Mlb hat colors

logos are cool

I agree. I never understood why nobody uses Washington Wizards/Capitals Blue. Its lighter but its not Baby blue.

According to my research, the only baseball team that uses that color is the Aberdeen IronBirds of the New York-Penn League.

Other teams that use it are the Asheville Altitude (NBDL), the Colorado Avalanche (NHL), the Kootenay Ice (Western Hockey League), the Macon Knights (af2), the Minnesota Lynx (WNBA), the Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA), the Mississippi Sea Wolves (ECHL), and the aforementioned Washington Capitals, Mystics and Wizards.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. I never understood why nobody uses Washington Wizards/Capitals Blue. Its lighter but its not Baby blue.

According to my research, the only baseball team that uses that color is the Aberdeen IronBirds of the New York-Penn League.

I got to see the Ironbirds play and they have some sharp jerseys.  Especially the hat I almost bought one for myself I liked it so much.

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd truly LOVE to see some team, or ANY team break out some white/off-white colored hats.  If you go back and look at some of the old White Sox caps from the early 1900's, they look really good.  I think the Dodgers tried breaking out a white cap a few years ago as well as the Mets I believe, but I don't think they ever cracked the regular rotation.  I think the off white cap would work great for a team like the giants if they kept the bill black.  

Either way, it's just a thought.  I know this wouldn't do much towards adding more color to the caps worn throughout MLB, but it's still just a thought.  What do you all think?

Don't forget ... in addition to the variety of colors, the number of styles increases because you can have either matching or contrasting brims and/or buttons.

I always liked the way the Orioles cap looked -- black with orange brim and button.

Perhaps if someone wanted to chart the combinations of crown, brim and button colors, you would find even less commonality that you thought.

By the way, I hope they never go back to the two-tone crowns that were popular in the '70s. Actually, the problem with those is that no one really explored the color possibilities. In almost every case, the front two panels of the crown were white.

(Exceptions: the Brewers and Padres had yellow/gold front panels, which helped. The Orioles tried for a while orange front panels, but that didn't work, even though orange brims do work. And of course, we all remember the Expos' pinwheel beanies.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I just skimmed this topic, and yes some more original color schemes would be nice, but it's hard to keep things looking nice.

Also, Pantone, the Cards road and bp is indeed dark blue (I trust your exact descriptions), but their alt Sunday cap (same design as bp) is probably also there, and you didn't even list it.

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd truly LOVE to see some team, or ANY team break out some white/off-white colored hats. If you go back and look at some of the old White Sox caps from the early 1900's, they look really good.

EXACTLY what i've thought for months, some of those old chisox and yankees white caps would really be sharp, as long as they kept them low-cut, not big and baggy. Those black jerseys they wore with the white caps looked great, too (in their time, at least)

A little off topic, but i'd love to see some team use a nice maroon cap, almost brown, like st. louis used.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

.... i'm also not sure about KC wearing blue anymore, I think they wear black caps full-time now.

Chris, I live in KC and the Royals only wear those blacks on the road

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hey dudes!

All you always are talking about plain colored caps.

Did anyone remember those nice pinstriped caps...? Like this one of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Or those of the very old Highlanders (today the Yankees).

The old Los Angeles Angels (later California & Anaheim) had a very, very nice cap which have an aura.

As far as the pinstripe caps go, I always thought those looked great too... especially the old Brooklyn Dodgers.  If D.C. ever does get the Expos, or any other team, I'd like to see them go back with that pinstripe look.

I think the Cardinals would have a cool look if they had some white caps, with a red bill, button and stripes on the seams (like that Washington cap pictured).

Stripes on the hats CAN work, like the afore mentioned Nats cap, but it can get dangerous. Pittsburgh must NOT be trusted to create caps ever again. Their lisence has been suspended.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Stripes on the hats CAN work, like the afore mentioned Nats cap, but it can get dangerous. Pittsburgh must NOT be trusted to create caps ever again. Their lisence has been suspended.

Actually, Pittsburgh is off the hook for their "bandbox" hat.  Those hats were actually concepted by someone in the National League office back in 1975 in anticipation of the 1976 season.  Several NL teams wore that style in 1976 but went back to their regular lids in 77.  The Pirates organization liked the hat and felt it fit in with the 18th century theme of their logo at the time so they kept the caps until 1987.  Now, if they'd only bring back the gold caps for home games they'd be perfect.

Well, at least from a uniform perspective.

In 1995, to go along with a new uniform look, the Orioles added two caps: a gray with black bill for the road jerseys, and a black with orange bill for the alternate jerseys. Brady Anderson was quoted as saying the road caps looked good on their own, but when worn by a group made the team look like a bunch of railroad engineers.

For whatever reason, the alt cap wound up being worn as a BP cap in 1995. It finally showed up as a gamer in '96, and now, with a slightly different bird, is used as the home hat. The all black "game" hat is now the Orioles road cap.

There was a rumor that they were going to go to an orange BP cap with the new orange BP jerseys, but it didn't happen.

Archived