NFL Commissioner Search

Mac the Knife

Apparently they're down to the "Final Five." From NFL.com:

ROGER GOODELL, 47, New York, N.Y. Executive Vice President, COO of the NFL. Oversees league business and football operations. Began career as trainee at Jones & Laughlin Steel in 1981. Joined NFL as intern in 1982, worked for New York Jets as PR/administrative intern in 1983-84 before rejoining NFL office in 1984. Assumed increasing responsibility at league and held number of positions, including EVP of business, properties and club services. Promoted to present position in 2001. Washington & Jefferson College, BA, 1981. Married; two children.

GREGG H. LEVY, 53, Washington, D.C. Partner, Covington & Burling LLP, the law firm where Tagliabue worked in 1989 when appointed Commissioner. Joined Covington & Burling in 1977. Is co-chair of firm's litigation group; the principal outside counsel for the NFL; and has played the lead role in all recent appellate victories for the league, including Maurice Clarett eligibility case in 2004. Harvard College, BA, 1974; Harvard Law School, JD, 1977. Married; four children.

FREDERICK R. NANCE, 52, Cleveland, Ohio. Managing Partner of the Cleveland office of Squire Sanders & Dempsey LLP law firm. Nance, on behalf of the city of Cleveland, handled the negotiation with the NFL guaranteeing the return of the Browns to that city in 1999. Also served as project counsel on all aspects of the Browns Stadium development. Joined firm in 1978, named partner in 1987, and assumed present position in 2002. Harvard University, BA, 1975. University of Michigan, JD, 1978. Married; two children.

ROBERT L. REYNOLDS, 54, Concord, Mass. Vice Chairman and COO of Fidelity Investments. Began at Fidelity in 1984 as vice president of firm's Management Trust Company and held several executive positions before being named to current position in 2000. Started career in 1974 at Wheeling (W.Va.) Dollar Bank, and joined NCNB (now Bank of America) in 1977. West Virginia University, BS, 1974. Married; four children.

MAYO A. SHATTUCK III, 51, Baltimore, Md. Chairman of the Board, President and CEO of Constellation Energy. The firm ranks 125th on the Fortune 500 and owns energy-related businesses that had revenue of $17.1 billion in 2006 with 9,700 employees. Began career in 1985 with Alex Brown and Sons, a corporte and investment bank. Joined the Bankers Trust Company in 1997 as its vice chairman and moved to Deutsche Bank in Baltimore in 1999, rising to chairman of the board in 2001. Williams College, Williamstown, Mass., BA; Stanford University, masters in business. Married, five children.

The vote's being taken at meetings next week. Does anyone think Roger Goodell won't be the one leading the NFL for the next, oh, 20 years?

nav-logo.png

How is this not a reality show on the NFL network yet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

There are many reasons why NFL Network would never air or even tape such a braodcast.

Even as there is a list of finalists and it is now public, current employers would not take lightly to the cameras. All of these men are pretty powerful in their own right, and probably are even more afriad about answering questions from the committee. Generally, they are the ones on the other side of the table. Public spectacles are left for the Super Bowl.

Owners and other committee members would definately be caught in an unpleaseant moment with language, or Ralph Wilson would be caught napping.

Shattuck's wife is a Ravens cheerleader. Not bad for 39 with 5 kids!

Molly Shattuck, wife of NFL Commissioner candidate Mayo Shattuck III

There are many reasons why NFL Network would never air or even tape such a braodcast.

Even as there is a list of finalists and it is now public, current employers would not take lightly to the cameras. All of these men are pretty powerful in their own right, and probably are even more afriad about answering questions from the committee. Generally, they are the ones on the other side of the table. Public spectacles are left for the Super Bowl.

Owners and other committee members would definately be caught in an unpleaseant moment with language, or Ralph Wilson would be caught napping.

Shattuck's wife is a Ravens cheerleader. Not bad for 39 with 5 kids!

Molly Shattuck, wife of NFL Commissioner candidate Mayo Shattuck III

I've seen many a thing on NFL Network already that I never thought I'd see, and they can edit the bejeezus out of stuff.

And performing in front of a camera is part of the Commissioner's gig. If a finalist can't do so, its best that the owners know this before picking him to serve as their official representative.

Owners and language? C'mon. NFLN has been doing league meetings since its inception. No worries there.

And hey, Molly went to my alma mater, IUP. She must've been a senior when I started going. Woo-hoo!

nav-logo.png

Archived