New hockey movie coming soon

Notch Novelty

I saw one ad where there were no numbers on the CCCP jerseys, and I believe the Soviets had (Western Charactered) Names on the back.

Yes their names were in western charachters. And will they spell the names the same way? (eg. Tretjak as it was spelled then, or Tretiak as it is spelled in the HHOF and now seems to be his correct spelling?) I know its small, but it's the kind of thing Hollywood screws up all the time. Will they put blue nameplates on USA's white sweaters? At a glance, It looks like they did ok, but I don't remeber seeing CCCP's NOB in the ads that I've seen. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I dont think this was a great upset, and I had ZERO interest in seeing this movie, but now I just want to critique the costume people for whatever the did correctly or incorrectly. And as far as equipment, it would be kind of hilarious to see Jim Craig wearing a set of Koho Revolutions. Hopefully, they get it right. Its a nice story, but it wasn't the greatest upset of all time.

On a side note, does anyone know why Tretiak left the game after the first? I don't think I have ever heard anything about it.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You got that right. If he stays in, theres no way on this earth or any other one that the US wins. Funny thing, though- any time you talk to an American they never mention the fact that the best goaltender that ever lived was sitting on the bench for the last 2 periods of that game. Makes you wonder if they know they lucked out by him leaving the game, or if they're just not aware of what kind of player he was.

we all know the story about Herb Brooks...he had an extremly foul mouth and this is supposed to be a Disney movie?? I'd love to see how Russell portrays Brooks. hehe

btw: I'm not making fun of Brooks, ask any member of the 1980 team..I got that fact right from Ken Morrow.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

You got that right. If he stays in, theres no way on this earth or any other one that the US wins. Funny thing, though- any time you talk to an American they never mention the fact that the best goaltender that ever lived was sitting on the bench for the last 2 periods of that game. Makes you wonder if they know they lucked out by him leaving the game, or if they're just not aware of what kind of player he was.

It was the pure ideology of the Soviet team.  Read Ken Dryden'sThe Game for a lot of it.

Soviets NEVER played as individuals.  Soviet players in the 70's and 80's depended on the open man.  They were horrible at 1 on 1, but strategies would put two on 1, or 3 on 2, etc.  There was always the open man to pass to.

Anyway, any showing of ego on a team in the USSR was considered EXTREMLEY crass.  Tretiak was considered as acting too high, so he got put down a peg.

You know, I read some of the posts here saying that USA Russia wasnt a big upset blah blah blah and it just goes to show you how sore some people are about the USA. They pretend that they like America, but the problem is that deep down they have a real dislike for the USA, and you know what? thats your perrogative, but to say that a group of college boys defeating a bunch of men who were basically professionals wasn't much of an upset, than you dont know what your talking about. That Russian team was chock full of potential NHLers, guys who won numerous medals and trophys, great hockey players those guys did it all. The Russian team eats sleeps and thinks about Hockey all the time. Thats all they did was train. And here we have a group of kids who only had a few months maybe a year together thrown out there to take these guys on, and you know what? we won. So if that doesnt make for an interesting story, you dont have a clue.

btw: I understand that with the current climate of world affairs that the USA isnt the most popular on the planet, but to listen to canadians rant how "America sucks" just makes me sick. If you dont like my country heres a piece of advice. stay home. dont come here to become a citizen, dont come here looking for work. dont come here with your stories of economic hardship in your own country only to come here and bitch. I know that most canadians are good people and Its my above rant inst towards the good ones. Its as always the small few that get a chuckle out of rubbing my flag through the mud.

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

Actually I have made that comment before. Again Canadians trying to take away from USA's glory!

Koho Revolutions? Are you kidding me, they haven't made them in 8 years. BTW - read original post with original message and you can even watch the trailer with all the nice uniys and equipment pretty realistic.

No one besides Canadians and die hard hockey fans would go see Canada Cup Movie or GB over Canada

Just to make this clear. I have never said in this thread that USA beating the Russians wasn't an upset. Was it bigger than GB over Canada, hard to say. My understanding of the US college sports system (and maybe I am being unfair here) is that college sports people are more or less full time athletes, with some studying thrown in. The GB team of 1936 would have been made up completely of amateurs. People who trained when they could after a day working in the bank/butcher shop/building site whatever. The world of olympic sport had changed massively between 1936 and 1980, so it is impossible to truly compare. Thats my point.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

GB over Canada was a much bigger upset then US over USSR.... Canada was winning games with an average score of 11-1 over the span of the last 4 olympic tournaments, and hadn't lost a single game in any of those tournaments.

They were playing Great Britian, not exactly the biggest hockey nation in the world. In fact in their previous olympic appearance before the 1936 olympics they didn't win a game and were outscored 21-1.

NO CONTEST in comparison.

There is no way that that game is a bigger upset than US over USSR. Your dealing with a team that was unbeatable, and was considered by most the greatest team ever... and US college kids beat them? no no no.. that's not supposed to happen, and it shouldn't have happened.. if you play 10 games the Russians win 10 times, there is no way the U.S. wins that game... but they did. Biggest upset of all time, hands down, no doubt.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Next thing you know they'll be accusing this thread of having weapons of mass destruction....

On a more serious note, I think we all agree that US over USSR was a big upset, noone is disagreeing with that.  The debate here seems to be between two things:

1) What's the biggest upset?

2) Will this movie be any good?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Next thing you know they'll be accusing this thread of having weapons of mass destruction....

On a more serious note, I think we all agree that US over USSR was a big upset, noone is disagreeing with that. The debate here seems to be between two things:

1) What's the biggest upset?

2) Will this movie be any good?

1) USA def USSR 1980

2) It's Disney...

And as for weapons of mass destruction.. well. who knows what you sneaky, crafty canadians are up too....

Although i would like to claim that Rush and Avril Lavigne are the worst biological weapons ever to come out of Canada and they should be destroyed... :P

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Koho Revolutions? Are you kidding me, they haven't made them in 8 years. BTW - read original post with original message and you can even watch the trailer with all the nice uniys and equipment pretty realistic.

sorry about that, Revolutions were just the 1st brand name that popped into my head. would you feel better if i were to ask if Vladimir Petrov's charachter will be using a Vapor XX stick?  :D  - just joking. I'm sure on the first day that movie is out one or more of us will find something thats not quite right. Either way- it's all in fun. It's a wonderful story, hopefully it will be a well done movie, and I think we can all agree that if this movie makes a few more people want to follow hockey, then it is a very good thing.

Hey, you guys have another Rush that's a piece of trash.....

Agreed on Lavigne.... :D

Ditto's on Avril (pun intended).

However I have to admit I was very much the huge Rush fan in high school and college - saw 'em 4 times in concert.  BTW, their guitarist and his son were both arrested for their involvement in a bar fight over the weekend.  I never pegged Alex as a bar fight kinda guy.

Whatever happened to the Jack Klugman and Steve Guttenberg version?

And why no mention of it here?

As a proud Australian, I would say the old Miracle on Ice is one of my favorite movies, and  can't wait for the latest version.

PS The Miracle on Ice nickname has now been taken for the Aussie guy who won gold in the Winter Olympics when everyone else on the race fell over just before the finish line.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

I never said anyone here made the "USA sucks" comment. This is bent up frustration of visiting canada many times to enjoy the great sport of Hockey only to have people in canada tell me daily how America sucks how bad our government is etc. etc..

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

Archived