Traditional names

roadatlanta4

Its seems like everytime we hear of a new franchise/team coming into a league the name is some crazy animal or thing that is trying to be fierce or intimidating when all it is a flashy logo.....most of the time stupid and ridiculous(cough ABA cough).

Look at the NFL the expansions since 1995

Panthers

Jaguars

Ravens

Titans

Texans....actually not bad so this can be a slight exception

MLB isnt too bad....well besides these first 2

Diamond Backs

Devil Rays

Rockies

Nationals

Marlins

The NBA is ridiculous

Bobcats

Raptors

Magic

Grizzlies

Timberwolves

Of course we cant for get the NHL

Mighty Ducks

Hurricanes

Wild

Thrashers

Predaters

Lightning

Avalanche

Coyotes....and most of these teams ruined great teams like the Jets and the Nordiques

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its seems like everytime we hear of a new franchise/team coming into a league the name is some crazy animal or thing that is trying to be fierce or intimidating when all it is a flashy logo.....most of the time stupid and ridiculous(cough ABA cough).

Panthers

Jaguars

Ravens

Titans

Diamond Backs

Devil Rays

Rockies

Nationals

Marlins

The NBA is ridiculous

Bobcats

Raptors

Magic

Grizzlies

Timberwolves

Mighty Ducks

Hurricanes

Wild

Thrashers

Predaters

Lightning

Avalanche

Coyotes....and most of these teams ruined great teams like the Jets and the Nordiques

Neither Titans nor Texans are "new" to the NFL.

Both names were associated with AFL, NFL, and Arena league teams.

And the Nationals name goes way back also - probably before your lifetime. :)

The Ravens name was voted on by the fans of Baltimore as a tribute to Edgar Allan Poe, a Baltimore native.

sig1.gif

Panthers

Jaguars

Ravens

Titans

Diamond Backs

Devil Rays

Rockies

Nationals

Marlins

The NBA is ridiculous

Bobcats

Raptors

Magic

Grizzlies

Timberwolves

Mighty Ducks

Hurricanes

Wild

Thrashers

Predaters

Lightning

Avalanche

Neither Titans nor Texans are "new" to the NFL.

Both names were associated with AFL, NFL, and Arena league teams.

And the Nationals name goes way back also - probably before your lifetime. :)

The Ravens name was voted on by the fans of Baltimore as a tribute to Edgar Allan Poe, a Baltimore native.

As far as the beasts you named....I like the helmets/names for every one of the teams.

Panthers

Jaguars

Ravens

Diamond Backs

Devil Rays (Too bad they caved to pressure to drop the Devil...that IS the name of the fish)

Marlins

Bobcats

Raptors (though I'm glad about a rumor that they are replacing the "Barney" logo with a one less cartoony)

Grizzlies

Timberwolves (great name...too good for the NBA, should have been NHL or NFL,sorry)

Mighty Ducks (they 86'ed the Mighty and improved the logo)

Wild (well, this one sucks but I'm not a fan of singular names)

Thrashers

Predators

Coyotes. (haven't liked either logo)

Aside from the fact that most of the nicknames you called out are actually pretty great in my opinion (Thrashers, Timberwolves, Ravens, etc), think about the team names that have been around for 50-100 years. I mean, imagine if a team started up right now and called themselves the Angels. How many jokes would come of that? Red and White Sox? Knickerbockers?

Those names are all classic and nobody ever really stops to think about how ridiculous they sound nowadays. And you're complaining about large animals and warriors?

That being said, all singular names suck and should be outlawed.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

I agree...listgen to these...

Bobby Hull was a Jet

Yzerman was a Red Wing

Iginla is a Flame

Kariya is a Predator

These sound good. The following...do not.

Gaborik is a Wild (What???)

Mr. X is a Magic (Can't think of anyone on the team)

Malone was a Jazz (makes NO sense!)

All teams must be pluralized.

-out

I agree...listgen to these...

Bobby Hull was a Jet

Yzerman was a Red Wing

Iginla is a Flame

Kariya is a Predator

These sound good. The following...do not.

Gaborik is a Wild (What???)

Mr. X is a Magic (Can't think of anyone on the team)

Malone was a Jazz (makes NO sense!)

All teams must be pluralized.

-out

Wildman, Magician and Jazzman?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I like the Ravens name a lot. It is different, but not stupid, and it has a tie to the Baltimore area.

Titans is another good one, though it is odd seeing it used by a team located in Tennessee.

The NBA and NHL names listed are generally abysmal for reasons that are too lengthy to list .

yah there are a lot of animal names but what else are you gonn name teams after? you can't really do plants except for Maple Leafs, people the only thing worse then animasl in my opinion is names like speed, destruction, rebels rage, names named after emotion are a lot worse then animals. We need more names that honou stuff like the city or military (ie Maple Leafs, Red Wings, Blue Jackets and Patriots)

untitled-6.jpg

We need more names that honou stuff like the city or military (ie Maple Leafs, Red Wings, Blue Jackets and Patriots)

I agree wholeheartedly. Those that you mentioned are great, as are Dodgers (at least the name made sense when the team was in Brooklyn), Texas Rangers, Pistons, Brewers and many others. Teams just need to put a little thought into the process, instead of narrowing their lists down to insipid choices. "Ok fans, choose between Wind, Wildcats or Fury."

yeah, but Wind, Wildcats and Fury work anywhere, so if the owners decide to pull up stakes every couple of years and move the team somewhere else... they can keep using the same letterhead! lol

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

yeah, but Wind, Wildcats and Fury work anywhere, so if the owners decide to pull up stakes every couple of years and move the team somewhere else... they can keep using the same letterhead! lol

Ha ha, good one. And by the way, you have the funniest avatar that I have ever seen. I can't stop laughing every time I see it.

yeah, but Wind, Wildcats and Fury work anywhere, so if the owners decide to pull up stakes every couple of years and move the team somewhere else... they can keep using the same letterhead!  lol

Ha ha, good one. And by the way, you have the funniest avatar that I have ever seen. I can't stop laughing every time I see it.

yah i have to agree that's one dam funny avatar

untitled-6.jpg

Panthers

Jaguars

Ravens

Titans

Diamond Backs

Devil Rays

Rockies

Nationals

Marlins

The NBA is ridiculous

Bobcats

Raptors

Magic

Grizzlies

Timberwolves

Mighty Ducks

Hurricanes

Wild

Thrashers

Predaters

Lightning

Avalanche

The team names you mentioned are almost all fine and in some cases great, with the exception of some of the collective noun names and some abstract concepts.

I'm not even sure what qualifies as a "crazy" animal unless the Las Vegas Mutated Lab Rats or New Jesery Rapid Dogs enter a league soon.

The NFL names you mentioned are all fine, being either local animals, tied to the city's history or alliterative. In fact, even though it is a fine name, I feel the Texans is the worst of them, considering that there is already a team in Texas. I mean Dallas fans have to feel a little wierd saying stuff like "Texans suck", its a bit unfair.

Older teams like the Chargers, Lions, Redskins, Dolphins and Seahawks all have good names, but could be castigated as abstract, uninspired, racist, wussy, and "crazy", they surely would have made your list if they were recent expansion teams.

As for baseball, I think the Diamondbacks is a great name; its local, unique, and - maybe this is a stretch here - is cool because it is a baseball team with the word diamond in it. I agree with you that Devil Rays is bad.

The Timberwolves, Grizzlies (especially considering their Vancouver heritage), and Bobcats are all fine names. The Magic and Raptors are horrendous though.

I have to say, the NHL has really come short with many of their new teams. But still the Hurricanes, Lightning and Avalanche (exceptions to the collective noun rule), and Coyotes are all local names that are good.

Lastly, there are many bad team names that have been around for a while- such as the Astros (lame, despite its local relevance) and as Lucky mentioned the Angels.

The problem is with so many teams already in existence, it is hard to come up with a good original name. Colleges have often taken the best local names and the generic ones (which are usually kind of lame) are running out. Many established teams get a pass on weak names anyway, because they have been around for a long time. The Giants, Jets, Lions, Cardinals, Hawks, Falcons, Athletics, Nationals are all vanilla. They just happen to have been around for so long, they became classic. The best team names are original and local: Vikings, Pistons, Yankees, 49ers, Buccaneers, Steelers, Celtics, Seahawks etc. When this happens, collective nouns names even get a passing grade: Jazz (only when they were in New Orleans, of course), Avalanche, Heat.

I apologize for quibbling, but how is Lightning a local name? Isn't there lightning everywhere in the U.S. and southern Canada?

Tampa Bay has something like the second largest number of lightening strikes per year in the world.

indians4.png

-Terry Pluto

I would contend that the history of the team that is associated with the name matters more than the name itself. Think about one of the most historic/retrocool names out there--the Green Bay Packers. They were named after the Indian Packing Company, and have been called the Indian Packers or the Acme Packers depending on their sponsorship at the time. Yet I would wager this name fits in the "good" category of names at the beginning of this thread because a) it's been in use for 85+ years, and B) because the Packers have historically been one of the more successful NFL teams.

Imagine if a team right now was nicknamed after a corporation. Everyone would have a field day with it. But any of these names, no matter how crappy they seem now, might seem steeped in tradition to our grandkids. What if, in 2084, the Atlanta Thrashers have won 12 championships, or the Jacksonville Jaguars have 26 Pro Football Hall of Famers. Fans might then think that these are some of the most revered names in their sports. Like so many other things, it's impossible to judge a name without the benefit of historical perspective.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Mighty Ducks

Hurricanes

Wild

Thrashers

Predaters

Lightning

Avalanche

If by "most" you mean 3 of 9, then you are correct. <_<

Archived