Invincible

oldschoolvikings

but it's the small details that add up and count.

couldn't agree more. It's the authenticity of movies like this that make us sports fan really appreciate it. When they make mistakes, like uniforms and players, it makes them seem like fools to the sports educated. It bothers me knowing that a studio such as Disney, the monopoly of the G-PG films, couldn't hire sports historians to get every detail down. And you'd have to wonder about Vermeil. He was on MNF yesterday talking about the movie, and said they did a terrific job bringing the whole story to the screen, and that he couldn't have asked for a more accurate depiction. That just left me saying "what?." Because he knows they left out the Bell, and the private calls and tryouts, and all that stuff. You'd have to think that sometime during the movie he would have raised his hand and said "um.. well he did play for the WFL, and I did call him for private workouts."

In the movie the Jamaican team loses because their sled overturns, and then they still pick up their sled and walk to the finish line with everyone cheering. Isn't that a great ending? It's not realistic either. In reality the team just didn't have a fast enough time.

ahhhh man... why you have to ruin it for me. Still'man its a great movie. (cool runnings)

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

The movie is inspired by a true story, not the real thing. If you want to be a stickler for every single detail, just watch old NFL films or read a guy's biography. I've never seen a sports movie that didn't have something wrong with it. Not to mention they have a small scene at what looks to be Pat's (King of Steaks) and they call it by a different name. Inaccurate - yes, a big deal - no.

I saw the movie yesterday and while it was pretty much your straight forward underdog triumph flick, it was still entertaining and a good story. The retro wardrobe and unis were cool to see as well (I missed that era in life).

And you'd have to wonder about Vermeil. He was on MNF yesterday talking about the movie, and said they did a terrific job bringing the whole story to the screen, and that he couldn't have asked for a more accurate depiction. That just left me saying "what?." Because he knows they left out the Bell, and the private calls and tryouts, and all that stuff. You'd have to think that sometime during the movie he would have raised his hand and said "um.. well he did play for the WFL, and I did call him for private workouts."

Well I'm pretty sure he was sticking to the NFL line. The NFL likes to think the WFL didn't exist even though they pulled a few ideas from them(including moving goalposts from goal line to the back of the end zone).

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

yo did ne1 c the lil flub in the movie, near the end of the moive Dick is talkin to one of the players b4 he sends him out, he had a gray sweatband on, well on the band was an upside down current eagles logo. dont know if its a flub or they had in there just for whatever reason

Care to translate that for those of us who never took remedial English?

And who is L'il Flub? Is that a rapper?

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

yo did ne1 c the lil flub in the movie, near the end of the moive Dick is talkin to one of the players b4 he sends him out, he had a gray sweatband on, well on the band was an upside down current eagles logo. dont know if its a flub or they had in there just for whatever reason

Care to translate that for those of us who never took remedial English?

And who is L'il Flub? Is that a rapper?

heh, not only do I translate Aussie to Yank english, I also do rEmEdEeO (remedial) to regular english too :D

yo, did anyone see the little flub in the movie?  near the end of the moive Dick is talkin to one of the players before he sends him out, he had a gray sweatband on.  well, on the band was an upside down current eagles logo. I don't know whether its a flub or if they just had it in there for whatever reason.

:hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Friday Night Lights was really inaccurate and having lived in the area during the 1988 season it ruined the entire movie for me...I just couldn't get past the seemingly needless changes like school names (Midland High School who lost the coin flip to Lee and Permian in real life becomes Marshall H.S. in the movie for some reason...kind of sucks if you went to or played for Midland) and how, where and who they lose to in the end.

But for anybody else I doubt it matters.

Back to the original post, I thought they did a good job with the uniforms. The Eagles uniforms looked perfect, including a '76 patch on their sleeves, the got the aforementioned red-white-blue stripe on the Cowboys helmet right, and the Giants seemed to be wearing the correct uniforms and helmet from 1976 -- even his girlfriend's Giants t-shirt matched.

Story embellishments aside, the uniforms seemed on the mark. I'm not an expert of that time period, but at least they didn't cop out and wear today's uniforms. They must have had a person on staff that was in charge of uniform accuracy, and he or she did a good job.

I wish the Eagles would pull out those unis as their alternates for this season in celebration of the movie. Anything to see the kelly green and silver again.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The movie is inspired by a true story, not the real thing. If you want to be a stickler for every single detail, just watch old NFL films or read a guy's biography. I've never seen a sports movie that didn't have something wrong with it. Not to mention they have a small scene at what looks to be Pat's (King of Steaks) and they call it by a different name. Inaccurate - yes, a big deal - no.

I saw the movie yesterday and while it was pretty much your straight forward underdog triumph flick, it was still entertaining and a good story. The retro wardrobe and unis were cool to see as well (I missed that era in life).

Couldn't disagree more. If it's not accurate, then don't use the actual names, logos, and so on. That's rewriting history. As someone posted, Friday Night Lights is a perfect example. Reading the book, all I could do was shake my head at how ridiculous the movie was in comparison to the truth.

Either tell the story as it happened or make up names and characters and tell the "Hollywood" version.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

OK, I will translate, because I noticed this too...

"There's a mistake near the end of the movie where Dick Vermeil (Greg Kinnear) is talking to one of the players before he sends him out on the field. The player had a gray sweatband on, but if you looked closely you could see the sweatband had the current Eagles logo on it upside down."

Seemed like an awful big mistake considering how accurate the uniforms were. I would bet that the actor probably wore it without getting approval...

One positive thing - the opening CG shot coming into the Vet from overhead was very cool.

Didn't like them showing Staubach jumping up and down with his arms up like Montana following a touchdown pass. Roger wasn't one to celebrate like that.

Also, the game at the end against the Giants is such crap. The Eagles won that game 20-7.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived