Early 90s Champion football jerseys and font

buster04

I have that exact ND jersey with the #61 of Tim Ruddy.

I didn't want the #3 Powerless or #1 Mays version they sold that year.

Congrats?

What an idiot...Get a life...

Mike

Don't worry, he (JFR) doesn't like anybody or anything and has little constructive comments. Just read the comments that he posts in the search area for all posts by a member.

I always loved the Champion font, including the letters (not sure if the teams using it again have the same letters). I have always been a Bears fan because I live in Chicago, but growing up, my second favorite team was the Bills. Of course, the Bills used that font during the Superbowl (losing) era. It doesn't work for every team, but it looks good in moderation. To me, a unique but nice font like that is much better than the team making their own stylized crazy font.

Well, to be honest, as much as I've always HATED the number font, I always liked the letter font that they used. I didn't like that they always used on on NFL replicas for EVERY team, but overall it was a sharp look. Just HATED the numbers. Have I mentioned that?

There were a few teams that wore jerseys made by Champion, not only in the early 90s, but also near the tail end of the decade. I just saw Wyoming\Colorado from 1997 on Fox College Sports (FCS) and the Cowboys numbers looked just like those on the Notre Dame jersey in question. Not too square, but round enough.

In 1987, the New England Patriots switched to Champion jerseys with the standard Champion number and name font. It all looked so out of place that the very next year the team went right back to the traditional varsity style numbers they had worn the previous two decades.

Archived