Little League World Series Thread

Gamingboy

Everybody has to love the LLWS. It is a reminder of a simpler time...............

Controversy has hit the Youth Baseball scene recently, but I'm sure the Little League World Series will once again be fun and entertaining:

Today's games:

Portsmouth NH vs. Beaverton, OH 4:00 PM, ESPN 2

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada vs. Dhahran, Saudi Arabia 6:00 PM, ESPN2

Canada is the country that has had the most appearances in the LLWS without a title. The Dhahran team is a perennial contestant, although rarely a contender. It's team is made up of the children of oil workers, and most of them are American citizens.

Columbia, MO vs. Lake Charles, LA 8:00 PM, ESPN

Insert Witty Signature Here.

I don't mind the LLWS as a whole, but I think televising it, at least to the extent that it has been covered in the past couple of years, is a joke. Honestly, how many people watch it that doesn't include those with family involved, those in the region of the qualifying teams, or my friend's dad, who watches it only to relive his experience of nearly coaching his team to the event?

Outside of the X-Games, it's perhaps my most dreaded week of sports television in the whole year. We don't need games on both ESPNs, and we definitely don't need to see all of the qualifying games that take place for teams to receive berths like we did last week (I'll even go so far as to say that the walk-off home run last week that was voted the Top Play was a farce - especially when it was named so over Chipper Jones hitting three home runs). I can understand glorifying the championship, I'll give you that, but what else is there to watch for? Very few of these kids will make it to the pros and fewer will have an impact like a Jason Varitek or a Gary Sheffield.

Dear Mr. Thorne,

Please stop calling it a grand slam home run. There is no other kind of grand slam. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jarred

p.s. I'm so glad you don't do hockey anymore.

I could swear last year TSN showed all of Canada's games, as well as the championship game. I hope that's the case again.

Maybe they do, last year I was visiting my aunt and uncle in Connecticut so I had ESPN. The years before that only the final was available here.

1zqy8ok.gif

Anyone know the name of the region that Russia represented?  EMEA?

According to wikipedia, Eastern-Middle East-Africa

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

Teams from South Louisiana for 2 years in a row. Represent! :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Anyone know the name of the region that Russia represented?  EMEA?

According to wikipedia, Eastern-Middle East-Africa

That doesn't seem right. Saudi Arabia is in the Middle East, but they weren't representing the Middle East? Someone explain that to me. Then again, Saudi Arabia was in a region called the Transatlantic, so some regions are totally wacko.

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

My girlfriend's second cousin was the starting pitcher for D'Iberville, MS, the team that lost to Lake Charles, LA in the Southwest Regional championship game in Waco , TX. Again along the lines of fuzzy LLWS geography , I wonder why MS and LA are included in the Southwest and not the Southeast. Along with teams from MS and LA , Colorado was also placed in the Southwest Region. My best guess as to why these three states are included in the SW is that it has something to do with population disparity. Anyone else have any guesses ??

LibertyBowl.png

Archived