best sound nicknames, worst sounding nicknames

garygorilla

Maybe this has been done before. I'm new here. Apparently there's a new team in the CBA

nicknamed the Atlanta Krunk Wolverines. What a mess of a nickname. There may be a worse sounding name in sports, but this has to be right up there. The two best sounding names in Sports to me are the Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccanneers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe this has been done before. I'm new here. Apparently there's a new team in the CBA

nicknamed the Atlanta Krunk Wolverines. What a mess of a nickname. There may be a worse sounding name in sports, but this has to be right up there. The two best sounding names in Sports to me are the Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccanneers.

Minor leagues are all full of weird nicknames. Just to run down a few of the ones that stick out the best in my mind: the LowGators of the NBDL (if they even still exists; wanna say they were based in Charleston--coudl be wrong); the Macon Whoopee (which apparently made it into TWO hockey minor leagues); the Bossier City Battle Wings of the AF2 (that nickname along with their logo is a nice package; for the longest they had the same color scheme as the Oakland Raiders); and then, one of my favorites (?)...from the NCAA: the Purdue Boilermakers.

And then there's those Banana Slugs of Cal-Riverside. (Or is is Berkley? It's Cal-something--can't remember right off-hand; somebody correct me.)

But this might be the ultimate in, uh, "wild": there's a mens' softball league here in the Allegheny County area in which one team has named itself the--you ready for this--"Mooseknuckles".

Yeah...how about THAT?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's the Cal-Santa Barbara Banana Slugs.

O for 2. It's UC-Santa Cruz.

UC Santa Cruz Website

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Maybe this has been done before.  I'm new here.  Apparently there's a new team in the CBA

nicknamed the Atlanta Krunk Wolverines.  What a mess of a nickname. There may be a worse sounding name in sports, but this has to be right up there.  The two best sounding names in Sports to me are the Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccanneers.

Minor leagues are all full of weird nicknames. Just to run down a few of the ones that stick out the best in my mind: the LowGators of the NBDL (if they even still exists; wanna say they were based in Charleston--coudl be wrong); the Macon Whoopee (which apparently made it into TWO hockey minor leagues); the Bossier City Battle Wings of the AF2 (that nickname along with their logo is a nice package; for the longest they had the same color scheme as the Oakland Raiders); and then, one of my favorites (?)...from the NCAA: the Purdue Boilermakers.

And then there's those Banana Slugs of Cal-Riverside. (Or is is Berkley? It's Cal-something--can't remember right off-hand; somebody correct me.)

But this might be the ultimate in, uh, "wild": there's a mens' softball league here in the Allegheny County area in which one team has named itself the--you ready for this--"Mooseknuckles".

Yeah...how about THAT?

Mooseknuckle is slang for Camel Toe.

Well, I don't like any of the "it" words. Some sound ok, but I don't like Heat, Magic, Thunder, Lightning. I like concrete things like Bears, Lions, etc.

I would say Minor league hockey or baseball is where you can find the dumbest names.

KISSwall09.jpg

Yeah...how about THAT?

Well, I don't like any of the "it" words. Some sound ok, but I don't like Heat, Magic, Thunder, Lightning. I like concrete things like Bears, Lions, etc.

I would say Minor league hockey or baseball is where you can find the dumbest names.

Yeah--I know. Which is why I'd like to know why this group of manly men pretty much decided to let themselves be known as "pussies".

Well, one of their "stars" works in the FA dept at my school, and I drill him about it all the time. Tell you one thing, though: their games draw some CROWDS...if for no better reason than to find out WHO IN THE WORLD WOULD REFER TO THEMSELVES AS "PUSSIES".

Getting off that...

I'm sorta kinda wit u on the "it" nicknames, if only for this reason: "former Indian (insert name) blase blah blah..." now compare that to this: "former HEAT...", or "former Lightning..." and then this: "former Red Sox"... (What would you call a former player of the Red/White Sox? Former sock?) :P

That said, yeah--some of the craziest nicknames can be found in minor league baseball and hockey. SoundTigers, anyone? How about (sorry Geoff Der Idiot) Ice Pilots? (Or Ice Gators for that matter...although I DID like "Lizard Kings" and "Kingfish"...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Obviously, a lot of minor-league teams in backwater towns (or tri-city areas, etc.) pick stupid names with a local geographical element hap-hazardly thrown in (MountainDawgz) or something.... But many of the worst-sounding nicknames to me are names that we've become used to because really-established franchises use them: Red Sox, White Sox, Maple Leafs, Browns.... The list goes on.

That said, yeah--some of the craziest nicknames can be found in minor league baseball and hockey. SoundTigers, anyone? How about (sorry Geoff Der Idiot) Ice Pilots? (Or Ice Gators for that matter...although I DID like "Lizard Kings" and "Kingfish"...)

That's IceGators, son. It does have a unique sound to it that doesn't sound totally professional, but doesn't sound cheesy either. They always had nice uniforms, and a logo that stood well for the decade they were here in Lafayette. Never was too much a fan of them, but the name and ID were pretty classy.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

One of the best Brampton Battalion

And the Battalion really pump up the theme with olive green uniforms, an arena nickname (The Bunker) and a last-minute-of-play announcement that goes: "One minute to cease-fire..."

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

heh, I stumbled upon a semipro team out east called the Clinton (Mass.) Irish Blizzard. Though I like the name meselfs, I kid you not, that's their name. Irish Blizzard. The story behind the name is that before the 2000 season, the Clinton Fighting Irish merged with the Maine Blizzard, and apparently they couldn't come up with a better name, hence Irish Blizzard.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Maybe this has been done before.  I'm new here.  Apparently there's a new team in the CBA

nicknamed the Atlanta Krunk Wolverines.  What a mess of a nickname. There may be a worse sounding name in sports, but this has to be right up there.  The two best sounding names in Sports to me are the Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccanneers.

Yeah...how about THAT?

Bears and lions are made of millions of tiny, complex cells that carry out the tasks needed to sustain life. They're not made out of concrete.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

One of the best Brampton Battalion

And the Battalion really pump up the theme with olive green uniforms, an arena nickname (The Bunker) and a last-minute-of-play announcement that goes: "One minute to cease-fire..."

I used to love that name and their uniforms until I played against a team that wore those uniforms, and I can honestly say that I became sick during the course of the game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bears and lions are made of millions of tiny, complex cells that carry out the tasks needed to sustain life. They're not made out of concrete.

OK smarty-pants... :)

http://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/concrete-noun.html

A concrete noun refers to objects and substances, including people and animals, that exist physically.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived