Most depressing sports memories

usahockeyrube

Every Canucks playoff run

2005 BC Lions loss to the Esks at home - pass interference on the final play, but no call :cursing:

Im with you one those two I got a few others

- Seahawks lose the Superbowl

- 2004 grey cup

- NHL lockout

- Canucks this Season

- Mavericks losing in the finals this year

- Grizzlies histroy in Vancouver

- Todd Bertuzzie's sucker punch on Steve Moore. For two reason one it ended any good chance of the canucks winning the cup that year. Two it was deoressing to see what happened to both Steve Moore and Todd.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2001 Game 6 and 7 Stanley Cup Finals. Went to Game 6 the crowd was all pumped up for back-back cups. Devils got a ton of power plays in the first period. Then they scored one one but the goal ended up being disallowed. From then on the series was all Avs.

2001 Game 7 World Series- Went to Game 4 of that series, with the comebacks all postseason it seemed like the Yankees were a team of destiny. Soriano hits the HR in the 8th to put them in the lead. Then the bottom of the 9th.

The worst for me though was Game 7 Eastern Conference Finals Devils vs. Rangers. I was 6 or 7 at the time. The Devils were down 1-0 late in the 3rd. They tied the game up with something like 7 seconds to go. Missed chance after chance in OT and then you know.

Fortunatly 3 cups since then has made up for it.

Yeah, unfortunately that experiment didn't exactly work out, though it definitely could have and maybe even should have. They could have had a killer team up in Vancouver, but some of their draft picks were selfish and didn't want to play there. Unfortunately, I don't think the NBA will go back to Vancouver, but I know basketball is somewhat big up there. I was wathing the And1 mixtape tour a few years ago and in Vancouver they got big crowds.

Yeah, unfortunately that experiment didn't exactly work out, though it definitely could have and maybe even should have. They could have had a killer team up in Vancouver, but some of their draft picks were selfish and didn't want to play there. Unfortunately, I don't think the NBA will go back to Vancouver, but I know basketball is somewhat big up there. I was wathing the And1 mixtape tour a few years ago and in Vancouver they got big crowds.

Basketball is way more popular with the tennager than hockey. The only thing im mad about is that the Grizzlies only got SIX YEARS. That is hardly anytime to field a competative team. If the NBA had patience and let Vancouver build a good team than Vancouver would still have team. Apparently though the Canucks owners have talked to Paul Allen about moving the Trail Blazers to Vancouver. Im doubtfull that will happen though.

-2005 Bengals playoff loss

The first Bengals playoff game that I was old enough to remember ended before it began. I was out of it for the rest of the playoffs, and excluding the super bowl I didn't watch anymore of the playoffs.

-1999 Reds lose to the Mets in one game playoff after blowing the wildcard clinching game in Milwaukee the night before. It was absolutely heart breaking. I didn't watch any of those playoffs after that either.

1998 Ohio State football loses to Michigan State while ranked no. 1 at home.

1996 Ohio State football loses to Michigan while undefeated

1995 Ohio State football loses to Michigan while undefeated

1988 Super Bowl 23. I was barely old enough to even be alive for this game but I have heard my dad who was in attendance for the game talk about it as if someone in the family had died. The Bengals had the game. Lewis Billups had the game ending interception in his hands and dropped it. Had the Bengals won things might have been different. Maybe they don't fall to bottom of the league. What's depressing about it is the thought of what could have been. Maybe I wouldn't have had a childhood of constantly having to defend being a bengals fan.

And something else that is depressing is the fact that Doug Maclean is still in charge of the Blue Jackets despite the fact that the team record for points in a season is only 74. He's abrasize towards management of other teams and he holds grudges against players who leave. He is just a jackass and the blue jackets will never be good as long as he is running the team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

1988-2005 detroit tigers baseball.

my entire lifetime of detroit lions football (1973-present), save for barry sanders remarkable career.

the lean seventies and nineties of detroit pistons basketball.

the dead wings era.

Bartman.jpg

I don't blame Bartman (can we leave the poor man alone already?), I blame Alex Gonzalez' error... And truthfully, the only reason that is more depressing than Durham's E is that it is 19 years more recent...

Moose

I'll just do the teams in my sig:

Cubs: Games 6&7 of the 2003 NLCS. I still haven't recovered.

Bears: The death of Walter Payton. The press conference when he announced he was dying was especially gut-wrenching.

Bulls: Trading Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler. What was Jerry Krause thinking?

Blackhawks: Trading Chris Chelios to Detroit for Anders Erikkson and a first round pick. How could Cheli, a Chicago native, accept a trade to Detroit? He would still be the captain of the Blackhawks.

Missouri Basketball: Losing to kU in the last game ever at the Hearnes Center in 2004. If Mizzou had won, it would have made the tournament. The sight of Aaron Miles spiking the ball at center court was quite nauseating.

Missouri Football: The death of Aaron O'Neal. No explanation necessary.

Leeds United: Getting relegated after 2004. Three years earlier, they were in the Champions' League semi-final. Two years later they are battling for promotion after losing to Watford(!) in the play-off final.

BONUS: The White Sox winning the World Series. Yuck.

The 1997 American League Championship Series.

Game 1:

Cleveland 0 4 1

Baltimore 3 6 1

Scott Erickson throws 8 innings, allowing just 4 hits, and the Orioles take Game 1.

Game 2:

Cleveland 5 6 3

Baltimore 4 8 1

With the Orioles leading 4-2 going into the top of the 8th inning, Armando Benitez relieves Scott Kamieniecki, who threw 3 scoreless innings. Benitez strikes out Jeff Branson, then walks Sandy Alomar. He strikes out Tony Fernandez, then walks Jim Thome. So a strikeout is next, right? Wrong. Blow-nitez allows a 2-out, 3-run HR to Marquis Grissom, which puts the Indians in the win column after Game 2.

Game 3:

Baltimore 1 8 1

Cleveland 2 6 0 (12 innings)

Mike Mussina throws 7 innings, allows 1 run on 3 hits, and strikes out 15. With Tony Fernandez on third and one out in the 12th inning, Omar Vizquel squares around to bunt and misses, but the ball gets by Orioles catcher Lenny Webster, who thinks Vizquel fouled the pitch off. Fernandez scores on the play to give the Tribe the Game 3 win.

Game 4:

Baltimore 7 12 2

Cleveland 8 13 0

With Manny Ramirez on second and 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, Armando Benitez walks Matt Williams, then allows the game-winning hit to Sandy Alomar, scoring Ramirez and handing the Indians the 3-1 series lead.

Game 5:

Baltimore 4 10 0

Cleveland 2 8 1

Scott Kamieniecki and Jimmy Key combined for 8 innings of 4-hit baseball. Eric Davis also hit a pinch-hit solo homer in the top of the 9th, and the Orioles edged closer in the series.

Game 6:

Cleveland 1 3 0

Baltimore 0 10 0 (11 innings)

Mike Mussina throws one of the most remarkable games in postseason history. He goes 8 innings, allows just 1 hit, and strikes out 10. Randy Myers throws 2 innings in relief of Mussina, allowing just 1 hit. In comes Armando Benitez. He started the inning well - striking out Marquis Grissom and getting Omar Vizquel to bunt out to Benitez. But he doesn't blow the game until he allows another 2-out homer - this one to Tony Fernandez in the top of the 11th inning - to spoil Mussina's outing and put an end to the Orioles chances of reaching the World Series.

Other notes:

- The Orioles outhit the Indians 54-40.

- Orioles pitching held the Tribe to a .193 batting average in the series.

- Every Orioles loss was by one run.

- Mike Mussina threw 15 innings, striking out 25 and allowing just 1 run on 4 hits.

- Armando Benitez threw 3 innings, allowing 4 runs on 3 hits - 2 of them home runs. He finished with a 12.00 ERA in the ALCS.

- Cal Ripken hit .348 in the 6-game series, going 8/23 with 2 doubles, a homer, and 3 RBI.

- I went to Games 1 and 6.

- I have ZERO tolerance for Armando Benitez and his existence.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Hey, iamthedorf, sorry for telling that one: the 1997 ALSC has probably the best, very competing baseball playoff I ever saw in my life besides maybe the 2004 ALCS.

My depressing sports memories:

- The last two games of the 2002 World Series. How dare the Giants blow that one!

- The 7 game of the 2003 ALCS. I felt the same thing when my beloved grandma died. :(

- Argentina got defeated on a dubious penalty goal in the final game of the 1990 Soccer World Cup

- The Swiss never let any goal against them in the 2006 Soccer World Cup... but got eliminated via a poor, ugly penalty series.

- The awful, cheated defeat of Argentina in the final game of the 2002 Basketball World Cup.

- Every semifinal blown by the Argentinean team in the Davis Cup.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

NHL

1990 Playoffs--first round--the Flames come out flat against the Kings--and what was the winning goal in OT to tie the series for the Flames doesn't count--this was the final straw that brought in replays for the officials. Then the Flames lose on a goal that should have been disallowed for goalie interference. Hey they still may have lost game 7--but there should have been a game 7 to lose.

That was more depressing in many ways than losing in the 2004 finals. In 90 we were defending champs--in 2004 unexpected finalists...

CFL

1991 Grey Cup--after the Stamps not being in the game for 20 years--a rematch with their opponents from their last appearance--but they lost.

1993 Western Final--Flutie couldn't pull another comeback out of the hat.

1994 Western Final--BC comes back on one last drive--and Flutie's brother pulls one out of a hat. The Lions gambled on 3rd down (3 downs remember) earlier in the drive and made it--the Stamps stop them, and they'd have been in the Grey Cup

1995 Grey Cup--the Stamps become the only team to lose to a US based team in the Grey Cup---they had the best regular season record against the US based team in the regular season (only 1 loss in 3 seasons.)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived