Atlanta hawks going retro... and lime green.

nitroseed

Was it His Airness or the Fab 5 from Michigan? Sure, shorts started getting a little longer in the mid 80s (anyone remember wearing Jams?). But the shorts barely reached mid-thigh. Not grape-smugglers, but not baggy stuff either. Watch some Michigan games with the Fab 5, those shorts were mid-calf. Since those were obnoxiously long (how could you call them SHORTs, they should have been LONGs), a compromise was made to the almost-knee-length shorts are now.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah I saw those unis this morning in the Atlanta paper in an article about 3rd jerseys. they're gonna wear them 4 times this year.

The Golden State Warriors will wear the 60's San Francisco Warriors "The City" uniforms this year, too.

Best way to discourage retro in the NBA: make a rule so it has to be completely retro...in other words, SHORT SHORTS!!!

Good point.  It's not really retro if the jersey is baggy and the shorts reach down to the knees.

Was it His Airness or the Fab 5 from Michigan? Sure, shorts started getting a little longer in the mid 80s (anyone remember wearing Jams?). But the shorts barely reached mid-thigh. Not grape-smugglers, but not baggy stuff either. Watch some Michigan games with the Fab 5, those shorts were mid-calf. Since those were obnoxiously long (how could you call them SHORTs, they should have been LONGs), a compromise was made to the almost-knee-length shorts are now.

Jordan started the craze.  And it just progressed onwards.  UNLV wore baggy shorts during their awesome heyday, and Jalen Rose has been quoted as saying that the Rebels were his inspiration for the baggy shorts.  After the Fab 5 popularized it, there was no turning back.

To whoever started wearing longer shorts, THANK YOU!

legend has it that is one more good thing His Airness brought to basketball.

Thats true but it was for short shorts he did it.  He wanted to wear his "lucky" UNC shorts so he needed bigger shorts to fit them underneath his Bulls shorts.

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

:;): You logohead whippersnappers, in 20 years time you'll all to a geek be waxing nostalgically about the current Mavs or

Thrashers (well maybe NOT...) or Oregon football or Pats unis

when they're revived on "Take The Clock Off The Wall & Smash It Day/Night" or YOUR current most-dreaded uni gets revived!  Because they WILL!!   Gots ta agree that Hawks

repro ain't the same @ baggy leg length... Happy Holidays, Kids, Flame Nice, now, y'hear?

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Jordan may have been the first to bring bigger shorts into the NBA, but it was Alexander Julian's 1988 Charlotte Hornets design which actually integrated a larger, roomier (pleated to boot) pair of shorts into a team's official uniform scheme.

******** POST 800 *********

But still 13th on the leaderboard

The real reason Atlanta adopted this throwback is because it's the only thing uglier than what they've been wearing lately. If they came out wearing Dominique-era unis, the fans would realize how badly they've :censored:ed up their uniforms the last 10-15 years, and they don't want that.

The unis from the Fratello/Spud/Willis era were absolute classics, especially the profile hawk-head logo. Then they did the stupid wraparound Hawk, the two-tone fade, and now they're just boring as hell.

p.s. re: previous post, those old Hornets unis were nice (contrast with the Gumby unis today). Old Magic unis were hot, too. Some expansion teams did really well for themselves.

p.p.s. mre good throwbacks: the Clippers are wearing 78-79 unis this year: powder blue (yes, it's overexposed, but still looks good) and kind of orangey-red, with the shorts saying "CLIPPERS" in nautical flags down the leg. I would kill for a pair of those shorts, but they don't seem to be for sail. That SD Clipper three sails in the sunset logo is hot, too. Despite their almost unending suckage, between Buffalo, SD and LA, that team's had some nice logos/unis (Braves powder blue with feather logo, Braves orange with black diagonal stripe, SD, LA...).

p.p.s. mre good throwbacks: the Clippers are wearing 78-79 unis this year: powder blue (yes, it's overexposed, but still looks good) and kind of orangey-red, with the shorts saying "CLIPPERS" in nautical flags down the leg. I would kill for a pair of those shorts, but they don't seem to be for sail.

As your PUNishment for this remark, you are hereby sentenced to wear the original Atlanta Hawks lime green uniforms with a pair of shorts 3 sizes too small.

I also don't mind the Hawks current look. They're much better from the wrap-around hawk of a few years back. While the 'nique era unis are classics, if they were still wearing those today folks would be screaming for an update by now. The currents are just fine.

Being a T-Wolves fan, i'd love to see the wolves toss out their original set for a game or two. I fondly remember seeing some games during their inaugural season, played in the Metrodome.

taking this further OT, personally the T wolves look is one I can never make my mind up about. Sometimes I think it is great, sometimes I think it looks pretty poor really! Personally I prefer the black uni over the blue one.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

taking this further OT, personally the T wolves look is one I can never make my mind up about. Sometimes I think it is great, sometimes I think it looks pretty poor really! Personally I prefer the black uni over the blue one.

I really liked the Timberwolves' original uniforms.  The only real knock I had against them were that their home uniforms looked incredibly similar to Dallas's.  If they would have reversed the colors on the home uniform so that green rather than blue dominated that would have been a better look for them IMHO.  I have never cared for the uniforms that replaced their originals.

Archived