What's your flavor?

pagan696

this came up during a bet last week so i thought i'd throw it out to you all.

when local politicians go against their peers in bets or wagers, they like to offer food or something "close to home".

being from NC our bets often include:

eastern NC style barbeque (pulled pork, vinegar based, very tart, very good), Texas Pete hot sauce, Lance crackers, SunDrop citrus soda (think Mtn. Dew with a kick), Duke's mayo (a true southern mayo), Neese's Livermush.

i'm kinda glad that tobbacco has fallen from favor, not like anyone would want case of 'chaw or smokes, right?  haha!

what is your area known for?

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

I moved from Akron, Ohio to Delaware about a year ago.  It's here that I discovered a local, um, delicacy known as scrapple.  Before I explain what it is, anyone already know?

I also discovered moving here that I could no longer get jo-jo's with my chicken, which makes me wonder how wide a swath jo-jo's are known in.  Are jo-jo's an ohio thing, a midwest thing, and everywhere-but the eastern seaboard thing?

And before I explain what they are, anyone already know?

Basically the same stuff you mentioned.  :P

eastern NC style barbeque...best BBQ ever.

Texas Pete hot sauce...this stuff goes good on near ANYTHING.

Lance crackers...without these, I probably wouldn't be alive.

SunDrop citrus soda...better yet, Cherry-Lemon Sun Drop :D

Duke's mayo...as with any mayo, where's the puking smiley?

Neese's Livermush...puking smiley, party of two!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

being a detroiter in southern exile, i wish someone would send me:

coney dogs/chili cheese fries (god, i want a coney dog right NOW!!!! especially from lafayette coney island....so scrumptious!)

slurpees (there's no seven-11's near me, and my wife doesn't understand that there's a HUGE difference between slurpees and icees......f*** icees)

ethnic food (thai, ethiopian, indian, mediterranean, ANYTHING OTHER THAN CHICKEN FRIED STEAK, please god, i want some variety)

woodward avenue brewery on monday nights (half off food night)

Faygo Rock n' Rye soda (simply the best soda ever made)

Town Club Soda

Better Made Red Hot Potato Chips

Molson Canadian, Labatt Blue at non-import prices

Garden Fresh Salsa Company (if you live in the detroit area and haven't tried this, you're retarded.....they carry it at Meijer now....hands down the best salsa ever made, and it's made in Ferndale)

Danny's Irish Pub on 9 mile & Woodward

Gusoline Alley in Royal Oak

Good record stores like Record Time and Neptune Records. (hell, i'd even take a Harmony House right now)

....much much more

In St. Louis, naturally any wager includes a variety of Anheuser Busch products.  In addition to the suds there's usually something called Toasted Ravioli involved.  For the uninitiated, Toasted Ravioli is ravioli (usually meat) that is not boiled but rather is dipped in egg wash and Italian breadcrumbs, deep fried, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and served with marinara sauce for dipping.  When done right, the crunch of the breadcrumbs gives way to a chewy pasta "skin" and then the piping hot filling.  When done wrong, as can unfortunately occur frequently if you go to the "wrong" place in St. Louis - and there are sadly many of these places - you get a too-crunchy overdone mess with dry, mealy filling.  Finally, another St. Louis export is usually thrown into the mix, and given the first two items it's a good thing to have around -- TUMS.

ok, so what is a "jo-jo"?

scrapple i'm familair with.

slurpees have been extinct here since most of the 7-11s were switched over to (millions of independent) generic quickie marts.

Keith's and Screech sound like a nice ale (correct?)

Johnnys sauce (no idea).

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Scrapple is a breakfast food, kind of like sausage only square and flat, less flavorful, and sort of....spongy.  It's sort of the Spam of breakfast meats.

Jo jo's are, more specifically, jo jo potatoes, and a staple with any takeout chicken dinner in ohio.   It's basically a potato that's sliced into quarters legthwise and fried or deep-fried.  DAMN, are they good, I miss them.

I have seen them in other parts of the country as well, but since they are not as popular as in Ohio, they are usually given some unimaginative name like "Potato Wedges"

I don't know what Johnny's sauce is, either.

Geez, so many posts dedicated to the nature of Johnny's Sauce and nobody's said anything dirty yet?  I guess we save that for the BOTW thread, eh?  In any event, there is a Johnny's Sauce in Oklahoma City that's basically a hickory based bbq sauce (very smoky and almost no sweetness), but that doesn't appear to be what these people are talking about.

Or is it?

Ok, any wager with the Lou involves an Amighetti's special and some Imo's, that's what I'm sayin'.  Oh, yeah, and some Vess peach soda.

Um, I think I can scrape up some lutefisk... ???

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Our college plays its arch rival about 14 miles down the road in the 6th oldest rivalry in college football. Anyway, every year they wager a bunch of turkeys and can goods to the homeless shelter in town of the team that wins.

That's the best I could do. :) Being from New Jersey, I dunno what we'd wager since our teams might get on the turnpike and leave.

I'm in Illinois now, so maybe we'd wager lots of corn.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Ok, any wager with the Lou involves an Amighetti's special and some Imo's, that's what I'm sayin'. Oh, yeah, and some Vess peach soda.

Um, I think I can scrape up some lutefisk... ???

You can keep the lutefisk and for that matter you can have the Vess Peach (I prefer Whistle Orange).  But day old Imo's black olive pizza straight outta the fridge - that's what I'm talkin' about man.

Mockba, you'll find it interesting that tonight and Friday night are Imo's busiest days of the year with the lone exception of the Super Bowl.  So many St. Louis expatriates back in town for T-Day gotta get their Imo's fix.

this came up during a bet last week so i thought i'd throw it out to you all.

when local politicians go against their peers in bets or wagers, they like to offer food or something "close to home".

being from NC our bets often include:

eastern NC style barbeque (pulled pork, vinegar based, very tart, very good), Texas Pete hot sauce, Lance crackers, SunDrop citrus soda (think Mtn. Dew with a kick), Duke's mayo (a true southern mayo), Neese's Livermush.

i'm kinda glad that tobbacco has fallen from favor, not like anyone would want case of 'chaw or smokes, right? haha!

what is your area known for?

It's interesting and perplexing that our politicians here in North Carolina make these types of wagers... and yet refuse to authorize a state lottery.

???

nav-logo.png

Geez, so many posts dedicated to the nature of Johnny's Sauce and nobody's said anything dirty yet? I guess we save that for the BOTW thread, eh? In any event, there is a Johnny's Sauce in Oklahoma City that's basically a hickory based bbq sauce (very smoky and almost no sweetness), but that doesn't appear to be what these people are talking about.

Or is it?

Nope this is good ole J-town New York.

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

Nova Scotia's specialty can be summed up in one fantastc delicious word:

DONAIRS!!!!

Basically, you take your ground beef, add some spices, bake it as a loaf, then sliced pieces of this loaf and fry them with a pita.  Serve the beef in the pita and top it withwith diced onions, tomatoes and donair sauce, which consists of milk, vinegar and sugar (and maybe cottage cheese)  Delicious and extremely filling.

Local drink? Eh.....does tarpond water count?  (No one really drinks that.)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived