Leagues with two teams - same name

gojetsgo

OK, so with talk of the possible return of the Roughriders (er.. Rough Riders), it got me thinking:

What other leagues have two teams with the same name. The CFL used to a few years back, and the AHL did thanks to the merger with the IHL (Milwaukee Admirals and Norfolk Admirals). This is generally a strange phenomenon and a bit unprofessional, in my opinion.

Can you think of any more leagues like that?

OK, so with talk of the possible return of the Roughriders (er.. Rough Riders), it got me thinking:

What other leagues have two teams with the same name. The CFL used to a few years back, and the AHL did thanks to the merger with the IHL (Milwaukee Admirals and Norfolk Admirals). This is generally a strange phenomenon and a bit unprofessional, in my opinion.

Can you think of any more leagues like that?

The Roughriders are playing now, the Renegades are the ones coming back.

The Roughriders are playing now, the Renegades are the ones coming back.

That depends on which group gets to try and resurrect the Ottawa franchise... one of 'em now has rights to the "Rough Riders" name, having acquired them from Horn Chen.

I know of a semi-pro football league that has three teams using a derviation of "Raiders": a "Red Raiders," a "Purple Raiders," and a "Runnin' Raiders."

nav-logo.png

The Roughriders/Rough Riders thing is like the Admirals thing--they existed in separate leagues really --- and when the East & West merged they just left them--thus Saskatchewan being called the Green Riders--to distinguish them.

Still I hope they don't resurrect the name.

Also when the Green Riders took the name the Ottawa team had stopped using it.

There were those on the original Regina team (that became known as Saskatchewan) who apparently had connections with Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders.

(BTW --the Saskatchewan Roughriders didn't originally have Green unis--the reason they do is kind of humourous--anybody else know why?)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

(BTW --the Saskatchewan Roughriders didn't originally have Green unis--the reason they do is kind of humourous--anybody else know why?)

Why?

I thought it was because the company from Chicago where they ordered their uniforms from screwed up the delivery. They ended up getting green uniforms instead but did so well wearing them they decided to keep them.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Why?

I thought it was because the company from Chicago where they ordered their uniforms from screwed up the delivery. They ended up getting green uniforms instead but did so well wearing them they decided to keep them.

Close--the owner was in Chicago and saw the uniforms were cheap--so he bought them.

Thye were Green.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Australian NBL ... used to have two variations of "Cats" ... Perth Wildcats and the Geelong Supercats. Unfortunately, the "super" version didn't live up to their name and have since folded.

On a similar topic, the NBL also has one of the worst new team names I've come across for a while ... The Singapore Slingers (yes, they're based in Singapore).

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

Archived