NHL - No Third Jerseys, And The Switch To Reebok..

LoligerBS

So I found this on the SabresFans message board, sounds like he found it somewhere on the Blackhawks website:

Saw this posted somewhere: (blackhawks)

Thanks for input regarding our third jersey. We will be staying with our current third jersey for the 2006-07 season. The NHL has notified the teams that they will suspend the third jersey program for the 2007-08 season. We have discussed several options for the our third jersey when the NHL resumes the third jersey program for the 2008-09 season, and have not yet finalized our strategy. Once again, thanks for your input and we look forward to seeing you at the United Center this season.

Sounds to me like this will be the last year for regular, old school hockey jerseys. It could be the only reason why they would get rid of the 3rd jerseys, to go to the Reebok Swift Jersesy style.

Sad news for hockey purists, but i guess we'll wait and see...

This also brings into question the vintage program - - The Sabres are gonna wear the vintage as their third, but all of buffalo will be pissed if they go only with the slug.

And finally, the only upside: Could they be going back to White at home, colors on the road?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a topic that I'm really on the fence about. Part of me says "if something isn't broke, why **** with it?" and another says, "there's nothing wrong with new." I really just don't know where to stand.

I like hockey jerseys the way they are. I don't want tight, spandexy crap. Who gives a ****? There is really no performance enhancement, whatsoever. Need everyone be reminded of the Olympics and the non-swift jersey wearing Swedes. "Enhancement" or not, better teams still win.

I also don't like the idea of shutting down the third jersey program (but at least that says it WILL be back.) I could care less if a team has 2, 3 or 30 jerseys. Hell, I like variety.

Hmm, I think the NHL may just be revamping all the teams' jerseys to make money off their sales. They can only sell so many of the same old Canadiens, Blackhawks, etc jerseys. Sure they make money off the teams who have newer 3rds, but a league rehaul would really bring in the cash.

This is actually news that to me is not all that terrible; the only thirds I would miss are Ottawa's, Atlanta's and Chicago's (and of course the mooterus :D ). But this swift jersey thing really has me terrified. I suppose if you look at a NFL lineman or receiver now compared to 10 years ago you'd see almost as much of a difference, but that trend happened gradually, and still wouldn't look as silly as it will on the ice. These uniforms are SUPPOSED to be baggy. And there isn't a fan alive that would look good in one of those form-fitting things.

Does that mean no more navy blue "Statue of Liberty" Rangers' Jersey, I luved that jersey

my gut tells me that the liberty logo will be on the front of the jerseys, either way.

i can't imagine diagonal text looking good on a spiderman costume.

I could live with this swift jersey thing if they did one thing--Had each team get their own designers for the jerseys. Instead they are all going to look the same because it is cheaper and easier.

And sorry, but one of the things hockey has going for it is the colorful jerseys that people like to buy. When the swift jerseys come out, a lot of people won't want them--particularly those carrying a few extra pounds.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Well, if this goes down like it seems it's going to, I'd like to thank Reebok in advance for finally figuring out a way to make me stop buying hockey jerseys. And they said it couldn't be done!

Interesting consequence of this change, if it's true: Anaheim and Buffalo will have to re-vamp their uniforms - again - after wearing their new duds for one season. So if you're a Ducks or Sabres fan, you might find yourself buying a new jersey in '06, a new jersey in '07, and a new third jersey in '08. Now I see what Reebok's up to...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That was an email which was sent to me from the Blackhawks' PR staff in response to a question I had asked them regarding the third jersey (requesting that they change them). Funny thing is, I got that email yesterday morning, posted it on a St. Louis Blues forum, and to my surprise...it's here when I make my daily check of the CC Forums! :shocked::hockeysmiley:

(Sorry if I seem so jacked up about this, it's just weird to see my email all over 'teh intarwebs' like that in less than 24 hours! :D )

I'd like to chime in with my thoughts on these swift jerseys for a second.

First off ... the thought that they will look futuristic and spandexy i don't think is accurate. If anything ... i believe that seeing the players on the ice in these things will only harken back to a more traditional "Jacques Plante" era. And personally, i love that idea ... this will actually have a fairly large impact on the sport i think ... by widening the gap between speed/skill players and big/tough players. the middle ground will not be as prevelant ... just my thought on that.

As for the 'template' argument ... i don't think this will even be a consideration. I think the NHL knows all too well that their fans are not interested in losing their tradition ... the jerseys will all remain exactly the same .. and each team will have liberty to design their jersey as they see fit ... some might redesign their stuff though to consider the fact that their 'canvas' has changed in form, so they may have new designs to better compliment that. Traditional teams will not be making silly changes at all though.

Lastly .. the tight fitting jerseys will most likely be tight fitting on players wearing pads ... not on your average human wearing skin. they won't be as poncho-esque as jerseys now ... but they will not be form fitting or spandex.

This is all my own speculation, and I have really no hands on evidence to prove or disprove any of this .. so take it as you will ... just my thoughts.

This is BS. No more Canucks gradient! That is my favorite alternate in all of sports.

This jersey is already gone. They are only wearing the home, road, and blue/green vintage one this year.

Also seconding the "finding a way to make me stop buying hockey jerseys" comment. No way in hell am I buying something like this.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Form fitting or not... the thing I liked best about hockey jersies were that they looked like ponchos. I don't want them to fit "well"... I want them to fit like ponchos. Ah well.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Form fitting or not... the thing I liked best about hockey jersies were that they looked like ponchos.  I don't want them to fit "well"... I want them to fit like ponchos.  Ah well.

No doubt! Everyone knows that a hockey jersey marked "M" is going to fit you like an "XL" in any other article of clothing!

EDIT: Which I think is the reason why my wife hates it when I wear my hockey jerseys.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived