MVP: Jermaine Dye

La Liga National

Manager: Joe Girardi

ROTY: Dan Uggla

CY: Chris Carpenter

MVP: Ryan Howard

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I'm starting to rethink the NL MVP even though its been about 24 hours before I said my pick, and my bias is setting in.

Pujols' rankings:

BA: 4th (.321)

HR: 2nd T (44)

RBI: 2nd (116)

Runs: 7th (102)

SLG: 1st (.686)

SO: 27

Howard's rankings:

BA: 8th (.309)

HR: 1st (53)

RBI: 1st (134)

Runs: 15th (89)

SLG: 2nd (.665)

SO: 154 (second in NL...the bad kind of 2nd)

Beltran:

BA: 31st (.286)

HR: 4th (39)

RBI: 3rd (114)

Runs: 1st (115)

SLG: 3rd (.626)

SO: 87

One bad stat stands out for all three players. Howard's K's, Beltran's AVG, and Pujols...actually he doesn't have a stat I'd be upset about. Perhaps his double production (27 to Beltran's 36 and Howard's 18) and he's not leading the league in runs, something that he has done for the last few years, or at least been top 3.

Add to this, their fielding. Beltran is a gold glover. Pujols is most likely a gold glover. Howard is a good but not great first basemen. Defense is half the game in my eyes. This is why I don't give Ortiz the MVP in the AL. Beltran might be better than Pujols...but he's still not batting .300...

The one thing that is huge for me is he (pujols) missed 17 games with his oblique injury. Times his stats out and:

HR: 50 (hits one roughly every 2.7 games)

RBI: 132 (roughly one per game)

SO: 31 (once every 4 games)

Runs: 116 (little less than one per game)

Damn close to Howard's.

"but you can't do that, injuries are part of the game" you might say. If a guy went on a one week tear, a month tear or something then yes, you can't do that. (Ex: Pujols was on pace until he got injured to hit 75 HRs and 195 RBIs...After April he was on pace to hit 123 HRs...like I said, not a big enough sample size) But 17 games out of the season is in reality, all that is keeping Pujol's numbers from not being the same as Ryan Howard's.

Now that I look at the stats a bit more, and realize who else they have on the team (Beltran is surrounded, Pujols has Rolen and to a much lesser extent Duncan, Howard had Abreu but has excelled without him) I'd have to say the best player this year is Pujols and the Most Valuable is very tight between Pujols and Howard.

Thanks for saying exactly what I wanted to say PCGD. I have to cut back on talk that praises my guys around here for a while it seems, but what you really posted are the facts.

In my opinion, the MVP right now would be Howard's anyways, but it's not like he's wrapped it up already. Pujols is sitting right behind him and starting to go on a tear.

Somethings to note...

Pujols deserve some thought for his games missed to injury, but not too much. To be honest, his stats might be huge if not for that injury, because he was on record setting pace in a few areas (and this was quite a few games in), but you can't project that, and that should count. The simple fact that he had to miss some games should be taken into account, but it shouldn't be weighted too heavily.

Beltran should not be punished for being on a good team. Take a bit away from him for protection, and maybe don't put full value in his RBIs because the Mets put guys on base for him, but don't punish him too much just because he has good teammates too. In my opinion, MVP should go to the guy who'd be the most valuable playing on any team in the league. Right now, I don't think Beltran's too close to the award, but he's in okay position.

Niether Pujols (nor Beltran) should have an advantage over Howard for making the playoffs. While all three players are keys to their team's success, making the playoffs is a team effort. I can understand not wanting to give the award to a player on a team WAY below .500, but don't punish a player from being on a poor team.

Howard should not have an advantage over Pujols (or much of one over Beltran as previously covered) because the Phillies have a weak lineup. Clear out the thoughts of previous years where the Cards had a powerful lineup. Those days are no more in some ways. The Cards have good players with decent production, some who occassionally play over their head, but the Cards lineup isn't much better than the Phillies at all. Edmonds has been hurt for a while, and wasn't much of a factor most of the year anyways. The Cardinals have Rolen. They've had Duncan as off late, and Encarnacion has been steady all year. That's it. The Phillies have Utley and Burrell to help Howard. The Cards lineup MIGHT be better, but not by much. Don't overrate it.

So, with the exception of a small hit to Beltran, the stats should tell the story, not the other factors.

I also would like to see the "clutch" and "game winning" stats have some impact on the vote. I don't have a clue what Howard's and Beltran's are, but I know that Albert's are rather amazing. He had yet another game winning RBI and HR tonight.

In conclusion, right now I think Howard's the leader with Pujols a close second. As a Cardinals fan, I'm rooting for (and I think it will happen that) Albert will end up with the stats to pass Howard and take the MVP.

LOL A True Yankees Fan posted these...what a freaking JOKE!

AL MVP - Derek Jeter* (the captain, leader, heart or the franchise/city)

AL CYA - Ching Ming Wang* (my sleeper pick)

AL ROY - Melky Cabrerra* or Justin Verlander

AL MOY - Jim Leyland (duh!?)

Sorry to tell you but Jeter is one of the most overrated players in the history of MLB. There are so many more deserving AL players other then jeter. And could you please tell me what Melky has done to prove himself as ROY. The only person i can actaully see happening, and its a far chance is Wang

My Picks

AL MVP: Dye

AL CY: Santana

AL ROY: Verlander

AL MOY: Leyland

NL MVP: Howard, god we love him here in Philly! Howard = GOD

NL CY: Webb, has been nasty all year, and his team isnt all that great

NL ROY: Uggla, very week year for offensive ROY

NL MOY: Jerry Narron, Sleeper pick, but this team isnt made to win a race or even be in ANY race, and they have been giving hell to the Cardinals all year, but also is still somewhat in the wildcard race

AL:

MVP-David Ortiz

Cy- Johann Santana

MOY: Leyland

ROY: Justin Verlander, had Liriano not been injured it would have been his.

NL:

MVP-Pujols

Cy-Carpenter

MOY-Girardi

ROY-Right now, I'd have to say more than likely Johnson, but if Johnson wasn't having such a great year I think it would be a tight race between Uggla, Fielder, and a guy that hasn't been mentioned as much in the race but I think deserves more credit, Ryan Zimmerman.

nlroyqp2.png

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Tough Call this year, but here it goes

AL CY Young: Johan Santana, Justin Verlander, Roy Halladay, and Papelbon have been so great this year that who knows who will win it, will it be a former Cy Young Award Winner or will it be a rookie? I'll go with Johan Santana as he is always dominate, but I will say Halladay second and Verlander Third

AL ROY: I'm going Verlander right here, he has been a great pitcher for the Tigers and has been one of the many reasons why they have the best record. Liriano is great but when it comes down to playing the Tigers who are also in the hunt for the playoffs he has not had a great record this year against them. Plus the injury hurts his chances as well. Papelbon has been phenomenal this year, but seeing how the Red Sox has been playing the past month, this will hurt his chances getting the Rookie of the Year. My vote goes to Verlander as he has been strong since the beginning.

AL MVP: Tough one but I will say Dye. Great player and is becoming a leader on the diamond. Same can be said for Jeter who is coming off a great year as he has stepped up and has helped the Yankees. But Dye has kept his team up all year and I think he will get the MVP award this year. I kept on saying it would be Ortiz, but with the Red Sox coming off a terrible month and he may miss more time it would be pretty tough to call him the MVP.

Overall I think the Central will have every award also with Leyland as MOY. You can say that the Central has been dominate as the Tigers have the best record in the American League and there are two teams that are on top of the Wild Card.

AL MVP: Jermaine Dye

AL Cy Young: Johan Santana

AL ROY: Justin Verlander

Manager of the Year: Jim Leyland

Dye has the combination of high average and good power numbers. Jeter would be second as he is the glue on that team. To all the Ortiz fans, he has great power numbers but isn't even the Sox's MVP. Anyone notice that Boston's looked lost since Varitek has gone down? Varitek's Boston's MVP.

NL MVP: Albert Pujols

NL Cy Young: Chris Carpenter

NL ROY: Dan Uggla

Manager of the Year: Joe Girardi. He should get a medal for putting up with that idiot Loria.

While Beltran brings two other things to the table that the others in consideration for MVP bring, his defense and stolen bases, for the same reason I wouldn't give the MVP to Ortiz, I wouldn't to Beltran (he's my second but if the average was 30 points higher.) Howard is impressive but has lackluster defense (14 errors) and 0 steals. Pujols great power and run production only 5 errors and at least he's stolen 5 bases.

OK, here's how I see NL MVP. Howard's good, but not quite good enough to be MVP.

Right now, he has 56 homers. Sounds OK, but when you realize he hit half of them in the bandbox that is Citizens Bank Park, the number is not that impressive.

Second, he's not on a team fighting for a division title, like Pujols, Beltran, or Wright is.

Third, remember that Pujols is down about 15 games to him. Pujols's stats, if extrapolated out, are better than Howard's.

LvZYtbZ.png

Heres someone to ponder from the Mets thats not mentioned Jose Reyes.

27 Doubles 16 Triple 18 tripples batting .300, 113 Runs scored 56 stolen bases and 74 RBI as a lead off hitter. Not many players have had seasons this good as a leadoff hitter.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

OK, here's how I see NL MVP.  Howard's good, but not quite good enough to be MVP.

Right now, he has 56 homers.  Sounds OK, but when you realize he hit half of them in the bandbox that is Citizens Bank Park, the number is not that impressive.

Second, he's not on a team fighting for a division title, like Pujols, Beltran, or Wright is.

Third, remember that Pujols is down about 15 games to him.  Pujols's stats, if extrapolated out, are better than Howard's.

You're current location is showing in South Jersey so I'm assuming that you get to see Phillies games on a fairly regular basis, or at least the highlights of their games through ESPN if need be.

It's not like Howard's home runs tend to be of a cheap variety, most are 350+, and he regularly drives them over 400. Unless he were playing in the Polo Grounds and hitting the ball to dead center hits shots are going to be leaving any stadium in baseball 95% of the time.

Next: When extrapolating, do you not count the 3 HR's that Pujols hit in the 1st 2 games this season because they were hit in the same "band box" Howard plays in?

Now on to the idea that his #'s somehow mean less because his team is not at the top of the division. If anything I think that adds more weight to his numbers, especially when compared to someone from the Mets. The Mets have no pressure on them at this point, they haven't since mid-May. Meanwhile every games the Phillies play is incredibly crucial to their season, and Howard is straight-up carrying his team.

Howard's stats from the last 16 games: 26-for-56 (.464) with 13 homers, 26 RBIs and 20 runs scored.

Extrapolate those and you get a guy with #'s of .464, 131 HR's, 262.25 RBI's. Yeah that's rediculous, I know, but so is a guy putting up those numbers in the middle of an actual race. They're just sick.

To me the MVP has always been just that: that player Most Valuable to their team. Take away Beltran, or Wright and the Mets are still 10+ up. Take away Pujols and the Cards are probably still in 1st (thanks to a terrible division). Take away Howard and Pat Gillick would have been right when he conceded the season on July 29th.

I made my awards pick about 10 days ago and did not include manager of the year. Had I included it, I'd have picked Jim Leyland for the AL and included something like "obviously."

However, Mike and Mike show recently had one of them suggesting something that makes sense to me.

The Tigers are in jeopardy of blowing their lead. The Twins have been on Fire since mid June and continued to play well through two key injuries to the starting rotation.

Perhaps Ron Gardenhire is going to make this a bit less of a slam dunk for Leyland.

Also, for AL Cy Young. If Santana's last few starts are solid, the award is his. However, if he gets shelled once, it will be Chen Ming Wang.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

AL MVP: Derek Jeter. They guy has been near at the top of the league in hitting all season. He carried the Yankees during the middle of the year when they had all the injuries and the Starting pitching was struggling. He is a gold golve shortstop has well and is the heart of the Yankees who right now have the best record in the AL. I think he edges out Dye and Santana. I can buy the argument for those two winning it over Jeter however there is no way David Ortiz should win it. It's the most valuable player, not the best slugger award. The Red Sox are going to finish 10 games out of the playoffs they would finish 10 games out without him. There is the possibility of Toronto passing them in the standings. Take interleague play out of the equation the Red Sox are a below .500 team. There is no way Ortiz should get over guys who have carried their teams to the playoffs. Take Derek Jeter off the Yankees this season and they don't have the best record in the AL, in fact they might have missed the playoffs. That's why he should be the AL MVP.

AL CY Young Young- Johan Santana. No debate

ROY- Verlander

Manager- Wait and see what happens to Detroit. THey hold on and get in it's Leyland if not it's Gardenhire.

Little League (NL) MVP: Ryan Howard. The Phillies just give away Abreu and Lidle and the they are still in the Wild Card race. It's all because of Howard.

LL CY Young- Have no clue.

LL ROY- Prince Fielder

LL Manager- Girardi. It's interesting that he might get fired though. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he went back the Yankees and be the bench coach until Torre retires to where he would be named manager. Although the Cubs and every other team is a possibility.

Little League (NL)

:D

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Take away Pujols and the Cards are probably still in 1st (thanks to a terrible division).

Will's a Phillies fan, and I was surprised to see he thinks it's Pujols award. I get the idea he might think that's where the votes going as opposed to who deserves it, but I'm not completely sure.

As a Cards fan I'm rooting for Albert, think there's a strong case for why he deserves it, and hope h does enough to get it. But I also don't think it's his yet. I think he needs to close the HR and RBI gap a little bit, and then some of the more specific stats will show why he deserves it.

(Also, as being from St. Louis, seeing Howard win it wouldn't be bad at all, but I'm really hoping to see Carpenter and Pujols make history by winning the awards back to back on the same team.)

Anyways, I just wanted to heavily disagree with your assessment that the Cards are in first without Pujols. Not a chance.

Howard has been responsible for a resurgance in the Phils that has them back in contention. Pujols value has been spread out over the season, but he's just as or more important to the Cards winning the division right now as Howard is to the Phils being back in contention.

The Cardinals have guys who can make a really good team if they play to their potential, but none of them have done that consistantly at all--other than Mr. Pujols.

Pujols and Carpenter are the dual MVPs of the Cardinals and the reasons they've stayed ahead in the Central.

Archived