NHL to get 1.4 billion

Original6

1.4 billion what, pesos? What fool would give the NHL 1.4 billion dollars?

CTV and TSN's owner(Bell Globalmedia) as well as the Maple Leafs. Bettman would be really stupid to turn this deal down.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

$1.4B? Tradition? $1.4B Tradition?

Sorry, CBC, I think you and HNIC lose out on that battle. It fits into those plans we talked about months ago, though. I don't have it at hand but it was discussing CBC getting out of the sports television business and focusing more on public broadcasting.

In US dollars it works out to about 1.2 billion dollars. Since it's over ten years the league is looking about 124 million per year in US dollars. Combine it with the US rights and it still puts the league well below the others in TV rights. Still it is a nice chunck of change that you don't turn down although because it's over 10 years it isn't as much as it sounds.

1.4 billion what, pesos?  What fool would give the NHL 1.4 billion dollars?

CTV and TSN's owner(Bell Globalmedia) as well as the Maple Leafs. Bettman would be really stupid to turn this deal down.

Bell Globemedia also owns the Globe and Mail, the ones who "broke" the story.

I saw, I came, I left.

So you're saying he's going to turn it down.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Guys, this isn't as Earth-shattering a deal as you'd think.

Yes, $ 1.4 billion is an awesome number - if it weren't split (1) over 10 years and (2) among 30 teams.

Do the division and it works out to $ 4,666,666 per year, Canadian, and that's a gross figure - once the attorney's, the league's central fund and so forth get through with it, it'd be more like $ 4 million a year per team.

Not exactly a bonanza.

nav-logo.png

I hope this doesnt happen. What would happen with all of CBC's broadcasters? Would Ron Maclean, Don Cherry, Bob Cole, Harry Neale, Kelly Hrudey, and the rest of the crew move to CTV?

I think if I see Pierre McGuire and Bob Mackenzie... or worse.. Nick Kypreos on Hockey Night in Canada I will probably puke.. then cry.. then puke some more.

Then probably just watch.

Bell Globemedia also owns the Globe and Mail, the ones who "broke" the story.

And since they're all part of the same Bell Globemedia empire, I wouldn't be suprised if the "sources" cited in the story were the Bell Globemedia executives themselves. This story is really Bell Globemedia wanting to make the first salvo in this bidding war public, in addition to scaring the bejezzus out of CBC executives.

It was also mentioned in the article of a possible "TSN2" that (if approved by the Canadian government) would air some of the games, especially playoff games. I'm no expert on Canadian television, but I don't think there's enough room in their market (which is considerably tinier than the U.S. market) for another all-sports channel alongside TSN and Rogers Sportsnet.

I hope this doesnt happen. What would happen with all of CBC's broadcasters? Would Ron Maclean, Don Cherry, Bob Cole, Harry Neale, Kelly Hrudey, and the rest of the crew move to CTV?

I think if I see Pierre McGuire and Bob Mackenzie... or worse.. Nick Kypreos on Hockey Night in Canada I will probably puke.. then cry.. then puke some more.

They'd probably move. Haven't you noticed how many of CBC's olympic personalities are now moving over to TSN to get ready for the 2008 games.

1zqy8ok.gif

I hope this doesnt happen.  What would happen with all of CBC's broadcasters?  Would Ron Maclean, Don Cherry, Bob Cole, Harry Neale, Kelly Hrudey, and the rest of the crew move to CTV?

They'd probably move. Haven't you noticed how many of CBC's olympic personalities are now moving over to TSN to get ready for the 2008 games.

... you mean the 2010 games. CBC still has the 2008 games.

I saw, I came, I left.

The Score is the best sportschannel for the hardcore sports fan. People make too big of a deal ticker. The channel is higher up on the channel lineup too so it looks bad imagewise. That channel is a Gem imo especially when I get to watch wrestling and follow the scores at the bottom.

Archived