New Baltimore Orioles jerseys?

totc

In a recent Deadspin article people were only talking about how unsafe it is (around Camden Yards mostly, which is actually a very nice area). Happy to see you enjoy coming here every year.

Yikes! Camden Yards? Unsafe??! Not my travels.

Happy to visit each year -- a fascinating, historical city. I've never had a bad time.

Count me as a local who thinks Baltimore is a great town to visit (and who tries to push his friends to keep it in mind when they're planning trips). Keep coming and bring your friends.

As for Camden Yards being unsafe, I've never heard that before. It is in a very nice area (which is being further developed and improved every day) and doesn't seem any more dangerous to me than any other decent area in a big city. If I didn't think it was safe, I wouldn't have taken my 4-year-old there with me for two Friday night games earlier this summer.

With regard to the inferiority complex, I think a lot of comes from being regularly lumped together with Washington and from often being overlooked among big East Coast cities. Every once in a while, we locals feel the need to remind people that "Baltimore/Washington" is not like "Minneapolis/St. Paul". The cities are about 35 miles apart, not straddling a river.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

In a recent Deadspin article people were only talking about how unsafe it is (around Camden Yards mostly, which is actually a very nice area). Happy to see you enjoy coming here every year.

Yikes! Camden Yards? Unsafe??! Not my travels.

Happy to visit each year -- a fascinating, historical city. I've never had a bad time.

Count me as a local who thinks Baltimore is a great town to visit (and who tries to push his friends to keep it in mind when they're planning trips). Keep coming and bring your friends.

As for Camden Yards being unsafe, I've never heard that before. It is in a very nice area (which is being further developed and improved every day) and doesn't seem any more dangerous to me than any other decent area in a big city. If I didn't think it was safe, I wouldn't have taken my 4-year-old there with me for two Friday night games earlier this summer.

With regard to the inferiority complex, I think a lot of comes from being regularly lumped together with Washington and from often being overlooked among big East Coast cities. Every once in a while, we locals feel the need to remind people that "Baltimore/Washington" is not like "Minneapolis/St. Paul". The cities are about 35 miles apart, not straddling a river.

Count me as another Balmer lover, hon. And as a Philadelphian, I sympathize with your inferiority complex - we may be part of yours indirectly, but we've had a bit of one of our own to deal with.

We live about 90 minutes north of Baltimore (I drive fast, sorry... :blush:), and we made a few weekend trips to Baltimore growing up, and I have continued it into adulthood. There's plenty to do, the people are nice enough, and the places I visit are plenty safe. There are bad neighborhoods, but what major city doesn't?

One of my roommates from college went to law school in Baltimore, and 2 more live in DC, so Baltimore is always on a short list of places for a quick weekend getaway.

If you haven't been, give it an honest chance before you turn up your nose.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

What's funny is, technically, Baltimore is a bigger city than D.C.

I remember going to an Orioles game right after they built the new stadium and didn't think it was that bad of a city (though I grew up in Detroit, so....), though it wasn't the nicest/safest town I've ever seen either. And it smelled like urine.

I think that's the same nonsense that people keep saying about Yankee Stadium now and then, how the neighborhood is "dangerous."  :rolleyes:

Old stereotypes die very hard.

Yes, they do. I spent a full Friday around the Stadium neighbourhood before a night game with the Angels last summer. I don't know what it was like in the past, but I thought Yankeetown was a cool funky place...

As a Philadelphian, I sympathize with your inferiority complex - we may be part of yours indirectly, but we've had a bit of one of our own to deal with.

I love the distant Philly skyline from CBP, but I hope people on baseball/football/hockey/hoops trips take time to visit the city, too. Philly's another must-stop, usually on the same trip, but I have to be careful chowing down too many crabcakes, hoagies and Philly cheesestakes!

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

I love the distant Philly skyline from CBP, but I hope people on baseball/football/hockey/hoops trips take time to visit the city, too.  Philly's another must-stop, usually on the same trip, but I have to be careful chowing down too many crabcakes, hoagies and Philly cheesestakes!

As remote as the skyline looks from CBP, the park is only about 3.5 miles south of Center City. A quick trip on the Broad Street Line would get you from the stadium complex to the heart of Center City in a few minutes.

I understand that they wanted to keep all the stadiums together, and the infrastructure and highway access were already there. Still, until they build up the surrounding area, I'm not sure that the food packing district was the right place for the ballpark.

And you need to leave room for our soft pretzels, pork roll and water ice; you're on your own if you're thinking about grabbing some Scrapple... :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Philly's another must-stop, usually on the same trip, but I have to be careful chowing down too many crabcakes, hoagies and Philly cheesestakes!

Philly for crabcakes?! I think you need to head about 90 miles farther south down I-95. :D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

And you need to leave room for our soft pretzels, pork roll and water ice; you're on your own if you're thinking about grabbing some Scrapple...

Between the great food and South St., if I lived in Philly I'd be a 365-day wreck! :D

Philly's another must-stop, usually on the same trip, but I have to be careful chowing down too many crabcakes, hoagies and Philly cheesestakes!

Philly for crabcakes?! I think you need to head about 90 miles farther south down I-95. :D

Yes, well I did refer to my Philly and Baltimore stops being on the same trip. That's what I meant... :)

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Yes, well I did refer to my Philly and Baltimore stops being on the same trip. That's what I meant... :)

My bad. I was confused because it was in the same sentence as hoagies and cheesesteaks and wanted to make sure you knew what you were missing (or at least what I thought you were missing). Carry on.

So, if this show is on a lot, can someone grab a screengrab of the unis? I'd like to see them.

So would I -- they sound intriguing. I was glad when the Dodgers went back to "Los Angeles" for their roads and I'd love to see the O's do the same...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Archived