All-American Football League

WideRight

I am sure most folks here have heard that there is a new Spring league starting up, and aiming to basically be an alumni league of major NCAA programs. The AAFL has already announced a team @ Purdue's stadium, and are expected to add Birmingham, Knoxville, Raleigh, Gainesville and at least 3 more sites, mostly from the ACC, SEC and Big Ten (Why they are dissing the Big 12 I don't know, it is prime NCAA country.) The concept sounds interesting: tie into regional NCAA fan base by focusing on alumni from major programs. But I have some questions regarding team identity I would love to hear feedback on:

1. Do you think it would be better for each AAFL team to try to imitate the style

and/or colors of only 1 NCAA program or to merge several regional programs.

For example, the Indiana team wears black & Gold, or do you mix Purdue

black with Indiana red and Notre Dame gold?

2. Would you try to create identities/nicknames similar to NCAA teams or go

completely different? Example: Florida Crocs or Florida Flyers (one clearly

closer to UF than the other).

I think I lean towards some borrowing of combined team colors (Tennesee orange with So. Carolina Red or UNC Blue) to draw fans in from different areas, but I would probably shoot for new names. Any name that favors 1 set of alumni (Alabama fans) might hurt popularity with another (Auburn fans)

What do you guys think? And while we are at it, where would you put the remaining 3 teams. My vote would be Baton Rouge, Columbus and either Norman or Lincoln. Then I would expand to add Austin, Detroit area, UConn's stadium, and either Atlanta (GaTech) or Little Rock.

1. The league has no chance of making it. Paying ea. player $100,000? They'll run out of money the first year.

2) The color concept: been done to death already. Birmingham Fire (WLAF): Auburn navy, Alabama crimson. What are you going to do with a team in Talahassee? Use FAMU and FL State colors? Orange, Green, Maroon and Gold? won't work.

Geeze does that mean we get a team for Columbia University and Rutgers to play in the Meadowlands?

1. The league has no chance of making it. Paying ea. player $100,000? They'll run out of money the first year.

2) The color concept: been done to death already. Birmingham Fire (WLAF): Auburn navy, Alabama crimson. What are you going to do with a team in Talahassee? Use FAMU and FL State colors? Orange, Green, Maroon and Gold? won't work.

Geeze does that mean we get a team for Columbia University and Rutgers to play in the Meadowlands?

The teams don't pay the players the league does. That is what I am told so that might work. I fu get enough deep pockets it could work.

1. I don't think they are saying that each player will get $100,000, that will be the

average salary, so expect a few players to hit $200-300k and most linemen

to get significantly under $100k.

2. I think it could work if they pick the right cities. I don't think Purdue was

a great start. I don't think they will be able to get enough people from

Indy or Chicago to drive out. Columbus or Detroit would make more sense

from the Big 10. I also think they need to consider Big 12 as well, since those

are NCAA cities with little or no NFL presence (Austin, OK, Nebraska)

3. I don't think you take all the colors, for example the Tallahassee (FSU)

team might opt to borrow Garnet from FSU, but take Black from UGA

and a third non-NCAA color like silver. The Purdue team could use

Black-Gold and add a third like a Columbia Blue or ND Green. Birmingham

could use hints of Auburn Orange and Bama Crimson but have a dominant

color like black or a Pewter (Go TB Bucs style).

I think the key to this league surviving is keeping prices reasonable, getting a TV market (even if they play on TV for free, exposure is key) and working the alumni

angle. I still think the USFL could have lasted if Trump had not pushed them for direct competition with the NFL.

• 3 months later...

I remember hearing about this league on these very boards. Ah...the memories. I do like the concept for this league, and it will be interesting to see how it fares. To answer the team identity package question, I think the team should have an independent package. Teams aren't directly tied to the college programs, so there isn't much reason to make them "exclusive."

On a separate note, the AAFL will provide a "true" collegiate football champion! :P

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Archived