US Airways

tBBP

Okay...so perhaps maybe my most recent concept didn't go over too well on many folks, or just wasn't enough to merit much mention. Oh well...that happens in life.

In addition to Northwest Airlines, here are the other AFL concepts I've unveiled thus far:

American Airlines

United Airlines

SO...let's move on, shall we?

US Airways. Part four of the Airline Football League Concept Project. And it's actually one of my favorites. It was actually made much easier since I had an easier livery to work with. See for yourself--this was US Airways' previous look; this is what they're working with now. Difference? Like night and day.

This concept has all kinds of tie-ins, some planned, some completely inadvertent. First of all, this one, like most is relatively simple. The only design feature that isn't really consistent with the rest of the package is the socks, which is mirrored off the underbelly portion of the new livery (take a quick peek--that little feature can also be found at the tip of the tailfin). Striping is offset throughout (if that's the proper term for the type of striping I used...if it isn't, someone please correct me), which, again, was pulled off the livery. Numerals are those of the Arizona Cardinals, and since this airline is now HQ'd in Tempe, AZ, following the merger with America West (which by the way has its own concept), I thought that's be a good idea. And it was at that time I realized how easily this set could pass, save for the helmet, as a decent uniform for the Arizona Wildcats. (See how some things just fall into place?)

Now for the third outfit. Anyone who knows the history of US Airways knows it's a tricky one. The airline is actually comprised of four different ones: Allegheny Airways (owned by the duPont brothers, which became its own company in 1952, which explains the name/number on the home and aways); Piedmont Airlines; Pacific Southwest Airlines or PSA, which really was the nation's first large discount airline and the precursor to Southwest; and now, America West. I could have used any of those to create an alternate, but I decided to try something new and go "modernized old-school". The basic idea was taken from this era in the airline's history, which was then known as USAir (and is still widely called that in airline circles). This livery debuted in 1979, which is also the same year the airline changed it's name from Allegheny Airlines to USAir, so that explains the use of 79. The red striping in the jersey is via the tailfin from that 1979 "chromejet" livery. I thought it'd be a subtle link to the past uniforms of Allegheny County's own Pittsburgh Steelers (although the 1930's version had thicker stripes with diagonal stripes on the shoulders. I just thought doing an alternate in a "throwback style"--complete with stripeless pants and nameless jersey--would be a good pay to pay homage to the place where this airline was born--in the tradition-rich region of western Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County--and in the city of Pittsburgh.

So with all that said, here it is. C&C...let me have it!

fbunibetatemp.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like these a lot, bucco_B, especially how you tied everything together. I was traveling on US Airways back in November and wondered how the whole US Air era tied into the current company and where all the new colors came from (it had been years since I had been on one). Not to mention, the connecting flight I was on was run by Piedmont Airlines, and I never made the connection between all of the companies until you spelled it out for me here.

The only problem I can see with it is that the flag primary that you use looks a bit clunky and big on the helmet, but that's okay because it's not like you have anything else that can be used. The short red pinstripes on the alternate look sweet as well, and I agree that it's a decent mix of all of the company's previous looks.

All in all, well done!

I like these a lot, bucco_B, especially how you tied everything together. I was traveling on US Airways back in November and wondered how the whole US Air era tied into the current company and where all the new colors came from (it had been years since I had been on one). Not to mention, the connecting flight I was on was run by Piedmont Airlines, and I never made the connection between all of the companies until you spelled it out for me here.

The only problem I can see with it is that the flag primary that you use looks a bit clunky and big on the helmet, but that's okay because it's not like you have anything else that can be used. The short red pinstripes on the alternate look sweet as well, and I agree that it's a decent mix of all of the company's previous looks.

All in all, well done!

Glad I could help you make those connections. I think USAir have have the most comprehensive/complex history of any US airline, in just how it went from this to this and that to that and all of them into one. Corporate restructuring...what a concept.

IF I can get back to my hidden file at school, I may be able to reconstruct my Delta and Continental concepts, or else everyone's favorite airline, Southwest (ha ha!!!), will be shown next. (Prepare your eyeballs for a serious shot of VIBRANT COLOR...)

Any more C&C? Keep it coming!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

:BUMP: double post

i didn't really like the alternate at first, but when i understood that it's more of a throwback, i changed my opinion; it looks really nice. they've all looked nice, actually. if only there was such a league...

458345eaff17a1237.png

458346630fe2186b2.png

good gob! however i think pinstripes should stay on suits and baseball uniforms

If you would have told me you were going to put pinstripes on a football uniform, I would have told you to go market it to arenafootball2. But I'm really suprised... they actually look quite good! I think they are the perfect subtle touch to an alternate jersey, and I like how they start below the shoulder pads. They are a feature that could be easily overdone, but you did a nice job. I think this is my favorite concept in the airline series.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived