MLB changes for 2007?

CubsFanBudMan

The Rays don't need a change, other than the name and dropping "Devil", which won't come 'til at least '08, so you can count them out. But I think their look right now is perfect. Eliminated the black, except for the ray, and have green as the dominant color with the blue very effectively accenting it. I love it.

As for the brick, I really dunno. I know the Cardinals wouldn't switch to brick. Believe me, especially with the Astros having it. Cubs won't change.

My guess is either the Brewers are gonna use the brick they have in the logo that's listed as an official color, or else this guys blowin smoke up our @$$E$.

My 2 cents. Peace. B)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The brick?

You heard it here first: the Philadelphia Phillies.

They've been cherry red since 1993 and won an NLCS right out of the box, but the uniform hasn't changed since (except for the occasional sleeve patch).

I think they'll go a shade towards the cranberry they wore in the 70s and 80s. Perhaps this?

jjPhillies%20Jersey.jpg

Don't hold your breath. They ain't changing anything anytime soon. Unfortunately.

Here's the relevant Phillies post. Out of anyone, I now think the Phillies are the most likely candidate, and it would not interfere with tradition at all. I obviously have been overthinking it. BBTV, you seemed pretty certain it wouldn't be them... why is that?

Bouj, did you have any luck with your friend that had access to the Majestic catalog?

For the umteenth time, the Rays are not changing for the 2007 season, they did not file any changes by the deadline in May.

Well... sorry, I must have missed the memo.

But, way to screw another thing up for them.

It wasn't a screw up.

New name in cards for 2008

By MARC TOPKIN and KEITH NIEBUHR

Published May 31, 2006

By deciding to not change the team name, uniform and logo for next season, Devil Rays officials will have more time to come up with something different for 2008.

"There will be a change for the 2008 season," team president Matt Silverman said Tuesday at a Tropicana Field media conference. "It could be subtle. It could be just a change to the logo or the uniforms themselves. But we're going to leave open the possibility for more dramatic changes."

The Rays had come up with a short list of possibilities but decided they were not ready to meet Major League Baseball's deadline of May 31 in the season preceding the change.

"You don't get the opportunity very often to change the name of a team, so when you do you want to make sure that you do it right and give it the proper time and research necessary," Silverman said.

"A lot of ingredients go into making that decision. We do a lot of work internally. We employ consultants from the outside to help us. And we also try to get the reaction of our fans. And some of our non-fans as we try to reach out to a very broad part of the Tampa Bay market place.

"Our fans are very passionate about the name. Whether it's to change it or not to change it and it's important to get their input into the conversation as we go forward. It's not something you can rush."

Silverman said the Rays could announce the new name, and introduce the new uniforms, colors, logo - and merchandise - by the end of the 2007 season.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Most of the good teams get in and we don't have to watch teams in 10th, 9th and 8th place battle it our for a play off spot like in the NBA and NHL

Didn't the Oilers just make the Stanley Cup Finals as an 8?

ujsignature.png

Most of the good teams get in and we don't have to watch teams in 10th, 9th and 8th place battle it our for a play off spot like in the NBA and NHL

Didn't the Oilers just make the Stanley Cup Finals as an 8?

What's more exciting watching two or three sub to just above 500 teams battle it out for a play off spot or two or three teams that are 15-20 games over 500. There is a big difference in the quality of the product. Not saying an 8 seed in MLB can't get to the World Series.

Being NL East or AL West Champion in baseball actually means something, in hockey and basketball it doesn't. I don't want that taken out of the game.

1997 | 2003

If they were doing the NFL type playoff system.

NL

6-Diamondbacks

3-Padres

5-Reds

4-Dodgers

BYE

2-Cardinals

1-Mets

AL

6-Twins

3-Athletics

5-Red Sox

4-White Sox

BYE

2-Yankees

1-Tigers

Or, they could do it old school :D

ALCS- White Sox vs. Tigers

NLCS- Padres vs. Mets

I hope not.

The Angels have a great look now, and their red works perfectly in opposition with Dodger blue. They've set themselves up as perhaps the best looking two-team baseball town. Red vs. blue, what could be better than that?

Who knew LA's gang colors applied to baseball as well? ^_^

I hope not. 

The Angels have a great look now, and their red works perfectly in opposition with Dodger blue.  They've set themselves up as perhaps the best looking two-team baseball town.  Red vs. blue, what could be better than that?

Who knew LA's gang colors applied to baseball as well? ^_^

Testify!!

metslogo_215.gif

For the umteenth time, the Rays are not changing for the 2007 season, they did not file any changes by the deadline in May.

Well... sorry, I must have missed the memo.

But, way to screw another thing up for them.

It wasn't a screw up.

Just because they decided they were up against the deadline, so they gave themselves a new deadline does NOT mean it wasn't a screw up. Not being ready for the first deadline DOES seem like a screw up to me. If I did that at work, I'd get fired. "Oh, I'm not going to have it by 5:00 when you definitely needed it by, in order for the charges to go through today. I've decided to process the charges tomorrow, so my new deadline is tomorrow 5:00." Yeah RIGHT.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Just because they decided they were up against the deadline, so they gave themselves a new deadline does NOT mean it wasn't a screw up.  Not being ready for the first deadline DOES seem like a screw up to me.  If I did that at work, I'd get fired.  "Oh, I'm not going to have it by 5:00 when you definitely needed it by, in order for the charges to go through today.  I've decided to process the charges tomorrow, so my new deadline is tomorrow 5:00."  Yeah RIGHT.

Just because they decided they were up against the deadline, so they gave themselves a new deadline does NOT mean it was a screw up. The fatal flaw in your reasoning is that the Devil Rays never said that they were going to make the May 31 deadline nor did they have to. Their deadline is whenever they want it to be. If they want to keep the current name, colors, logos, and uniforms for the next ten years it still isn't a screw up based on your "work" analogy. It's not like the team will now be without a name, colors, logos, and uniforms because they didn't file changes for next season. The fact is that they only seriously started looking into the possibility of implementing changes in January and wanted more time to do it right.

It wasn't a screw up.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

nobody has really mentioned the pirates yet. what if they switched their fire red to brick, and kept the yellow and black. might look cool. who knows? i say them or he is bluffing.

If I had to guess off the top of my head, i'd say the Brewers are the team to use the brick. But maybe just for spring and BP. I've had the chance to dowload their official package and color specs off the media site, and know the brickish red is used sparingly, if that, but the team is trying to be more traditional, and it wouldn't really surprise me. Maybe a brick BP with the "Milwaukee" script.

brickbrewers.png

If I had to guess off the top of my head, i'd say the Brewers are the team to use the brick. But maybe just for spring and BP. I've had the chance to dowload their official package and color specs off the media site, and know the brickish red is used sparingly, if that, but the team is trying to be more traditional, and it wouldn't really surprise me. Maybe a brick BP with the "Milwaukee" script.

I agree, I think the Brewers are going to be the team with the brick red. First, because, as mentioned, they already have Brick as an official color and in the shadowing of their logo. Second, because of history. When Bud Selig bought the Seattle Pilots and moved them to Milwaukee in 1969, he wanted to make their colors navy and red like the old minor league Milwaukee Brewers. But the move took place only 6 days before the start of the 1969 season, so the Brewers were forced to use the blue and yellow Pilots uniforms, with "Milwaukee" hastily stitched on them--in fact, the outlines of the old letters were still visible. Due to this, the team kept some version of blue and yellow as their colors until the '90s. I'd bet that now that Bud has sold the team, they are going to make brick red alternate jerseys as a tribute either to his original vision for the club or to the old minor league club.

Not saying he deserves it, but the logic works...

Here's a game program of the 1947 minor league Milwaukee Brewers... navy and red.

225px-1947scorecard.gif

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I'd bet that now that Bud has sold the team, they are going to make brick red alternate jerseys as a tribute either to his original vision for the club or to the old minor league club.

Wow.

I don't think Brewer management cares much about his "original vision for the club."

Archived