Most depressing sports memories

usahockeyrube

1995 AFC Divisional Round Game

Indianapolis vs. Kansas City

Lin Elliot misses a 42-yard field goal with 37 seconds left that would have tied the game. But that whole game was depressing. 4 turnovers. Worse was that the Chiefs had the best record that year.

2003 AFC Divisional Round Game

Indianapolis vs. Kansas City (again)

Watching that defense made me cringe the whole game.

CanadiensBanners.jpg

banners-1-1.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, to the Canada invented baseball claim, no we didn't event the way it is currently played. That was invented in Cooperstown, N.Y.

The game of "baseball" that is known to be played before the first game at cooperstown involved four bases and a regular stick.

Now basketball, and football we know where their origins come into. Hockey is still unknown... the mystery sport. There are theories that english men invented it during their tenure in canada, there are stories it was invented in quebec, and there is a story about a game being played between windsor and detroit. No one knows for sure...

BTW, to the Canada invented baseball claim, no we didn't event the way it is currently played. That was invented in Cooperstown, N.Y.

The game of "baseball" that is known to be played before the first game at cooperstown involved four bases and a regular stick.

Now basketball, and football we know where their origins come into. Hockey is still unknown... the mystery sport. There are theories that english men invented it during their tenure in canada, there are stories it was invented in quebec, and there is a story about a game being played between windsor and detroit. No one knows for sure...

Abner Doubleday did not invent baseball in 1839 in Cooperstown. Facts are he was not in Cooperstown that summer, he was in West Point, he never claimed to have invented the game and he never attended a professional game.

Now if you had read my post:

Baseball was not invented. It evolved from rounders and cricket. The earliest known reference was in a British publication in the 1740s. Hell, I remember reading a piece that claims baseball could go back to the 1400s in Spain. The earliest known American reference is 1791 where the town of Pittsfield, Massachusetts outlawed playing baseball within 80 yards of a new town center.

This game had a flurry of names from baseball to town ball to cat and dog. The rules were very vague and was very very different from the game we play today.

The Abner Doubleday story has as many holes as Swiss cheese. He never claimed to have invented the game. He was given the title of inventor of baseball by Spalding (the man) and a commission that turned up nothing when they tried to find the exact start point of the game. Doubleday wasn't even IN Cooperstown in 1839 when he supposedly invented the game.

The first baseball game played under the same basic rules we still use today was in 1845. Alexander Cartwright (also the inventor of the modern boxscore and many of the stats we use today like batting average) wrote the rules and his Knickerbocker club lost to a team from New York.

If you were to give the title of inventor to ANYONE it would be to Cartwright.

1997 | 2003

Hockey is still unknown... the mystery sport. There are theories that english men invented it during their tenure in canada, there are stories it was invented in quebec, and there is a story about a game being played between windsor and detroit. No one knows for sure...

Didn't we go over this a few months back?

http://www.sihrhockey.org/origins_report.cfm

origins_pic_4_jpg.jpg

(Psst...look at the caption on the painting)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Hockey is still unknown... the mystery sport. There are theories that english men invented it during their tenure in canada, there are stories it was invented in quebec, and there is a story about a game being played between windsor and detroit. No one knows for sure...

origins_pic_4_jpg.jpg

That's hockey? Looks like a bunch of people skating around with canes in their hands.

A guy running with a stick in his hands in the 14th century isn't the inventor of baseball

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Did you read the link Chris? Though SIHR (which I hold in much higher regard than the average Internet Forum user) makes no claim on the exact location and time of hockey's birth, a sizeable percentage of its membership believe that Hockey's roots is in the Netherlands from the 1600s, or even Scotland in the late 1500s, Despite their disagreement on where it was invented, SIHR does agree with the sentiment that the Windsor claim holds no water.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Did you read the link Chris? Though SIHR (which I hold in much higher regard than the average Internet Forum user) makes no claim on the exact location and time of hockey's birth, a sizeable percentage of its membership believe that Hockey's roots is in the Netherlands from the 1600s, or even Scotland in the late 1500s, Despite their disagreement on where it was invented, SIHR does agree with the sentiment that the Windsor claim holds no water.

Canada invented hockey as much as the US invented baseball. Both evolved from earlier simular, but different, European sports. Baseball as we know it today is an American invention, and hockey as we know it today is a Canadian invention.

Canada invented hockey as much as the US invented baseball. Both evolved from earlier simular, but different, European sports. Baseball as we know it today is an American invention, and hockey as we know it today is a Canadian invention.

If you mean McGill Rules to today, yes, but before then it becomes murky, with the race to establish a founder leader being currently held by those tricky Dutch (I suppose Joe Nieuwendyk and Ryan Vandenbussche are national heroes... ;)).

I think I safely speak for all Philadelphians when I say that the absolute most depressing day in the city's sports history would be:

1/19/2003.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

origins_pic_4_jpg.jpg

That's hockey? Looks like a bunch of people skating around with canes in their hands.

A guy running with a stick in his hands in the 14th century isn't the inventor of baseball

If that is hockey then its apparent hitting was always part of the game.

oBIgzrL.png

#1 Robert Harvey after '04 Preliminary Final loss in his 300th Game

#2 Last Night at Telstra Dome - at the realisation we wont win the flag

#3 Australia v Italy at the '06 World Cup

#4 Darren Jarman in the '97 Grand Final

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

origins_pic_4_jpg.jpg

If that is hockey then its apparent hitting was always part of the game.

...and awful uniforms....

I'm a Saints fan...where do I start?

Actually, these memories stand out most.

Jan. 6, 1991 , the NFC Wild-Card - My Saints lost to Chicago 16-6, but the key to the game was a blown call. As reported by chicagosports.com:

"Leading 10-3 early in the third quarter after Morten Andersen drilled a 47-yard field goal late in the second quarter, the Bears sent Butler in to attempt a 45-yarder with a 14-m.p.h. wind at his back. The kick was blocked by Reggie Turnbull and returned 61 yards by rookie cornerback Vince Buck for an apparent tying touchdown.

But Saints cornerback Robert Massey was detected lining up offside.

The Bears had new life and wound up with a 22-yard Butler field goal for a 13-3 lead with 6:29 left in the third period."

The game announcers kept showing the play, freeze-framing it at different poiints before the snap, and talking about how no one was lined up off-sides and nobody jumped (which was obvious from the video). The Saints got screwed, plain and simple. With that TD, it would have been a 10-10 tie instead of 13-3 Bears and the Saints would have had the momentum. Not that I'm still bitter 15 years later... :cursing:

The other was the last game of the 1983 season. It was simple - beat the Rams and home and have the first winning season and first playoff trip in the Saints' history, or lose and go 8-8. The Saints were ahead 24-23 and the drought was over, we would finally have a winning team and go to the playoffs!

Then the (*%*$(# Rams drove down and kicked a field goal with a few seconds left to win 26-24. I was at the Superdome for that game, and remember that most of the crowd just stood there, stunned, for about 30 minutes after the game ended. No kidding, it was really that long. We were just drained. It really sucked.

And oh yeah, that 49ers' playoff win over Green Bay when T.O. caught the winning score and bawled on the sideline. Remember that Jerry Rice fumbled a few plays before but the refs inexplicably called him down or some such BS. No replay back then so Green Bay went home and T.O. became famous because some zebra blew a call.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived