Defunct Rugby League Teams Project

Gazzzaf

After working on a template all of yesterday, I thought I might post a teaser for a new collection that I am working on. It covers Rugby League teams that are no longer playing first grade. I know the images are HUGE (I might even make a low res version later on) but I wanted to get a fair bit of detail in.

Primary

Secondary

C&C greatly appreciated.

Excellent Gaz. I seem to remember posting Western Reds and Illawarra Steelers concepts in the same vein years ago... its certainly great fun mocking them up for us RL fans :D

I like what you did with the Tigers, especially integrating the class look into a modern style, and nice alternate kit as well.

Great jerseys Gazzzaf and I really like this new template too. I think your last template was ok but the hesd and arms didn't go with it. imo Can not wait to see more of this collection and more of this template :D

Did or do you play Rugby? What position? I was a half back and sometimes a standoff. Can't play any more because of a bum ankle, but to me Rugby is the best game I have ever played. And that was for 18 years. Sorry off topic, keep up the good work, looking forward to more Rugby concepts.CHEERS

I never played Rugby but I have played Rugby League and AFL for short periods as a kid. I was usually a centre when playing League but played wing, fullback and hooker a few times.

I decided to take a rest from my other project and post a few more designs here. This time around it is Newtown. I've posted them as links because they look enormous even on my resolution (1280x960, I can't imagine what its like for those with 800x600 or less).

Primary

Secondary

After sporting some of the more interesting designs seen in the old NSWRL/ARL these Bears efforts are rather traditional Gaz, but I like them.

Now THIS is a thread right up my alley :)

In posting order:

Balmain: love the Primary. I really liked the simplicity of the old 60s era Tigers, and I don't think the piping has negatively affected the design. I absolutely ADORE the secondary (though white with yellow doesn't scream "tigers" to me, and really seems to be more appropriate for the Wests Tigers). Don't like the text on the socks though.

Newtown: I don't know, to tell you the truth. There's more than a little bit of Bulldogs in the concept, which I'm fine with, but would probably be impractical these days (of course, if I had my way, the Bulldogs would be in their horizontal 60s stripes full-time). On the secondary, there are four different tones of blue in a very small area: the NSWRL shield, the airport logo, the jersey blue and the Jets shield blue.

Bears: I like the striping on the primary; very traditional (especially with the collar). I don't like a single one of the sponsor logos, but I guess those are all out of your hands. I don't think the number font works particularly well with them. I think in this situation, where the primary sponsor uses a bear-head of their own, the front logo should just be the text to prevent the effect of doubling-up. The secondary reminds me a reasonable amount of the early-90s Panthers. Don't know about the break in the striping on the shoulders at the back, but overall, it's nice. I'm amazed by how little I remember of the real Bears' unis.

Wests: :D. I LOVE the Wests' jerseys. Simple, fearsome, traditional and yet incorporating the modern. It's a shame to have to incorporate the Masterton logo at all with its colour. I don't know about the white panels on the shorts with the primary though. I guess I'd have to see it in three dimensions to fully decide.

Lovely job on the template, too, man; I must say, I love your work. Cannot WAIT to see what you do with the Steelers (heh, call me biased), and also with the more interesting teams like the Seagulls (have fun with those colours, won't you?), Rams (so boring in actuality) and Reds (keeping the kangaroo logo would be a tough thing to choose to do; I do so hate that logo. For ages I thought it was trying to be the Toronto Raptors logo :P)

The break in the back of the Bears Secondary was a compromise because the sponsor was half on/half off the stripes and it looked really weird.

I've just posted the Chargers, its a little unconventional but similar to what I'd expect for a team with their colours. I'll probably get picked up on the Hummel and chevrons but its better incorporated into the design than having chevrons up and down the sleeves.

Gold Coast Chargers Primary

Gold Coast Chargers Secondary

The break in the back of the Bears Secondary was a compromise because the sponsor was half on/half off the stripes and it looked really weird.

I've just posted the Chargers, its a little unconventional but similar to what I'd expect for a team with their colours. I'll probably get picked up on the Hummel and chevrons but its better incorporated into the design than having chevrons up and down the sleeves.

Gold Coast Chargers Primary

Gold Coast Chargers Secondary

Amazingly enough, I like the Chargers uniform.

The chevron works well, actually (though part of me thinks that the top "V" should extend to the shoulders a bit.

You did well with the colours.

I'd be a little concerned that the Secondary looks a bit reminiscent of the Storm whites (which are, IMO, far and away the worst jerseys in the game), though.

I like what you did with the Steelers, but your choice of BHP Billiton as their sponsor doesn't make sense. They would be significantly more likely to use Bluescope Steel (Bluescope being the former BHP steel for all intents and purposes).

I don't know about the amount of white on the side panels, either. I can fully understand the use of the white stripes over the shoulders, but I think the side stripe is possibly too thick and overpowering for the Steelers.

Gosh it's weird seeing a Steelers jersey with colours on it (though I think you did it tactfully) :D, wrt the blue WIN logos and green ARL crest (I honestly don't remember the Steelers with anything other than the NSWRL crest, though assumedly they must have played under both the ARL and NRL shields).

The shoulder sponsor should be the Illawarra Mercury, though :P.

Chargers doesn't work for my sorry Gaz. The silver was an integral part of their colours in that teal green/purple scheme and it doesn't work so well without it. And the chevrons don't really appeal to me.

Illawarra was safe... would have liked the retro Steelers logo instead of the one they used their last few years.

I knew you weren't a fan of the chevrons jr, but I think that if an NRL team were to adopt them, it would be a tacky team like the Chargers (I don't mean to offend Chargers fans, if any).

I omitted silver from the colour scheme because it didn't pop with the jade and looked drab, particularly with the dark purple accent.

Regarding the Steelers, I realise the side panels on the primary are a bit intrusive so I'm considering ditching them and leaving them on the secondary only. I suppose I took a shortcut with the sponsors; I used BHP Billiton as the main sponsor in my last concept for the Steelers and I guessed it carried over. If I revise the designs then I will change up the sponsors.

Anyway, the main reason for this post is to unveil my Perth Reds designs. I tried to combine elements of both of their jerseys, utilising the panels design that featured in their original jersey albeit streamlined (as their second and last jersey was). I went against using Cash Converters as a major sponsor and instead aimed at giving all the sponsors a local feel.

Perth Reds Primary

Perth Reds Secondary

I like the Reds jerseys, though they really look very Rugby to me, designwise. How many traditional league uniforms use vertical lines, I wonder?

I have a traced version of the Illawarra Steelers' old Stanley Steeler logo if you would like it. Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived