Fantasy logo - dragons

-(dp)-

Here is the logo with the changes that UnderDogx suggested. I think the neck looks better thick, it makes him seem more like a beast, IMO. I do like the way the ear looks though. Again, tell me what you guys think, and what should be changed. To the right is the logo with the changes I made before this last one, so you guys can compare them.

dragonlogo7.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is the logo with the changes that UnderDogx suggested. I think the neck looks better thick, it makes him seem more like a beast, IMO. I do like the way the ear looks though. Again, tell me what you guys think, and what should be changed. To the right is the logo with the changes I made before this last one, so you guys can compare them.

dragonlogo7.png

Make the skin under the neck orange, and the horns orange too.

Hi, how are you?

Make the skin under the neck orange, and the horns orange too.

i disagree - orange should be used sparingly in this concept...you've got just the right amount now

and i agree with ltravisjr...i thought about posting that earlier, but thought it might look too cartoony - smoke from the nostrils could give this a clear dragon look/feel

jldesigns404eo.png

I tried the fire, but it made the logo very wide, and probably wouldn't work well on a helmet. I might work on that a little more, though. I did make the neck orange, I'm not sure if that is too much orange or not, but I kept the horn white. Here is the logo, and the first one, so you guys can see how much you've helped. I'm still not sure that it is finished, so tell me what you think.

dragonlogo8.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

I think it needs shadowing in the ear. Since you have it for everything else, I think it would help to complete the vision if you added shadow to the orange parts in the ear.

Also, have you thought about adding ridges on the dragon's back? Like backbones or little spikes that stick out of his neck, around the spine? Would help to make it seem more dinosaur-ish, and more of a dragon.

Like I said before....I'm really digging it...I actually like the last orange one you posted but as the poster above me said, you should do some shading in the ear....but as much as I like it, I don't think it's quite finished....it needs something....something to make it 'pop' whether that be something to make it look meaner, or more dragon like, maybe faster....I'm not quite sure...but you could always look into dragon pictures and play around with a few things....here is a good drawing I've googled and this shows exactly what I mean.....notice the multiple horns, thinner and more reptilian neck, and the ear that goes across the jaw line, the thinner and more evil eyes...as well as the scales (which might look really good if used sparingly in certain spots)....but again, a great concept and you've really showed improvement...I think your extremely close to a finished product but might benefit more from playing around with it a bit... :) just my two cents as always!!

Dragon sketch....it's not mine mind you...just something I googled

CIDesignSig.png

Here is one with shading on the ear. No big change, but it is something. I am not very experienced at designing logos, and have trouble doing shadows. I am not sure if the shading is right. I tried the spikes on the back, but couldn't get it to look right. Tell me what you think.

dragonlogo8-1.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

I like it! The only problem (I must have OCD or something) is that there's an orange space in between the shadow in the eye and the bottom of the eye. The shape doesn't fit. But you can easily fix that. I wouldn't mess around with incorporating fire (maybe just for a secondary logo).

The shadow you've added on the ear is in the wrong spot (making the ear appear convex instead of concave).

You should move it so the darkest corner is the one opposite the one you have currently shaded.

My personal criticism would be this:

? Keep the line weights good and thick. Look at professional sports logos that you like and investigate just HOW thick the outlines actually are.

? Consider drawing another horn/ear to increase the depth. The success of this idea would depend on your ability to convey depth through perspective, but currently the dragon is looking (IMO) too flat.

? In keeping with the whole adding of depth issue, you should increase the width of the shaded areas. Let it encroach on the design a bit more, and consider making it darker. Solid, clean, thick lines are one of the key factors that make a good logo concept look like a professional logo.

? Clean up the bezier curve on the horn's shading. Currently it's got a sharp edge instead of a curve that follows the horn's shape.

? Depending on the sport, I might encourage you to sleeken the whole thing down so it looks a bit more dynamic (and less like it's standing upright).

But nice design, mate. Good sense of proportion and subtlety coming through.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Thanks for your c+c, Kit. I tried to do all of them, but I am not sure I did them just right. Do you think that I should thicken the lines, then? The sport it is for is football. Here is the new one. Tell me what you guys think.

dragonlogo8-2.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

Oh wow, the addition of the second horn/ear makes this logo MUCH BETTER! Just a couple minor suggestions:

-Maybe it's just my monitor but the orange you have right now seems to have too much pink in it, making it look salmon-colored. I'd go for a purer orange.

-The teeth could also use some work, as right now it basically looks like white space with a zig-zagged line through it.

-Try thickening the lines around his ear to match the rest of the logo.

Once again, there is a lot of improvement in this latest update. Regarding the shadows, there are a couple points I should make. The shadow inside the ear is perfect now. However, you still need a shadow on the neck underneath the ear, since the ear will be casting one. Also, there should be no shadow on the bottom of the neck, since there is nothing to cast it.

I agree with RCB about the teeth, but hesitate to suggest the best course to take there. Often you can get away with not showing individual teeth at all, or just hint at them. I don't know, perhaps you could remove the zigzag and add just a fang or two in the white area, but you will have to experiment...

For bonus points, try working on those outlines! Consider removing some of them (by merging them with the shadows if possible). In the end, you want to be suggesting contour with shapes, not lines. The shadows we have been harping about showing (and showing correctly) should be what define the structure of the dragon. For instance, the line that comes from the back of the chin and around the jaw - could you make it part of the shadow? You also have thin outlines around the orange parts of the ear. Consider eliminating them and making the shadows suggest the shape. You may do well to really darken all the shadows as well to get good contrast. I hope you get the idea; often explanations only serve to complicate simple ideas. Therefore, to explain via example just look at the Arizona Cardinals and Memphis Grizzlies logos. Do you see many thin outlines in them? And, especially check the shadows in the Grizzlies logo.

LT

I made a few changes to the shadowing, and eliminated the outline on the orange parts of the ear. I tried to change the teeth, but couldn't get anything to look right. I think I am close, but it still doesn't look just right. Tell me what you think.

dragonlogo8-3.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

Archived