Hockey tuques

mjrbaseball

Nothing against the heritage classic- it was quite a spectacle-but the site lines were horrible.

It'd be better for the fans in attendance if the nhl constructed 20,000 temporary stands that could be trucked around north america. Otherwise this should be a one time event. The thought of hosting outdoor games in football arenas sounds rather gimmicky.

If they decide to do this on a semi-regular basis, I suggest they set up the rink the way they do basketball courts in indoor stadiums like Syracuse -- crosswise in one end zone. That wraps stands around 3 sides close, and temporary seats can go up on the other side.

Or how about at a baseball stadium running along one foul line with one corner of the rink at home plate?

(That way the Bruins could play a game at Fenway Park)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

No, A North Dakota-Minnesota game would be better, IMO.

It might make for a better hockey game, but Wisconsin and Minnesota are rivals in all sports, not just hockey.  Heck, they have the oldest continuous football rivalry in Division I (Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe).  Plus, they can't play it anywhere outdoors in Minnesota or North Dakota (does the Sioux even play football outdoors?), so Camp Randall is the best choice here.  The Badgers may be down in hockey right now, but a Wisconsin-Minnesota matchup would have more appeal regionally and make more money.

QPR%20Sig.png

quote]Plus, they can't play it anywhere outdoors in Minnesota or North Dakota (does the Sioux even play football outdoors

North Dakota could play at Memorial Stadium, the outdoor track and football facility about two blocks from the new Engelstad Arena. The sious have only played indoors for about four years. I can vouge for this. As an alum, i think parts of my boots are still frozen into the Memorial Stadium bleachers.

it really is a shame they just started to dismantle the vet. it would been a great place to watch a hockey game between the flyers and devils.  the round multipurpose stadiums i think would be much better for hockey than a football only stadium because virtually every seat in the house would have a relatively good view of the ice set up between the 30 yd lines. anyone agree?

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

quote]Plus, they can't play it anywhere outdoors in Minnesota or North Dakota (does the Sioux even play football outdoors

North Dakota could play at Memorial Stadium, the outdoor track and football facility about two blocks from the new Engelstad Arena. The sious have only played indoors for about four years. I can vouge for this. As an alum, i think parts of my boots are still frozen into the Memorial Stadium bleachers.

Yeah, but does it have 80,000 seats (like Camp Randall)? :D

And round stadiums probably wouldn't be any better in terms of sight lines for outdoor hockey.  You can only have so many seats that have a sight line almost perpendicular to the ice running long.  The reason they had a tougher time of it in Edmonton is that their stadium has an outdoor track around their football surface, something most American football stadiums don't have.  Plus, these newer facilities are designed to bring seating closer to the field than their round cookie-cutter counterparts from 30-40 years ago...

QPR%20Sig.png

Archived