Chargers to wear WHITE throwbacks this season

swilson160

Best look the Chargers have ever had (sans 25th anniversary patch):

200_fouts_102605.jpg

1st post here. Man what a great board this is!!!!

Anyway, I search Ebay for that era jersey and 90% of the time they have Fouts' Powder Blue jersey that he only wore in 1973.

The 1974-1984 jersey was the best for the Chargers.

If they are going to do the powder blues, at least do them with the yellow lightning bolt pants. That would be badass!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maybe glazer should have bought an expansion team... you can't disown a history. like it or not, it's the same team.

AGREED WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

Another big blowup about Glazer's hard-line stance on the old uniforms is that the die-hard legion of Buccaneer followers who were down with the team BEFORE THE RE-BRANDING and EVEN THROUGH ALL THE YEARS OF MISERY still relate to those uniforms in a way, so to just cast them off in the ocean somewhere really is to alienate that hard-core fanbase (myself included--so how glad was I when my cousin got drafted by them?). Yes--I know the team, with new ownership, new coaching staff and a new crop of players, was due for a change some kind of way, but still...YOU CAN'T FORGET YOUR PAST.

HEY GLAZER...YOU CAN NOT FORGET THE PAST!!!

You can't forget the past, but it is (for better or worse) Glazer's prerogative to downplay the past. I would love to see them go with the creamsicles (minus the orange pants, if my opinion counts), but Glazer is more than free to thumb his nose at the groundswell of public support.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I did some research on the white throwback jersey. One of the writers that covers the team in San Diego emailed me and they will wear the collegiate blues twice. They'll wear them against Pittsburgh and Cleveland. They will not wear the white set unfortunately.

200_fouts_102605.jpg

Easily better than the powder blues. But I'd almost say that the 1985-86 uniforms (same color scheme with yellow used more sparingly) were superior.

QPR%20Sig.png

200_fouts_102605.jpg

The interesting thing I'm seeing this year, is more people wanting to stick with the current navy or use the Fouts-era unis as throwbacks:

San Diego Tribune Charger Forum: Throwbacks

Yes, we blew away Buffalo last year in them, but we also lost another BIG game in them against Pittsburgh. That one game put us permanently behind in the playoff race and we never recovered.

"Colligate Blues" (from the Charger's offical website) are okay once a year, maybe. But I hate the thought of them being fulltime. They're overrated and I hate the helmets: the numbers look stupid and the white shell looks empty without them. Time to put'em down! (Speaking of "Time", Roger I couldn't diagree more...I know I'm not the only Charger fan that was highly angered when the took the bolts off the pants. Their lightning bolt is very distinctive...you see it and know it's the Chargers).

The interesting thing I noticed in the new Official Charger Merchandise catalog, is that there are several items playing with the Bolt color scheme. A few have a yellow bolt (like the Fouts-era) and even more have navy with a gold outline. Maybe that's where the true future is headed???

yep, those are sweet.

Yes those are nice. Especially the royal and yellow rather than the now overused navy and gold. I have always loved the powder but now that it is being used more and more (Titans, Panthers, Lions, Grizzlies, Jazz...) maybe the surprisingly unique royal and yellow would be the preference.

I did some research on the white throwback jersey.  One of the writers that covers the team in San Diego emailed me and they will wear the collegiate blues twice.  They'll wear them against Pittsburgh and Cleveland.  They will not wear the white set unfortunately.

Hmmm, that reminds me...doesn't the NFL have rule against a team wearing more than 3 different styles of jerseys per season? I know it may have been discussed here, when in 2002, the Saints wore home, road, throwback, AND gold jerseys all in the same season, and they were fined for it.

So technically, if such a rule exists, the Chargers can't sport a white uni and powder blue uni in the same season.

Hmmm...that's a little bit different. If the Chargers wore "away" throwback as well as the Colliegate Blue throwback, that would be okay since they are just home/away variations of the same style. In the Saint's case, they wore a hrowback plus an alternate. That double combo was the problem.

Guys this was fron a thread earlier in the year and i think this will clear up the reasons for the Chargers trying out the throwbacks in white.

ESPN Radio about the Chargers' Throwbacks, Mortensen at the Owners meetings asked..

Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

willieg21 Posted: Friday, April 14th, 2006 - 17:30:18

Group: Members

Member No.: 612

Listening to NFL Reporter Chris Mortensen on ESPN Radio the other night. He was chatting with San Diego Chargers President about going to the old throwbacks full time. Team Official said that they were "Trying their best" to make a permanent shift to the old school powder blues, but the problem they were encountering was....the AWAY uniforms. Everyone in the organization hates the road throwbacks. From the owner on down to players to the equipment managers! Everyone thinks they're "too bland". But the prez said they're going to "keep working at it" until a final solution is reached, and it'll be throwbacks forever in SD

they are going to obviously try out a white (road )throwback see the player and more importantly the fan reaction and i do believe this is the begining of a change to the throwbacks full time

I hate to oversimplify things, but some of you like the powder blues, some of you prefer the Fouts era unis, but when it comes down to it, a VAST majority of football fans prefer something OTHER than what they wear now.

I dare say that most of the people that like the powder blues were consider the Fouts blues an improvement over what they wear now.

On the flip side, I am guessing that many of the Fouts blue fans would rather see the powder blues than the currents. (Affectionately known as "bruise blue" by my NFL watching friends)

BroncosSig.jpg

anyone have that article about brooks begging the buccs to wear the throwbacks?

he's a class act :)

Orange you glad to be a Buc?

By Joanne Korth

July 28, 2006

Pro Bowl linebacker Derrick Brooks isn?t ashamed. He wants the Bucs to wear throwback orange uniforms in a game, and the franchise?s first appearance on Thanksgiving Day at Dallas is the perfect opportunity.

Brooks, fullback Mike Alstott and tight end Dave Moore are the only players remaining who wore orange before the team changed its colors to red and pewter in 1997.

"I?ve been vetoed," said Brooks, a first-round draft pick in 1995. "I like the orange. Our younger players, they want to wear it. They?re not embarrassed about our franchise history and the colors. They want to wear it and I want to wear it."

Brooks, who wants the franchise to create a Ring of Honor to recognize former players, is proud of his first NFL uniform. He has it framed at his home, complete with Bucco Bruce helmet. But so far, his throwback pleas have been rejected.

"It?s a policy with the NFL, and I understand it starts with them about the uniforms," Brooks said. "I guess it?s really not totally up to our owners, from what I understand. But if you want something done, you can get it done."

I mean, after all, did they not make it to a championship game in those?  Had a future Hall-of-Fame tacke (Paul Gruber) play in them, another few potential HOF'ers (Lee Roy Selmon, Hardy Nickerson, and my good cousin Bo) play in them...it ain't ALL BAD.

Potential Hall of Famer Lee Roy Selmon? Come on, man... he's the ONLY Buccaneer in the Hall of Fame! (Steve Young doesn't count.)

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Here was my first concept that I posted when I joined the forum. I tried to blend the collegiate blue they used during the Lance Allworth, day's along with the blue of the Dan Fouts, era. I updated the bolt pattern on the pant's and added thin contrasting stripes to the sleeve, sock and neck lines. Then I gave them a wordmark in the Charger, font and did two helmets based on the old styles but I took away the numbers for the white one and added a blue facemaske to it.

CONCEPT81-ChargersBluePants.jpg

CONCEPT81-Chargers.jpg

On the flip side, I am guessing that many of the Fouts blue fans would rather see the powder blues than the currents. 

Uh, NO.

Never.

Ever.

Funny thing is, we've had no opportunity to test fan's reactions to the Fouts-era unis. Younger fans have never seen them in action in person. Unless you were watching back when they were worn, the only thing left are photos and videos, and the quality of most images from 20-some-odd-years-ago leave alot to be desired.

As awesome as the Royal Blue unis were, let them remain in Navy versus Collegiate Blue any day of the week. :D

Archived