BOUT AN 8-CLAP!?

*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*

U...

C...

LLLLLLLLLLLLL,

A!

U-C-L-A-FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT!

Sorry Discriminator,

I am behind in my uniforms, but hey, I don't follow the PAC10 - I see on their site the numbers, they are better!

Better than these - see below

ucla-f.jpg

Thanks for the Update Discriminator & Minjai

I see that they were the traditional numbers, sorry I did not mean to tread on sacred ground - the newer font is much better IMO.

But hey, I am a traditionalist and what's good for the Bruins is good for the world :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I wish they'd go back to the blue mask and can the gray one now...UCLA confuses me. What are the school colors? It seems like the football and basketball programs wear nothing alike.

KISSwall09.jpg

Slightly off topic, but it is about UCLA football . . .

Didn't UCLA use to have the lettering on their helmet resemble the font style used by the NY Giants and Illinois football during the mid-1980s? I looked at the Helmet Project and noticed that it wasn't represented.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Didn't UCLA use to have the lettering on their helmet resemble the font style used by the NY Giants and Illinois football during the mid-1980s?  I looked at the Helmet Project and noticed that it wasn't represented.

I'm not sure what font you're talking about... you mean the one that looks like this: GIANTS and ILLINOIS? As far as I know, UCLA had some form of the "Ucla" script on their helmets through the 80s.

Here's a picture I have of Steve Young in 1983:

steve-young2.jpg

And another picture of Young's "NFL nemesis" Troy Aikman in 1988:

5461422_18_1.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Didn't UCLA use to have the lettering on their helmet resemble the font style used by the NY Giants and Illinois football during the mid-1980s?  I looked at the Helmet Project and noticed that it wasn't represented.

I'm not sure what font you're talking about... you mean the one that looks like this: GIANTS and ILLINOIS? As far as I know, UCLA had some form of the "Ucla" script on their helmets through the 80s.

Yea, that is what I am referring to. I searched all over the web trying to find an example. I must be confusing them with another school. My memory is getting fuzzier and fuzzier. :wacko:

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived