Fantasy logo - dragons

-(dp)-

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting better all the time! One thing's bugging me though. I am looking at the highlight area you have across the top of the head. It may just be me, but something is not quite sitting right. For some reason it is making the top of the head look like it has a beveled edge. To some, it might also look like a misregistered print that came out without the color plates lined up since it basically runs parallel to the outline of the head.

Like I said though, it could be just me. What does everyone else think?

LT

p.s. consider making the outermost black outline twice as thick. Just a hunch...

I know you tried to work in something on the neck, but did you try a ridge along the back of the neck in the shape and colors as the ear? Might look cool...

Also, some ridges along the snout on top of the nose maybe and the teeth are the weekest I've seen on a fierce dragon...something longer, needle like with some shading for depth.. Imo.

It's getting very detailed, but it's lookin awsome!

It's looking great.

A few things that I think you should try are to make the teeth less uniform and tweak the "goatee."

For the teeth, they look way too perfect. No teeth fit together that well. Could we maybe see some bigger fangs in the front that hang down out of the mouth or something like that?

For the goatee, it looks awkward to me how it attaches under the jaw so smoothly. It kinda looks like it is actually attached on the side of his face that we can't see and it just hanging down. I hope that makes sense. Maybe you could make the line where the goatee meets green skin more jagged, or have a bit of the goatee creep up onto the green so it gives a better impression that is it attached to the middle of his chin and is hanging down under the jaw.

I made some small changes, like thickening the outline and changing the goatee (I'm not sure I like the way it turned out), but I still cannot get the mouth to look right. I played around with it a lot and nothing looked good. I can't figure out how to do it. Anyways, tell me what you think.

dragonlogo8-5.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

If you darken the shadows, you will be able to get away with less internal outlines. I'd encourage you to widen the shaded areas though: don't just use them as strokes of the outline: use them to create depth and dynamism.

I tend to agree with the other poster about the teeth: I'd be inclined to show only the top row of teeth, and even then, to merely hint at them (beware, that could look like crap too, who knows? :P).

I think it might be worth trying to make the black triangles on the neck green instead of black or darkened orange. I think the two colours play off one-another very nicely, and it'd be a shame not to capitalise on that.

One idea which could be arguably detracting from the initial concept, but something I'd do, is to lift the "shoulder" and bring it out, so that the neck goes more to the right and less downward. As was stated earlier, the dragon looks to be standing now; you'd be able to make the logo a lot less static by making it a bit more like it's dipping its head. I'd do that by basically making the neck more horizontal.

As I said, though, that's almost attacking the concept of the piece, and so it's up to you if you find that criticism constructive.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

That is really really good. Your first one is better than anything i could ever do. I think I can see you becoming someone that can make great designs of all sorts....

examples: Roger "time" Clemente, IronChefShark, Ian Baker. (Without a doubt there is more but that is just a couple!!!) :shocked:

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

It's been a few days, but Here I go again. I tried all of the things you guys said, but couldn't get them to look right. I did widen the shaded areas a little bit. I thought the idea about making the neck go more to the right was a good idea, but I couldn't get that to look right. I have a picture in my head of how that should look, but I couldn't do it right. I may mess with that again. The teeth didn't look right when I only hinted at them, I think it is because the mouth is so long. I have also added an alternate logo and a wordmark. The dragon head on the alt. logo looks a lot like the Texas Longhorns logo, I would like to try to get away from that. Tell me what you think, as usual.

dragonlogoalt.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

That secondary logo is mighty nice already. I agree with what you say about the longhorn look though. I don't really know what a dragon looks like head-on though so I can't suggest how to draw that. What might work there instead of the dragon head is the initials of the team's city.

The wordmark is beautiful. I was wondering about those pointy serifs, though. You alt logo is so symmetrical, I wonder if the wordmark might not look better if the serifs on the "ONS" pointed to the right to give it more symmetry. I think that the S would look a lot less forced that way also. I don't know, its just a thought, and could be a very easy thing to experiment with.

LT

A few tips to make the alt logo less longhorn-esque

-Shorten the snout, it looks a lot longer than the one on your primary

-Make the horns more vertical as opposed to going outward. Once agin, make them coincide more with your primary. Shortening the snout should give you room on the shield to do this.

This logo has come a long way. I think with just a bit more work it can be even greater. I still think that you need some minor tweaks to where the goatee meets the chin. Something about that just doesn't look right. Also, the teeth still need work. I know I have been pretty much the main one in this thread criticizing them, but I hope you can appreciate that I am just trying to help you out. The fang hanging down looks weird. This is just a whim, but have you considered a fang that sticks up from the bottom? That might look cool.

Here are the primary and secondary, with some minor tweaks. I changed the goatee and teeth a little on the primary. On the secondary, I made the nose shorter, and made the horns go outward a little bit more.

dragonlogoalt2.png

I also made some more wordmarks. I finally figured out how to get more fonts on inkscape, so I have more now. Tell me if you like one of these, or if I should do something different.

dragonswordmarks.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

Archived