M&N Jerseys

wman

I have been looking at Eagles jerseys from the late 70s-early 80s (Invincible) era. Mitchell and Ness makes several replicas. Thing is, when I compare their 1980 jersey vs a 1981 program (with 1980 pics), they're not quite right. My issues are with the size of the numbers and size of the names on the back of the jersey. Anyone else see this with other jerseys?

PS--Don't even get me started on the crap Reebok is trying to put out. Their reproductions, which are coming out 9/1, are horrible. So many issues, including the numbers of course.

HEY REEBOK, I'm not spending over $100 on something that you clearly spent no time in putting together.

Sorry, I just had to vent.

Bring back the Whale!

Yeah, M&N does a lot fairly well, but it's been discussed often on this board that details are often misrepresented on M&N's stuff. Which, really, if it isn't 100% dead-on, why would you lay down $300+ for it?

The inaccuracy that immediately comes to mind is M&N's 1969 Seattle Pilots home jerseys. They've always used the Red Sox font for these, which is completely wrong. The Pilots used a standard block font, akin to what's currently in use by the Yankees and Braves. Oddly, M&N's Pilots road jerseys use a block font, though I also believe this one is inaccurate - the numbers seem too thin.

Also, don't the majority of M&N's basketball throwbacks utilize tackle-twill, even though just about everything from the late '70s through early '90s was screen-printed? They probably do that to justify the price, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Also, don't the majority of M&N's basketball throwbacks utilize tackle-twill, even though just about everything from the late '70s through early '90s was screen-printed? They probably do that to justify the price, though.

It's a possibility. I know with the football jerseys from the 70s/80s, the material is much different from what was used. Many of the jerseys then used a very cheap-looking, see-through material with big holes. They use a more current fabric. Also, I am pretty sure they sew on the letters/numbers for all the football jerseys, too.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They don't sew names / numbers on for all jerseys, they do use the heat pressed numbers for some teams. Often times the knock-offs will use sewn numbers when they shouldn't. However, since they blew up a few years ago, M&N has put out some real garbage. For example, I was at their store in Phila. a few weeks ago, and it is filled with Reggie White and Ron Jaworski gear. The Reggie White jerseys were in different shades of green (the correct kelly, and some darker and significantly lighter shade, including a nearly "sparkley" green reminiscent(sp) of the old Wilson "authentics.") The name font is not 100% accurate, and for a long period of time, including the '92 season (the "JB" patch year) he wore "R. White" on his back, not "White."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

M&N are usually close, but not quite authentically identical to the truth.

I have the '85 Reggie Jackson Angels jersey, and the name on the back is wrong. It should be vertical arched (as the Angels wore during that era), but it is just regular arched. Usually, it's little things like that.

But I agree that if you're gonna sell something for 3 bills, the least you could do is replicate it as absolutely close as possible. VA, number fonts, names, all these things shoudl be the first to be correct.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

M&N cannot be identical to the old stuff. And this is for several reasons.

1) Logos of uniform sponsors like Wilson, Puma, Gerry Cosby, etc.

2) Eagles jerseys of the late 70s had the big fishnet holes in the mesh and it's almost impossible to reproduce without looking really cheapo. Sometimes better fabric technology for today makes a jersey look better.

3) You don't want to make them completely identical, or else you would have memorabilia dealers buying jerseys from M&N and doctoring them to make them appear game-worn.

Some of them are very good (I own a first-year Raptors pro-cut jersey from Champion and the M&N replica is amazing), and some not as good (the "Montreal" lettering on the Vladimir Guerrero jersey is too small).

4) M&N wants to make casual wear; virtually none of the NBA jerseys they make have a +1 or +2 tail length, and none of the football jerseys they make come with the straps that tie down the jersey underneath the pants. Fight straps for hockey, yes. But you won't see a Basil McRae jersey with velcro-detachable sleeves.

M&N has had many quality issues in recent years, since they started outsourcing production of their jerseys to Korea. When they were all made in the USA, quality was much better and even the current jerseys made anywhere but Korea are pretty good.

The Montreal Guerrero jersey is just one of many fiascos they have had in the last year.

If you want to read a complete description of what has been going on, check out this thread at NextLevelTalk.com It is a very comprehensive discussion by many who are in the know.

http://nextleveltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2710

3) You don't want to make them completely identical, or else you would have memorabilia dealers buying jerseys from M&N and doctoring them to make them appear game-worn.

Excellent point. I bet this is the overriding idea behind any tweaks.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

That stinks like conspiracy theory. What does M&N care if people are doctoring their jerseys to appear game-worn? At least they would be selling them. I'll bet they're just too lazy to make truly authentic reproductions, mindful that the 99.9% of the public that doesn't know the difference between arched and vertical arched lettering won't care.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

That stinks like conspiracy theory. What does M&N care if people are doctoring their jerseys to appear game-worn? At least they would be selling them. I'll bet they're just too lazy to make truly authentic reproductions, mindful that the 99.9% of the public that doesn't know the difference between arched and vertical arched lettering won't care.

Bingo. It is laziness and lousy QC, which has gotten much worse in the past 2 years. They used to do a great job, but as they have outsourced overseas, the quality has nosedived.

They changed their business model due to hip hop and they evidently figured that these guys who like wearing shirts that fit like dresses would become their major market. Look at the number of size 56 and 60 jerseys that they make. They never used to make those sizes.

I agree with the changes on the jersey sizing, it's kind of frustrating. Reebok did that with their NBA jerseys, adding +2 inches to a lot of the jerseys, which doesn't really help a guy like me who's 6 feet and has no interest in wearing a size 4XL jersey/dress. I know that most jerseys have the +2, but it does feel a bit long at times - I usually wear a large, but have moved down to a medium in the NBA jerseys to accomodate for the extra length. I don't know if adidas will still be doing the +2 length, but I'm sure we'll see fairly soon.

I do like the M&N stuff though, I've always thought about picking up this Carlton Fisk jersey, but never pulled the trigger.

pMLB1-1337769reg.jpg

M&N sells some of their jerseys in a size 70. If you're wearing that and it actually fits, chances are you can't leave the bed under your own power and you wash yourself with a rag on a stick.

Can't blame 'em, though. Gotta go where the money is...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I have a M&N Team Canada Summit Series jersey. From what I've seen it's about as accurate as it can get. It came blank so they didn't have to woory about getting the right numbers, I guess.

Archived