Random MLB logo question...

JayMack23

After Johan Santana won the 2004 Cy Young, I thought the Twins should have done a cap day giveaway along these lines:

cycapjohan.jpg

Personally, I object to the TC logo on design grounds. The red C offers so little contrast with the midnight blue cap fabric that at any distance under anything other than perfect lighting conditions, it's just a cap with a broken white T. If the Twins made it an all-white TC, or an all-red TC with a white outline, or made it a red-and-blue TC with a white outline, or put a red-and-blue TC on a white Minnesota silhouette, or any of the many dozens of things even a sap like me can think of to give the logo better contrast and visibility, I'd be a much happier Twins fan. The Twins are pretty much the last team in the big leagues using an unoutlined red-on-navy cap logo, and there is a very good reason everyone else stopped putting red on navy without a contrasting outline.

20082614447.png

Those TC caps, by the way, were worn all across the Upper Midwest by little kids in the 1960s. There are gazillions of pics with me wearing a TC cap. You could buy them just about everywhere, including my dad's grocery store.

When I first moved up to Minneapolis when I was 6, I thought the "TC" stood for Twins Cap. I'm smarter now, but not by much. :P

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

When the Washington Senators became the Minnesota Twins in 1961, owner Calvin Griffith decided to put the TC on the caps for Twin Cities Twins, however, as mentioned earlier, MLB nixed the idea, forcing Griffith to name the team the Minnesota Twins. Yet he decided to keep the TC on the caps for the Twin Cities the team represented, Minneapolis and St. Paul, because Griffith felt that if he put an M on the cap for Minnesota, he would have thought some people would not only mistake the M for Minneapolis but offend the people of St. Paul (although in 1987, the Twins would put a letter M on the caps).

IMHO, the Twins should ditch the baseball logo (even though that was their logo when the Twins won the World Series in 1987 and 1991) and return the Twin Men with the M (Minneapolis) and StP (St. Paul) shaking hands over the Mississippi River on the Minnesota map as the main logo.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

I really like that groovy handshake logo, but I think it's better suited as a secondary/sleeve logo. The current primary is nice and traditional for official matters that necessitate the primary logo. The primary/secondary distinction is really just kinda nominal in this scenario, since the secondary would the one being worn every day in some form

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived