LA Condors

random_ax

IMO, condors is just asking for an all-black jersey disaster in Southern California (aka Baltimore Ravens Part II).....

However, I would have to say that I am on the California Stars bandwagon. I think that the name really goes with the area, and that it could provide the best color scheme (blue/gold or red/silver)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel that LA shouldn't have a football team, for three reasons:

1. They're going to come up with some sad name that's going to make me laugh everytime someone says it. Gladiators? Arena written all over it. Condors? Come on. This is the city that used to house both the Raiders and the Rams. No offense, but you gotta do better than that, or no team at all.

2. I don't like the area around Memorial Coliseum at all. Firstly, because it's USC territory, and coming from a UCLA family and being a Cal guy, I have no desire to tread on USC territory...unless it was to make fun of the Trojans and cheer on my Golden Bears. Secondly, the surrounding area isn't exactly the nicest neighborhood in LA. I'd be more willing to make a farther trip to Pasadena and see a pro team at the Rose Bowl instead just for the better neighborhood alone.

3. Traffic is already unbearable on the 405 and the 10, especially when the two intersect. And Memorial Coliseum is right off the 10. The last thing I want to do on my Sunday is get back on that :cursing: freeway AGAIN, and I'm sure a lot of Los Angelinos will agree with me.

And this is all why I moved up to Berkeley! GO GOLDEN BEARS!

Let me add to that,

4. We have a very large Raider fan base here.

5. USC and UCLA

6. Too many other sports going on year round which includes NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA and MLS and all these leagues have multiple teams.

7. LA Condors name SUCKS!

Nobody here will support the NFL in LA and this is coming from an Angelino :D

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

3. Traffic is already unbearable on the 405 and the 10, especially when the two intersect. And Memorial Coliseum is right off the 10.

Off topic: Why do Californians refer to their highways with the word "the" in front of the number? "The 405." "The 10."

Do people in other places do this as well? This practice seems odd and unnecessary.

3 Reasons LA needs its football back

1. USC, the city already has a proud college football tradition so how hard is it to have even one pro team? Just think, many of USC's football players would love the chance to play at home. Souther California has the best prep players in the country and to play pro ball they will have to go elsewhere.

2. The Raiders, we really need to do away with all this Raider talk in LA. Besides the gang affiliation it has, the Raiders were only here in LA at Al Davis's personal whim and they were even her for 20 years. How does this team have so many fans after they stabbed LA in the back in the 90s?

3. Location, Location, Location, hey Los Angeles has 3.5 million people. LA county has 10 million people. Orange county also has a sizable population that supported its own team in the Rams. Comon, even if some Angelenos dont care if theres a football team here, you can't argue with the shear numbers put forth. LA has the butts for the seats.

(PS adding "the" before a freeway name has been LA tradition. I know other parts of the country say "I-whatever" but most of our freeways do not go into other states, thus they arent truly "interstates" THE 605 and the 710 are two extremely short freeways east of Los Angeles that dont even go a third of the length of LA county, BUT they do carry the interstate designation (the blue and red shield) So saying "the" before our freeways is basically our thing. Just like making movies or eatin sushi. )

(PS adding "the" before a freeway name has been LA tradition. I know other parts of the country say "I-whatever" but most of our freeways do not go into other states, thus they arent truly "interstates" THE 605 and the 710 are two extremely short freeways east of Los Angeles that dont even go a third of the length of LA county, BUT they do carry the interstate designation (the blue and red shield) So saying "the" before our freeways is basically our thing. Just like making movies or eatin sushi. )

Taking us farther off topic... Most 3-digit interstate highways are either loops (beginning with even numbers) or spurs (beginning with odd numbers), and thus don't go into other states, even out here in tiny little Massachusetts. The red and blue shield, as well as the "I-" designation, refers to the highways being part of the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System. The only thing it means is that they receive federal funding and comply with federal standards. For instance, Hawaii has "interstate" highways, even though obviously they can't connect anywhere.

My theory is that Californians say "the" to feed an inflated sense of self-importance.

(kidding!)

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I like either Dons or Bulldogs. Since most east of the Mississippi think there is no "history" in LA, would be nice to actually pull from a historical name for the team. Since both were used at one time, either would work. Although those in Cleveland may think they have a trademark on the Bulldog moniker.

I would love the condor name, but I know that calling them the california condors wouldn't fly around here. Los Angeles has name prestige all its own and represents a seperate community from the rest of california. Sure the Angels had that name for awhile but did they really do anything? It wasnt until they became the Anaheim Angels that they won their world series. In addition, California has A ton of sports teams, putting California before the team name is downright confusing. And, yes Dons would be a good name too, if we didnt have all these local high schools going by that name. And whitedawg... wat is this "Loop" you speak of? What kind of busch league freeway just circles a city? Comon, out here our freeways bob and weave like Barry Sanders. Only true angelenos can successful navigate the complexity of the SoCal freeway.

When the 101 and the 405 are really congested (all the time), I like to drive on the side of the freeway and pass people by hopping on and off the off-ramps..... It's hard to explain, nevermind.

Maybe the team name should be called the LA Traffickers. It would have a double-meaning.

:censored: Georgia Frontierre.

I have.

It was like having sex with a condor.

But seriously, let's face it - the NFL is returning to LA, likely through expansion. The NFL has already made the commitment to LA and has indicated that they'll move forward once a viable plan for a permanent stadium is in place. While LA gets its stadium situation in order, it wouldn't surprise me if the league is unofficially putting feelers out to find three more strong expansion markets and then announcing a four team expansion.

From what's been discussed here before, the name Diablos seems to have some traction given the hook it could have with the substantial Latino population in the area. I doubt Dons is going to fly as it could be seen as offensive to Italian Americans.

But seriously, let's face it - the NFL is returning to LA, likely through expansion. The NFL has already made the commitment to LA and has indicated that they'll move forward once a viable plan for a permanent stadium is in place. While LA gets its stadium situation in order, it wouldn't surprise me if the league is unofficially putting feelers out to find three more strong expansion markets and then announcing a four team expansion.

Four new teams? No way.

There is only one potential expansion site - Los Angeles. There aren't any others worth talking about.

The only way LA's getting a team is through relocation.

But seriously, let's face it - the NFL is returning to LA, likely through expansion.  The NFL has already made the commitment to LA and has indicated that they'll move forward once a viable plan for a permanent stadium is in place.  While LA gets its stadium situation in order, it wouldn't surprise me if the league is unofficially putting feelers out to find three more strong expansion markets and then announcing a four team expansion.

Four new teams? No way.

There is only one potential expansion site - Los Angeles. There aren't any others worth talking about.

The only way LA's getting a team is through relocation.

There are not 4 markets in the US that could support a expansion franchise. LA, San Antonio, and possibly Vegas could support a team but the NFL wil probably never go to Vegas with the gambling. So I think only 2 markets in the US could support a franchise. But they could go to Toronto, or Mexico City.

saBS.png

There are not 4 markets in the US that could support a expansion franchise. LA, San Antonio, and possibly Vegas could support a team but the NFL wil probably never go to Vegas with the gambling. So I think only 2 markets in the US could support a franchise. But they could go to Toronto, or Mexico City.

Are you serious? I can think of viable sites for 5 U.S. teams right off the top of my head:

-- Los Angeles (2)

-- New York, particularly Manhattan/Queens.

-- Memphis

-- Birmingham

Then add Toronto, Mexico City, San Antonio, Las Vegas (sans gambling) or a whole host of other cities the NFL could potentially expand to.

I could see the Raiders relocating to become the New York team, changing their name to the "Manhattan Transfers." :D

nav-logo.png

You need more than just population or interest in football to start a franchise. There needs to be money. A stadium. An attractive TV market. Enough distance (geographically and emotionally) from any other franchise for that not to cause a problem.... And then there are other problems that would arise in individual cases (the CFL in Toronto, even more international and economic issues with Mexico City, the gambling in Vegas, etc.).

I read that the NFL was considering putting two teams in LA, but I can't imagine why it would have to go that far.... Just take the Saints out of New Orleans and put them in Southern California. It's an easy solution.

Are you serious? I can think of viable sites for 5 U.S. teams right off the top of my head:

-- Los Angeles (2)

-- New York, particularly Manhattan/Queens.

-- Memphis

-- Birmingham

Then add Toronto, Mexico City, San Antonio, Las Vegas (sans gambling) or a whole host of other cities the NFL could potentially expand to.

I could see the Raiders relocating to become the New York team, changing their name to the "Manhattan Transfers." :D

You think Birmingham(pop.242,820) a city smaller than Buffalo (pop. 282,864) could support a NFL franchise. Memphis possibly could but the state of Tennessee just got a new franchise 10 years ago. Why would LA need 2 teams they could not support two teams before. Give them one then see how that goes and mabye add another a decade later. New York 3 teams? They are having trouble now getting new stadiums for the Jets and Giants. They don't need a third team.

saBS.png

Archived