New hampshire minor-league baseball "final 5"...

Brian in Boston

Well... this is what's wrong with "Name the Team" contests.

After attempting to calm the angry hordes that were incensed over the club's unilateral selection of New Hampshire Primaries as a team name, New Hampshire Baseball has five finalists vying for the "honor". The names are the result of a long, drawn-out, three-tiered voting process that you would have thought might just produce at least a couple of "winning" suggestions. Your five finalists are...

Granite State Mountain Men

Manchester Millers

New Hampshire Fisher Cats

New Hampshire Granites

New Hampshire Primaries

I think that deserves a round of "mehs" from the audience, don't you?

Fans were asked to "consider the entire marketing package that needs to be developed surrounding their suggestions", i.e. mascots, team colors, slogans, ability to develop a "fun" marketing strategy, educational benefit to youth (?) and the name's ability to generate an interest truly unique to the New Hampshire region. Yet, those voting were given no means by which to communicate anything but a name suggestion to team management. So... we can assume that the group of "geniuses" who so badly misread potential fan response to the original New Hampshire Primaries identity will now be responsible for just guessing what the folks behind suggestions like "Fisher Cats" and "Granite" had in mind for mascots, team colors, slogans, "fun" marketing strategies, youth education benefits, etc. This ought to be "good"... in a twisted, "bad" sort of way.

Who wants to bet that it's either New Hampshire Primaries or Manchester Millers when all is said and done?

Brian in Boston

It's obvious what they are doing here, putting crappy names in there so people will go "Well i guess Primaries isn't so bad after all". I hate this a lot, just stick with the friggin name, they'll either change it in 3 years or re-locate. It's not that bad of a name, they could be called the "DAZZLE"........sorry :P

Mountain Men? It would make sense in Manchester was way up north in the mountains. Manchester is still Southern New Hampshire, where the biggest thing going is tax-free shopping. That would be like calling a team in Mass the Springfield Lobstermen or Fishermen, even though it's like 100 miles from the ocean.

Millers isn't that bad...imagine if the Millers are sponsored by Budweiser, whose plant is about 5 miles south on the river.

Fisher Cats? What the hell is that?

Granites? Only use Granite State, then a nickname, not "Granites". I know of a tea that was the Granite State Rebels, that worked pretty good.

Primaries? We all know how that one went.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

in the pre-Twins days, Minneapolis' minor league team was traditionally the Millers...my money's on Millers, even though I'd still choose Primaries if i had a vote.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

They should be the Manchester Sheep... then as a mascot they can have the Man "Ewe"...lol *hides from people thowing eggs and tomatos for such a bad joke*.... sorry it had to be said  :D

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Ez Street... you hit the nail on the head. At least to my eyes (and yours), this is a none-too-subtle attempt to "force" the vote to go the way team management would like. It's similar to the Seattle Seahawks' claim that they would let their fans decide whether the Seahawk Blue or Silver helmets should be worn with the new uniforms. Anyone with an ounce of taste could see that the Silver helmets "stuck out like a sore thumb" when combined with a uniform that didn't have a stitch of silver in it. So most of us voted for the Seahawk Blue... which is what management wanted from the beginning.

Still, if they're really pulling for Primaries, this could come back to bite New Hampshire Baseball management in the arse-end. I truly believe that given the five finalists, Manchester Millers is going to receive a huge amount of support... if only from the Manchester residents who feel that Manchester should be the place name. In addition, Millers is a traditional Manchester minor-league name.

It's just sad that so many fine name suggestions were given such short shrift. When you logged on to make a suggestion, you were allowed to see the names that had been suggested thus far. There were some truly well-thought out, clever and/or unique names on there: New Hampshire Challengers (a tribute to New Hampshire resident and teacher Christa McAuliffe), New Hampshire NorthStars (a tribute to McAuliffe and New Hampshire native and astronaut Alan B. Shepard), Manchester Phenoms (named for John "Phenomenal" Smith, the manager who signed Christy Matthewson to his first pro contract and later managed Manchester's entry in the New England League; upon retirement, he became a Manchester policeman), Manchester Mill Kings (a nice tie-in with both Manchester's history as a textile center and it's nickname "The Queen City"), Granite State Growl (I'm assuming a reference to New Hampshire's abundant wildlife), Manchester Mighty Moose and New Hampshire Super Newts (a couple for the kids).

Either the folks in New Hampshire have questionable taste, or this thing was/is rigged.

Brian in Boston

Archived