Oilers redesigning their uniforms?

Delicate Genius

On The Team 1260 this morning here in Edmonton, the host asked Oilers President Patrick LaForge of any promotions or changes for the upcoming season. LaForge mentioned a "substantial" change to the Oilers jersey that would be revealed after Christmas. :blink:

Does anyone have any idea? Perhaps it's a design for the form-fitting jerseys? =\

I can only hope they go back to the royal blue and orange look, which was eons ahead of the current extremely-dark-looks-black-on-ice blue with the gold and red.

THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK...

People need to let go of the past, end be opened to new design trends.

I hope they don't go back to the Gretzky era. It was great then, but it belongs in the museum.

And I am a huge fan of the colour Orange, I was in heaven watching Oilers' Islanders' games, two teams I loved, ... oh wait! we only had a Black & White TV set...

Point is, every time a pro franchise talks about changing (like the Sabres) the first words you hear are hope it looks like the old - - fill in the year --- shirts.

tradition is good, but no body here would ever aspire to have a job in design if all that teams did was to stick to the traditional old red, blue, green and black shades.

As a Leafs' I recognize the value of tradition, but I'd love to see a darker shade, or an accent of silver or red somewhere.

And for the records, I think the improvements done to the Oilers, darkening, addition of copper, were one of the best effort of updating while keeping a classig logo I've seen in Pro Sports.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Nah, I think they should go back to the Royal Blue and Hardhat Orange color scheme.

The overall jersey design on the other hand can change.

I'd keep the secondary logo, but it's not the end of the world if they don't.

I hate the alternate logo so I hope they don't switch to that as a primary.

The primary logo seemed more of a letterhead than logo, so they probably could change the logo (which apart form color has had virtually no change it's entire existence) My only requests are that 10 it looks like a hockey logo, ans 20 that it represents something about the nickname and region.

But I reserve the right to ask them to fall back on the classic jeresy every once in a while.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

As a Leafs' I recognize the value of tradition, but I'd love to see a darker shade, or an accent of silver or red somewhere.

Don't the Leafs already have an accent of silver? ^_^

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think they're too dark now. The team's original colours were royal blue and white.

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

And for the records, I think the improvements done to the Oilers, darkening, addition of copper, were one of the best effort of updating while keeping a classig logo I've seen in Pro Sports.

I agree 100%. This was a tremendous update. It made the jersey look much better/bolder and even though orange was eliminated, they maintained their identity.

I hope Edmonton does not touch their uniform (save for ditching the 3rd, which is not even within the team's color scheme).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

LaForge mentioned a "substantial" change to the Oilers jersey that would be revealed after Christmas.

Oh no...Does that mean that there is going to be another thread like the New Sabres Logo??, Possible leak... one with a 1,000 replies speculating on what they are going to look like until they are revealed? :blink::blink::blink:

Yes. It's what we do here.

I also tire of the constant desires for teams to go back to some old jersey whose life has run it's course. There''s nothing wrong with liking what they used to have, but in this modern era of merchandising, teams NEED to keep changing things up in order to sell more gear if they can't keep winning. Going back to old designs full time means people don't need to buy new stuff.

Yes, there's obviously a market for the classics, as evidenced by CCM making old jerseys once again, but that seems to have run it's course. When was the last time they came out with any new things in the Vintage Line? Maybe they skipped a cycle because of the lockout, but it feels like it's been a long, long time to me. If the Vintage Line was an overwhelming, crushing sales success, then teams would be tripping over each other to adopt old looks as fast as possible, but it didn't happen that way. The old ones can only really be seen as good alternates because their sales don't translate into enough cash to force themselves back into the mix as primaries. Long for the days of the Gretzky jerseys, but the only way you are going to see old colors come back is perhaps as an updated take on an old look, but be careful what you ask for, you might get a slug.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Re, eh? You want them to copy the scheme of their most hated rival?

I for one would wish they'd drop the silver and go back to just blue and white.

Well if it won't be revealed until after Christmas, than obviously it will only be an alt, so hopefully it means they are dropping the McFarlane set.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Keep the current color scheme. The old one is too similar to the Islanders.

I would have to disagree with you there. The Islanders current shade of blue is very dark, much darker than royal. It would be like saying that the Rangers look too much like the Blue Jackets.

I really don't care whether they wear the old unis or not. I like their current look, and their retro look. They dropped their alt right? That's all that really matters to me.

You think they might use the modernized current logo they had made up for the 25th Anniversary patch (its also sported on the crown of Dwayne Roloson's Mask)? Its still navy blue, but sans the red (?), but with a "wavy" and "3-D" script?...

~UJ

I like their current colour scheme--it looks great and is unique.

The ISlanders use a different blue & orange--and the shades they use work--the Oilers didn't--those were awful stuck in the 70's unis (But not as bad as their original orange unis)

Please do not go back to the Blue & orange--they trun my stomach--the ones they have now look great, and I know many Oiler fans who would agree...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived