Watch this trophy

NJTank

Last week when I went to Shea for the reunion of the 1986 Mets I got a chance to look after their trophy for a while.

metrophy.jpg

What a photo op. I have one with me like that at Key Arena when the Stanley Cup came through.

Nice work. :D

In a word: AWESOME!

It's gotta be just a great feeling to sit with a World Championship trophy won by your favorite team.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

*yawn* Mind taking the squabbling elsewhere?

Anyway, that is super-cool. I got to check out the Stanley Cup when it was in Lafayette. Unfortunately, I didn't get to sit next to it like you got to do. </Green-eyed Monster>

BTW, do they do something like this with the 1969 Mets? At least from looking at it in a vacuum, the Miracle Mets should have a bigger place in Mets fans' hearts, but I guess the personality of the 1986 Mets beats them out?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Well they store both trophys in the Hall of Fame room at Shea Stadium, but it was a special night honoring the 1986 Mets 20th Anniversary. The Mets have honored the 1969 Mets before, but this is the first time they did thise with the taking pictures, but the fan photos thing is a new feature period I never saw them do it before this year, apparently its a new thing many stadiums do.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well they store both trophys in the Hall of Fame room at Shea Stadium, but it was a special night honoring the 1986 Mets 20th Anniversary. The Mets have honored the 1969 Mets before, but this is the first time they did thise with the taking pictures, but the fan photos thing is a new feature period I never saw them do it before this year, apparently its a new thing many stadiums do.

Most excellent! However, I find the background appalling. I think this would be apt... ^_^

Billbuckner.jpg

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I've gotta agree, the background is awful. They should've just put a blue curtain over it or something.

That's really cool though. I got my picture taken with the Stanley Cup a few years ago(when Tampa won, Hershey was their AHL team at that time). I also actually got to see the Calder Cup last week. The Hershey Bears were at the Lancaster Barnstormers game.

Question- What is engraved on the WS Trophy...just the team name and 'World Series Champions'?

Also, were the players there...Lenny, Mookie, Hernandez, Doc, Ojeda, Orosco(the MAN in RBI Baseball, btw), Carter, HoJo, Strawberry(he's not in jail, is he?)?

Also, were the players there...Lenny, Mookie, Hernandez, Doc, Ojeda, Orosco(the MAN in RBI Baseball, btw), Carter, HoJo, Strawberry(he's not in jail, is he?)?

Keith Hernandez is a current Mets Television Announcer so he is there all the time.

Everybody who was on the World Series Roster was there except:

Roger McDowell Current Braves Pitching Coach

Lee Mazzilli Current Yankees Bench Coach

Ray Knight Had a paying gig somewhere else :cursing:

Dwight Gooden Is Incarcerated

also not there

Manager Davey Johnson who is coaching Team USA

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Keith Hernandez is a current Mets Television Announcer so he is there all the time.

Everybody who was on the World Series Roster was there except:

Roger McDowell Current Braves Pitching Coach

Lee Mazzilli Current Yankees Bench Coach

Ray Knight Had a paying gig somewhere else :cursing:

Dwight Gooden Is Incarcerated

also not there

Manager Davey Johnson who is coaching Team USA

Riiight. I forgot Doc was in the slammer. I'd love to meet Dykstra(I was a Phillies fan back in the day, before I knew the hometown teams were a waste of time).

Well I have met Dykstra on a previous occasion I hated when the Mets traded him.

Here are some pics of the ceremony

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cyberclopedi...m/ph//my_photos

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

See most fans remember the stars like Darryl, Sid, Bob, Hojo, Lenny, etc. I tend to remember the "other" guys like Hearns, Hurdle, Mitchell, Santana, etc. It's cool remembering them. Not the best human beings but pretty decent ballplayers.

The thing I find funny for Hurdle, now the Rockies coach, is that he was traded in 85 to the cards, and missed the world series. Then he was traded back to the mets in 87, which means he was gone the year they won. And recently when the rockies were at Shea, the 86 team was there, and hurdle was watching the ceremonies from the dugout. You know he had to have been thinking that if he hadn't been gone for a year, he'd have a ring, and be on the field with guys in the retros for the ceremony. But it would be kinda weird to see a manager in the opposing teams uniform, since the mets were also going throwback that day. Hurdle is the unluckiest man in baseball IMO.

Also on the 86 Mets but not on the postseason roster was current Jays Manager John Gibbons, who was called up when Gary Carter went on the DL in August and stayed up through September.

Gibons made one paly 20 years ago today infact where the game was in extra innings in San Diego the Mets had a one run lead when Tim Flannery drove one to the gap with Garry Templeton on base and 1 out. Templeton tried to score by running over Gibbons but a good throw from Dykstra, and Gibbons held on to the ball and Templeton was out at home, then Flannery tried to sneak into 3rd but Gibbons got up and threw to 3rd and Flannery was out for the games final out.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

cool. I got to pose with the Stanley Cup back when the pens where in the conference championships in '01. I got the chance to touch it, but I didnt, dont ask me why. Now Ive sorta made it a goal to see it again.

oBIgzrL.png

I have an autographed polaroid of me and Johnny Damon from 1996 posing next to the Royals 85 trophy...it makes me sad everytime I see it. If I get a chance I may scan and post it. Ahh, the days of the late 90's...Damon, Beltran, Sweeney, Dye, Randa and absolutely positively NO PITCHING what so ever. :cry:

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Archived