Boyhood heros

zer0dotcom

I got a nostagia hit after responding to the Madden topic, and thought I'd start something along these lines. Who did you idolize growing up? In a pro sports sence.

When I was growing up, I was a huge mark for Dave Stieb, the old Blue Jays Ace. If you care to check his stats, he's one of baseballs true unsung heros. He's come so close many times to a perfect game, to a no-hitter, and only found his mark once. I don't know what it was, I was just a huge fan of his. (my bro was a Tom Henke fan, pitchers must have been popular) Sadly, the one game during his comeback I was supposed to see, he was replaced, but he's still one of my hero's.

Of course, I root for Joe Sakic and Marc Savard in the NHL, I don't have my basbeall heros left.... Sakic's a guy I followed since '92, Savard I followed since his days as a General. Keep your eyes on him, he's going to be great this season.

well considering that i am only 15, I think that my lil kid hero was Mark Lemke or Sid Bream when i was really little... can u tell i was raised in a Brave family

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Hockey i started out with favourite players of Gary Leeman, and Vincent Damphousse, as they left the Leafs I became a Gilmour  and Domi fan.   Growing tired of just rooting for hometown players, I went ahead and started following Paul Coffey, and Zigmund Palffy.  After Coffey retired I replaced him with Andy Delmore, who's not appearing on the radar anymore in Buffalo.

In baseball, I loved Jose Canseco, right from the first game I ever scored (Game 1, 1989 World Series) until his final game.  I am quite tired of his act now, but as a kid watching baseball Jose was the man.  I started following Fernando Tatis in 1998, he impressed me as a thirdbaseman with the Rangers... now he's more like Fatis rather than Tatis, such a shame, I could've have Canseco and Tatis on my favourite NL club in 2002 but it wasn't to be.

Basketball.... Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter were my original boys, they went to Houston, and I went to Reggie Miller until the Raptors came to town.  Damon Stoudamire -> Vince Carter/Jerome Williams/Morris Peterson

Football... well at first it was Rocket Ismail, but that faded fast before I set sights on Jim Kelly, and eventually Doug Flutie in the mid 90s.

So for those keeping score, my original favourite players:

NHL: Gary Leeman

MLB: Jose Canseco

NBA: Clyde Drexler

NFL: Jim Kelly

And today:

NHL: Paul Coffey, and Ziggy Palffy

MLB: All 40 Blue Jays

NBA: Sgt Carter/JYD/Mo-Pete

NFL: Doug Flutie

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

While growing up.

MLB: Rusty Staub, Keith Hernandez, Howard Johnson, Gary Carter, and David Cone

NFL: A.J. Duhe, Dan Marino, Mark "Super" Duper, Mark Clayton, and Steve Largent

NBA: Danny Ainge, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Charles Barkley

NHL: Brian Leetch, Adam Graves, Mark Messier, Mike Richter and John Vanbiesbrouck

Currently

MLB: Mike Piazza, and John Franco

NFL: Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Jon Lynch, and Mike Alstott

NBA: Jason Kidd, Karl Malone, and Brian Sacalabrini

NHL: Leetch, Messier, Scott Stevens and Martin Brodeur.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I am going to show my age on this one;

growing up my favorite comic book was Sgt Rock!

He was my hero.  One of many!

I'd have to say Roger Staubach_Dallas Cowboys, Randy White_Dallas Cowboys, Fred Patek_KC Royals, George Brett_KC Royals, Guy Lafluer_Montreal, Rob Ramage (blue liner) for the Colorado Rockies.  Ramage would knock the living H*LL out of people!  Larry Bird & Magic Johnson; probably the only time I was ever interested in the NBA.

On a more modern note:  Martin Brodeur & Scott Stevens top a list of 20+ NHLers, Mike Sweeney & Joe Randa of the Royals.

No one jumps out from the NFL - I hate the NBA so that's about it!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

For a few years, Egon Spengler.

For a few after that, Raphael.

For a few after that, Joe Carter.

Now...I suppose Mega Man X.  He's cool.  Who wouldn't want to be him?  Or Zero?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

when i was younger:

Doug Williams

Mike Singletary

MJ

Reggie White

Da Fridge

Jim McMahon

Walter Payton

Neal Anderson

nowadays:

Patrick Roy

Anson Carter

Mike Grier

Steve McNair

Drew Bledsoe

Brett Favre

Adrian Peterson

Ray Allen

Sammy Sosa

Kerry Wood

Moses Moreno (yeah, i said it.  i still believe he coulda been good had the Bears stuck with him)

and of course He Hate Me

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

football:  Dave Logan-Browns,  Greg Pruitt-Browns, Dwight Clark-49ers, Joe Montana-ND & 49ers.

Baseball:  Duane Kuiper-Indians, Ozzie Smith-Cardinals, Willie McGee-Cardinals

All though I played basketball into the college level..I never had a favorite player..I still don't like the NBA, unless I go to a Bulls game for free.  And I didn't get into Hockey until after the Pens had won their Cups back in the early 90s.

Well being in Britain I don't recall hero worshipping any US sports stars really, But if I was gonna name any I guess Elway and Larry Bird.

I could name a long list of English soccer and cricket players. Kevin Keegan, Matt Le Tissier, Alan Shearer, Robin Smith, Graham Thorpe (any of these names mean anything to anyone!!)

Actually my first sporting hero was a scottish Rugby player called Andy Irvine.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived