NBA Board of Governors Approves Rule Changes

WJMorris3

NEW YORK, August 2, 2006 ? The National Basketball Association has enacted several significant rules changes that will go into effect for the upcoming 2006-07 season:

Playoff Seeding:

# The first four seeds in each conference will continue to be given to the three division winners and the team with the next best regular season record, but these four teams will now be seeded in order of their regular season records. Among other things, this change will ensure that the two teams with the best records in the conference will not meet earlier than the Conference Finals.

Shortening Timeouts:

# If a team has two 60 second timeouts left in the last two minutes of regulation or in overtime, one of the two timeouts will be shortened to a 20 second timeout.

# Instead of having three 60 second timeouts in overtime, teams will have two 60's and one 20 second timeout. Teams will no longer be permitted to carry over a 20 second timeout from regulation into overtime.

Increase in Playoff Roster Size:

# Playoff roster size will be expanded from 13 to 15 players, with each team designating 12 active players and up to three inactive players prior to each game.

?Our owners are intent on making the playoff seeding more fair for all teams going forward and in quickening the pace of the end of games,? said Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations. ?The Board also thought it made sense to allow teams to utilize the same 15-man roster in the playoffs that they use during the regular season.?

The rules changes were recommended by the Rules and Competition Committee at its annual meeting in June, and approved this week by a vote of the Board of Governors.

Well, the playoff setup actually helps, partially. Now, if the rule was in place last year... the West would see San Antonio and Dallas fighting for 1 and 2, Phoenix a solid 3, and Denver the 4th. Now you'd also see Memphis and the Clippers fighting to get the 5 seed and play Denver at home, instead of trying to lose their way to the 6th seed.

LvZYtbZ.png

Not a bad idea, but I don't think I'd call what happened this year a fiasco. In fact, it did exactly what the seeding system was supposed to as it was set up. The matchup of the two teams with the best records before the conf. finals was a fluke.

I agree. I think division winners should be rewarded. If the division is down one year, it might just as soon be up another.

I don't like changing the rules of a sport based on one anomoly, but here we are. All the same, the Spurs and Mavs look like they'll both be playing good basketball for a few more years yet, and I'm always in favor of exciting playoff matchups.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Now the division in the NBA means even less. My question is instead of doing this why don't they reseed like the NHL and NFL to where the top team remaining plays the worst team remaining.

The NHL does NOT re-seed... we lost home ice in the 2002 conference finals because of that.

Division Champion still means a lot in the NBA... if you win the division, you're guaranteed home court in the first round of the playoffs -- not too shabby.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Now the division in the NBA means even less. My question is instead of doing this why don't they reseed like the NHL and NFL to where the top team remaining plays the worst team remaining.

The NHL does NOT re-seed... we lost home ice in the 2002 conference finals because of that.

Division Champion still means a lot in the NBA... if you win the division, you're guaranteed home court in the first round of the playoffs -- not too shabby.

No it doesn't. The Nuggets last year did not have home court advantage against the Clippers, and from what I can tell, under the new system they still wouldn't have it.

What the NHL does, is pits the highest seed against the lowest seed, but they never do re-seed.

LvZYtbZ.png

The NHL does reseed it doesn't do a hard bracket like the NBA does. THe NHL just gives the division winners the top seed (until the Stanley Cup Final). The top seed in the NHL plays the lowest seed remaining in the conference. They don't automatically play the 4 vs 5 winner.

And in the NBA aren't you not guaranteed home court for being a division winner? Wasn't there some controversy this year where the division winner didn't get home court to where there was a case of teams tanking games to get the lower seed?

The NHL does reseed it doesn't do a hard bracket like the NBA does. THe NHL just gives the division winners the top seed (until the Stanley Cup Final). The top seed in the NHL plays the lowest seed remaining in the conference. They don't automatically play the 4 vs 5 winner.

By re-seeding I assumed you meant re-ranking... i.e. div winner get re-ranked based on points regardless of div champ status after round one

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Unfortionately, the NBA playoff system is still screwed up. The seedings should be done entirely by record, but a playoff spot should be guarenteed to the division winners.

Home court still goes to the team with the better record in a matchup, but you can still end up with a situation in the first round where the best record can play the sixth best record while four plays seven, three plays eight, and two plays five. That leads up to a situation in round two where one could play three and two could play four, assuming the better records won.

Save the slugalo.

Archived